Antarticta2Alaska - An aussie, a kiwi and an AT (take 2)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lostmike, May 15, 2017.

1. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Hi All

Been saving and planning this trip for a while and its finally coming together. The plan is to airfreight the bike to Santaigo in December, catch some of the Dakar, head south to Ushuia through Chile and then head north again hitting Rio for Carnival then crisscrossing our way up. I've been using FURKOT to plan a rough route which has been outstanding.

Have got a year off work to do it and may stay on the road a little longer and head back south down the west coast. During the trip will be heading over to Antarticta and the Galapagos as well as hiking and hopefully some MTBing. (Depending on time and budget)

My partner Meg (Aussie) has the least responsibility being the captain, minister of war and finance, translator, navigator, will be sitting on the back and I (Mike, expat Kiwi, living in Aussie) doing all the important jobs such as piloting and drinking as much beer as I'm allowed.

The Bike
    She's a 16 CRF1000L which I've been spending the last year spending money on and bolting shiny stuff to it. Heres a list if anyones interested.

Andreani cartridges to replace factory front suspension and Ohlins rear shock (Set up for 200kgs load)
    Bark Busters
    Denali LEDS and lightmount, (these are wired up to be running at 50 percent all the time and 100 percent when you have the high beams on.)
    Tractionator Adventure tyres front and rear (May change the front to something less aggressive)
    B&B Rad Guards & Bash plate
    Outback Motortek crash guards
    Unifilter air and pre filters
    Pro Oiler chain oiler
    Zumo 595 GPS on a ram mount on the handlebars
    Powerlet plug in the console
    Neutrino Black box to control everything
    SW Motech shifter
    IMS Pro footpegs
    Cameltanks peg support bracket
    Comfort passenger footpegs
    Outback Motortek Crash Bars
    Barret Exhaust
    Motech racks
    Trax Adventure side cases and topbox
    Cameltanks rear tank
    Enduristan Tank Bag
    Titax Levers
    Homemade tool/tent pole tube.

The gear
    Moonlight 3 Tent (http://thetentlab.com/MoonLightTents/OrderMoonLights.html) Very cool but quite hefty.
    Mix of MSR and Snow peak cooking/eating gear
    Thermarest Sleeping Mats
    Enlightened equipment double sleeping quilt.
    Tools (Put together with what I had in toolbox plus some motion pro stuff and a an awesome airshot motopump.)
    PLB
    Delorme inreach explorer
    Cellphone
    Cheap android tablet
    Cardo Scala comms.

I've done a fair bit of touring round on bikes in the past but if anyone's got any hints or tips or spotted anything I've missed all input will be appreciated. Ill take some pics of the bike fully loaded and the gear and throw it up.

Thanks for reading and hope to see you guys out there.

Attached Files:

Hi-De-Ho and Migolito like this.
  2. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip! One tip; dont let the backseater push you around, sounds like you're already taking on too much responsibility.
    Lostmike likes this.
  3. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Hah. I'm the boss! Whens she's not around.....
    lakota and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  4. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow a year of riding - outstanding!
    Lostmike likes this.
  5. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you know that the cruise companies that sail to Antarctica sometimes sell off any empty berths a day or two before sailing in the travel agents in Ushuaia? There is obviously no guarantee of getting one as it is first come first serve if they have any but much cheaper than the normal price, I think they normally sail November to March.
    Hi-De-Ho and Lostmike like this.
  6. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Yeah thanks I had heard that and was hoping we can pick one up, definitely cant afford the full fare. Fingers crossed the stars will align for a cheap tour. We will be in Ushuia early Jan'ish. Our itinerary is fairly flexible.
  7. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Little update. Still waiting on a few more quotes on freighting the bike. It's a pain in the ass getting it from Alice but doable. Got hold of a good metal bike crate that will do the job nicely. Thanks to Jetcor Yamaha. Also mounted the tubes to hold the the tent poles and my toolkit IMG_5329.JPG
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  8. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    IMG_5327.JPG
  9. 2uptopdown

2uptopdown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey my wife and I are also planning a similar, but shorter version. Planning to airfreight from the US to Santiago in late Dec. We will head South first then wander our way North and eventually ship to Panama from Columbia in late May
    Hi-De-Ho and Lostmike like this.
  10. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Hey would be great to see you on the road. What bike are you taking? I think we are landing around the 17th in santi.
  11. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Well I managed to roll a Yamaha buggy over while camping at Finke. Since it was my mates buggy and being the nice guy that I am I attempted to cushion the impact by putting my hand between the roll bar and the ground. 8 broken bones a couple old of tendons and an expected 6 months in rehab before I'll be pulling a clutch in again...... guess it gives me a bit of time to really work on the routes and practice my Spanish........
  12. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    IMG_5379.JPG

[​IMG]

Before the compartment syndrome set in, the swelling tripled and the surgeons had to hack my hand up. Just got out of hospital. Going to be a long recovery. The new Titax adjustable levers arrived but they are going to have to wait as it's a bit tricky to put them on with one hand.

Attached Files:

13. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    LostMike...dang, that is not a good looking hand. Probably wasn't good looking before all the damage, but....it looks worse now. :-)

I "was" going to tell you about a bike at Camp McMurdo in Antarctica that can be ridden, so you could join the list of the "few" that have ridden a bike in Antarctica, BUT.......this info may have to wait, as it doesn't look like you are going anywhere soon. :(
    Lostmike likes this.
  14. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Hahaha no it was never good looking, Im hoping to be back in action in a few months. Even given up alcohol until its better :(. Be very interested in that bike.
  15. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    LostMike, I hope the very best for you on that hand injury recovery. Been there, had that happen to me. Mine actually broke all fingers in the right hand, except the smallest finger, which was simply dislocated. That was 7 years ago, and to this day I cannot fully close my right hand.

When I was there, a guy in Camp McMurdo had a DR650, and he allowed any "riders" to take his bike on a 5 mile loop around the perimeter of the camp. There was one specific road that looped around, as the primary road, so each rider got one loop. That was back in '04, so I don't if he is even still there. But the "riders" that come down on a cargo ship, he let's them know about it, and gives them the opportunity to ride if they want.
    Lostmike likes this.
  16. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Hummm. When I was there in "90/"91 there was a guy that had a mountain bike. Didn't see any motobikes ??? A few sleds and some pickups and vans and a bunch of old and new Cats of all shapes and sizes. :D
    Lostmike likes this.
  17. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    You were there 13 years before me, so I have to believe that personnel change over the course of 13 years.
    2old2Bbold likes this.
  18. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best of luck on a speedy and complete recovery, or at least enough to still do all the things you want to do.
    Lostmike and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  19. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much, going to do my best to be ready for December. Id cross my fingers if I could haha.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  20. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:

Cheers, still prepping like its definitley going to happen. Will let ya know how I go. Theres a very lonely AT sulking in the driveway.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.