Antigravity Batteries...Game Changing NEW Lithium Battery

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Antigravity, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Antigravity

Antigravity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First off, thank you so much for using our product, and thanks for the kind words and posting up about your experiences. We absolutely appreciate it and love to hear stories from the ADV guys because you guys are the "hard-core" guys who really put products through their paces. If we can make you guys happy, then our product is working as intended. This is Scott and Chad had helped you, I just saw this and will let him know. And if you do have any trips planned again please feel free to reach out to us, we can get you a XP-10 or something to have as an emergency back-up for powering other stuff. I'll have Chad reach out to you today, and again thanks for posting up!
  2. Antigravity

Oddometer:
    (Scott posting) I do like the idea of a redundant system in most bikes when doing travels in the middle of nowhere. But being honest the 4-Cell versions do not have the built in protections of the NEWER RE-START models... so if they are over-discharged then they can be damaged because they do not put themselves to sleep if you leave your lights, ignition or accessory on. So that protection the RE-START battery has of going to Sleep when in a over-discharged state is really important because you can still start the bike but also not have damaged the battery. Also on unprotected Lithium Batteries you should not even try to jump start or push start the bike the bike if it gets into the 4v to 6v range because the bikes charging voltage and current (when lithium is in an severely over-discharged state) can cause the battery to overheat, swell and worst case go into thermal runaway. But with protection the battery goes to sleep safely away from those low voltages that can damage a lithium battery. So it is best to go with the higher amp hour you can get within your size restaints in your battery box. We make certain models that have the HD (heavy duty) at the end of the part number and those have a larger lithium pack inside the Case than the regular duty versions.

So to have some redundancy, with any battery be it Lead/Acid or Lithium while on a trip I would suggest just carrying a MICRO-START or other mini Jump Starter. This way you have a mini- personal power supply that can start the bike or even power 12v/19v/5vUSB devices and its in a small format too. We also make a Harness you can connect to the battery so you can jump start your bike and not have to carry the clamps, or remove the seat to do this, so it makes it more space saving and portable.

Harness kit that connects to battery directly so you just plug in MICRO-START to jump start vehicles. Eliminates needing clamps and you can route it outside under the seat for easy access to jump start. https://antigravitybatteries.com/pr.../cables-parts/starting-harness-newer-xp1-xp3/

MICRO-STARTS... we make a few different sizes and the XP1 and XP10 have 19v/12v,5vUSB charging, then XP3 and SPORT do JUmp STarting and USB charging, and are more compact but easily start bikes and Cars. https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/micro-starts/
    Chadzu likes this.
  3. BackpackerMoto

BackpackerMoto Outcast

Oddometer:
    Scott,

My pleasure. Like I said, I am rarely motivated to write reviews, but the battery really performed tremendously, to the point I'd be ashamed not to give it due credit.

I'll also point out, I installed that battery in the bike right after I purchased it a year ago, so it got about 2500 off-road testing miles in the mountains and deserts of SoCal before I set off for Asia.

Great product, thanks for your support of this community.
  4. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am really interested
    in the jumpstart battery
    for my ktm 790 adv.

I do have one query
    when I take my bike in for a service
    they always put it on a battery tender while reading out the computer for updates and the like,

would this be a problem with a lithium battery

greetings from Netherland

by the way where to purchase in Europe?
  5. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the "smarter" people will be along shortly ;-)
    but yes.... I think it could cause an issue if the charger they use is one of the "advanced" desulphating or other style chargers....
  6. Antigravity

Oddometer:
    As JW said the Desulphating Charger may create a few problems... but our battery actually has OVER-CHARGE protections, but we will still not say that this would prevent a Desulphating Charger from hurting the battery because of Over-Charge protection is for occasional spikes and variations, not for a long term charge.

What happens is the Desulfate Charging spikes voltage to the Lead/Acid Battery this higher voltage remove Sulfate from the Lead/Acid Battery plates. But this high voltage can damage a Lithium Battery. So we just say completely avoid Lead/Chargers to be conservative.

I'm sorry we do have one Distributor in the UK but nothing in the Nederlands... We are looking for a reputable Distributor for the EU for the 2020 season.
  7. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    so this could be a problem with ktm riders that have there bike hooked up(every service)

rally-motor.nl
    imports a few U.S brands
    maybe you could get together?

thanx
    Emile
  8. Antigravity

Oddometer:
    Well being honest it not always a problem... it usually if they leave it hooked up a while. A 10 minute session won't immediately ruin a lithium. I usually just leaving it attached over a few days. But some places do that. But I am hoping most mechanics would realize that lithium is present in a lot of vehicles now but I have to realize many mechanics are also pretty busy and not looking closely. But overall yes on the OLDER models we had some come back puffed up which is the sign of over-charge.

I'll look into that company you mention, thanks!.
  9. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys, I emailed you, but thought I would try here too.

Is there a trick to charging a Restart battery that has gone into its safe mode? I push the restart button, I get power, but not quite enough go to crank the bike over. I figure I can top it up with the charger, but it doesn't seem to be taking a charge at all.

Do you hook up to the charger and then push the Restart button to allow it to take a charge? It seems to totally shut itself off when in protection mode.

Thanks
  10. Antigravity

Oddometer:
    Where did you email? Was it on the weekend? Would help me to know the bike and conditions... but it should work regardless. Please email me at scott@antigravitybatteries.com and I can go over it with you. Staff isn't at the office on weekends and we are short staffed during Corona virus also.
  11. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the Restart button is like a ground fault interruption. I hooked up the charger, hit the button, and the battery started taking a charge. A couple hours later it had enough go to start the bike and all is good. When the battery went into protection mode, it would not take a charge.

Yes, I emailed on the weekend. All good for now though! Thanks
    Antigravity likes this.
  12. Antigravity

Oddometer:
    I didn't mention that once the battery is ASLEEP, you DO have to press the RE-START button for it to accept a charge again because it is in a sleep mode that will not allow energy IN or OUT. So for charging yes you do have to press the button if the battery has gone to sleep from over-discharge. This awakens the battery and allows for the RE-CHARGE. I am cocnerned about you stating you did not get the RE-STARt after pressing the button. Can you tell me the bike and model battery you have, and can you test again? It should work fine and give you a few start attempts after it has been discharge, and if not you can send it back for us to check it and replace if necessary.