Any advice for Portland to L.A. along the 1 ???

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mdrsteve, Jul 20, 2005.

1. mdrsteve

mdrsteve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's happening! I'm buying a used KLR650! Tac650's used KLR650 to be exact. On August 8th, I'm flying up to Portland to get it. I'll spend the next 5 days riding it down the 1 to bring it home to L.A!

Has anyone done this ride before? Any advice on what I shouldn't miss (or, probably just as important... what I should miss?) Do you know of any great campgrounds or little inexpensive motels along the way?

Thanks!
    Steve
  2. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    cheese and seafood in tillamook,roost/camp at florence,stop at whales cove for lunch and maybe to see some whales,ride really fast through coos bay cuz it stinks,close to crescent city take a left off 1 onto north bank road then take a right at the stop sign...you won't be disapointed,check out the elk near eureka and the cool murals in eureka,take a side trip on the avenue of the redwoods,camp along the eel river some where...beeee-u-tiful,take the first right you see to fort bragg...prepare for the best twisties evAr,enjoy the scenery once your on the coast again,don't stop anywhere near jenner beach price gouging capital of the world $3.79 pack of jerky...pffft,i have yet to see the marin headlands,report back on that for us,stop at the golden gate for a pic,wave at the red light cameras in SF,focus on the road going over devils slide,stop at bmw santa cruz and drool at the urals, check out the boardwalk too,i have not been from santa cruz to seaside,stop and see the hearst castle or just look at vances pics and look at it from 1 like i did,keep riding...is 5 days enough? have you ever spent time on 1? 550 miles in a day is like 1500 elsewhere. good luck,trip report and pics are mandatory.
  3. gas_pig70

gas_pig70 Mmm... mud!

Oddometer:
    Just got back from MotoGP a week ago and we did 101 to 1 (Legget to SF) on the way down.

We stayed at Curly Redwood Lodge in Cresent city for a night. It's not the cheapest but it's cool and close to beach. There's a big rock nearby that juts out into the bay. Great place to climb and view the sunset (pics to follow). If you get there early enough you can get a ground-level room with a carport outside of it to put your bike in. I'd recommend King Pizza (North about half mile) for dinner and some brew.

The next day we cut over to Hwy 1 the first chance we got (Leggett). What a sweet/twisty ride down the coast that was on my FZ1. Dang what an awesome place to ride a cycle. We ended up getting to Bodega Bay in the early evening and decided that was as close as we wanted to get to S.F. before riding to Laguna Seca the next day. Not many choices as far as motels go. We found the Bodega Harbor Inn that night which was a 'rustic' hole in the wall. It wasn't cheap but the local and the hospitality made up for it. You might want to check out other places in town to stay ahead of time if you plan on stopping there.

Shortly after passing through Bodega Bay don't miss the sign to take a right to continue on Hwy 1 (Shoreline Hwy). I don't think there was even a stop sign for it, but it was well marked. The ride to 101/S.F. was a sight to behold when you return to the coastal cliffs as the morning fog rises up the over the road like a tunnel and back down into the valley on the other side. Make sure you have some coffee.

Tip 1: Be prepared to pass cars and let your intentions by known on Hwy 1. Don't tailgate to close like a pr1ck and cagers will usually pull aside at the many turnoffs to let you go.

Tip 2: I've heard stock KLR brakes leave something to be desired. Get to know how to slow that thing down (gears/brakes) in a hurry before getting to Hwy 1. This is super critical since this bike will be new to you.

Tip 3: Have fun and watch out for large animals (cattle, elk, and a bear I swore I saw climbing up the a hillside south of the 'Trees of Mystery').
  4. mdrsteve

mdrsteve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips! These are just what I needed! Keep 'em coming!

I was planning on spending my first night in Coos Bay (seemed like a good amount of mileage for my first day,) but I'd rather stay somewhere that's not stinky! Can anyone recommend a good town to stay in that's along the 1 a little further north of Coos Bay?

Thanks again!
    Steve
  5. Guaglione

Guaglione Untethered

Oddometer:
    Florence Oregon is much nicer than Coos Bay.

If you can make the detour, try to ride hwy 96 in northern Cali. You can make a loop of it by taking 299 east out of Arcata, then north on 3 to Yreka, then back to 299 via 96. 96 is the Klamath River Highway, and it is hands down one of the best motorcycle roads in the country.
  6. Guaglione

Guaglione Untethered

Oddometer:
    Also, heading south from Eureka, take hwy 211 to Ferndale, which then becomes the Lost Coast Highway. It covers the gap in the coast roads from 1 to 101, and is beautiful. But be warned, it is a very technical road, so take it slow. The pavement is not the best, and there are places where a missed turn could by really bad news, but it's beautiful riding.

Once you get south of SF, out by King City, hit the G14/G19 combo:

[​IMG]

It's great riding, much better than taking 101.
  7. mdrsteve

mdrsteve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, I'm not sure a "very technical" road is a good idea for my 2nd day ever on a dual sport loaded with camping gear, etc. I guess that means I'll have to make the trip again sometime soon!

I am planning on leaving the 1 and taking Great Highway from just south of the Golden Gate Bridge to where it meets up with the 1 again.

I've decided to make it a six day trip starting on Monday, August 8th!

Day 1 - Portland to Florence
    Day 2 - to Redwood Nat'l. Park
    Day 3 - to Mendocino
    Day 4 - to Half Moon Bay
    Day 5 - to Cambria
    Day 6 - to Los Angeles

Not to say I'm excited, but I'm already counting down the minutes!!!!!
  8. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    you might make the day 3 stop in fort bragg,i hear the train ride there is worth every penny. $40 or something for the ride and a meal i think. since day 4 is only to half moon bay you should have time for a train ride.

good thinking on stopping near mendocino. i did brookings down 1 inland to peteluma then home to sac in 1 day...the klr had it,but i was beat.
  9. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stop in ft bragg: http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/

Some of the best fish & chips and clam chowder Ive ever had.
    Not to mention they make 3 or 4 very good beers on site.
    Red Seal being a favorite of mine. Its right on HWY 1.

There is also a nice stretch of beach you can hit before
    you get to ft bragg. Its called Chadbourne Gultch, great
    beach, and you can ride on it. I have the gps coordinates
    laying around, if you want them let me know. Its right off 1,
    about 10-15 miles north of ft bragg. Fun beach ride diversion.

Good luck, have fun, take a bunch of pics.
  10. mdrsteve

mdrsteve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll have to look into the train ride! I wonder if it's something I can do, and then continue on south to Mendocino for the evening?
  11. mdrsteve

mdrsteve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Fish & chips AND Clam chowder???? INorth Coast Brewing has been added to my list!!

I'm not sure I'll have a GPS for the trip, but I'll take any coordinates &/or directions you can give me!

Thanks!!!
  12. dirtypumpkin

Oddometer:
    Here is the link to the beach I told you about, with gps data.

Very cool site, you may want to use it for your trip.
    Dotcom millionare took pics of the California coast every 500 ft.
    Great database of images!!!

Chadbourne Gultch, North of ft bragg, just south of Westport.

Link
  13. mdrsteve

mdrsteve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't need to ride Hwy 1...I can just ride it virtually from my own home!! Seriously, what an amazing site! THANKS!!!!
  14. Jim Bud

Jim Bud Long timer

Oddometer:
    best campgrounds in the US......

BTW, I have ridden this route on bicycle, self contained, and you should have a great ride the whole way....there is too much to see and do to get it all done...just have fun....
  15. dirtypumpkin

Oddometer:
    It is a great site. That pic of the beach is high tide, much better ride at low.

My buddy's dad has 10 acres with a cove a bit more south.
    We have launched jetskis and kayaks at that beach and shot up the coast to the house.