Any Arizona riding coaches? Need advice

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Lowslider, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Lowslider

Lowslider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not much of a forums guy but here goes. Sorry if this has been posted before but I did not see anything in the search, and my forum etiquette probably sucks. I did read a few MSF coaches threads which makes me wanna do this, but I have specifics I want to ask here before I start e-mailing organizations.

I am seriously considering becoming a riding coach in Arizona during the winter months. I actually live in Idaho but I spent last winter riding SoCal and Arizona and as it happened it was the coldest and rainiest winter anyone ever remembered having. My bad luck I guess, but not really because I could still ride. I can't ride in Idaho really at all in the winter. Even when the roads aren't icy or slushy they are full of sand and salt and de icer and everything. Its demotivating.

Anyone know if Arizona will accept an out of state rider as a coach? The web site says:
    • Be a licensed motorcyclist in the State of Arizona
    But sometimes an organization web site will state something as if its a rule when really its just a guideline, if that. Also, is it practical to do MSF seasonally, or during the winter months? For my side, it would be a great fit for me but maybe not so much for the organization.

I would consider doing it for California, but California is very expensive to live in and the price of admission to become a coach is a lot of money ($500 initial cost plus addl courses). Lane splitting is awesome though, which makes me wanna consider it just for that.

What say you? Anyone got a bone they can throw me?
  2. verboten

verboten confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    I became an MSF Dirtbike School coach and an ATV Safety Institute coach several years ago in order to meet some agency requirements for training our volunteers, BLM and USFS employees. The DBS course was only offered in SoCal or Ohio, took 5 days of classroom/track instruction, and was over $2000. I had to take the regular Dirtbike School class in order to be qualified to take the Coach certification class. Same story for the ATV coaching, but that was offered in Tucson at least.

I do not know what the cost or procedure is for becoming an MSF Ridercourse instructor, but you can probably find out about it here:
    https://www.msf-usa.org

I will tell you that in Arizona it seems none of the coaches seem to be paid well and it very much seems like a side gig that they are not too thrilled about. The street guys stay busy with teaching the level 1 class for new motorcycle riders seeking to obtain their license endorsement. The level 2 class draws in a lot of older Harley and gullwing riders. There are sometimes teaching opportunities for the military due to LAF being out in Glendale. All the military guys have to take the MSF class before being able to ride on base. T.E.A.M. Arizona is the big training outfit in the valley. Since I was listed in the MSF database, I would occasionally get job offers to teach due to a lack of instructors. They were paying about $100 a day for the weekend classes, hence the lack of instructors I imagine :)
  3. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cost me about $1000 to become a CMSP Instructor in CA (2017). Instructor training was about a week, but you might want to spend some time on the Range in addition to that to get more of a feel for how the day/flow goes, and to decide if this is something you really want to do. I took MSF in 2007 so don't remember what that was like, but I believe CMSP has a bit more going on in comparison. It's a busy time working on the Range. I find the work to be rewarding. It's fun seeing how far a brand new rider can come in 2 days. Most of them are very appreciative. The Classroom sessions are packed with information that you present off a Powerpoint. Pay is good. I generally work 2 weekends a month. Gets me some play money for bikes and trips. If you become a CMSP Instructor you can work anywhere in CA, and I believe in any other state that offers CMSP, but I'm not sure what they are. Happy to answer any other questions.
  4. NateInAZ

NateInAZ n00b

Oddometer:
  5. Lowslider

Lowslider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Thats a big ouch with the $1000 to become a rider coach in Cali.

The issue is I don't want to be licensed in AZ. I work a summer job in Idaho and only want to teach in AZ in the winter. Thats why I'm wondering how much of a requirement it is. The $100 a day tho is kind of a bummer. I was hoping for something in the $20 an hour range. I want to do it every weekend and have my weekdays free to ride, but I need to clear enough money to actually support my food and fuel costs. Don't need housing as I'll be dispersed camping.

Would I be able to do instruction every weekend? And what about the pay? Does that vary from place to place? Also, do you know if I have to be a resident of Taxifornia to be a coach? Cause I can't afford that, and someone would vandalize my bike if I came back to North Idaho with Cali plates.
  6. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    1 - The $1000 might be partially refunded by your Site Administrator. You'll need to negotiate that with them.
    2 - My net pay/weekend for working on the Range (doing one Range/day) is about $300. I believe this is pretty average throughout CA. If you are younger and stronger (at almost 61 years of age I'm not into 11-12 hour days working on my feet) you can do 2 Ranges and with overtime make a significant paycheck. You should have no trouble making more than enough for food and fuel.
    3 - Doing instruction every weekend will depend on where you locate and how far you are willing to travel to work. I'm assuming you will choose SoCal and I would think there are multiple sites where you can work if you are centrally located.
    4 - You need to contact thse folks for some of your specific questions.....

http://cmsp.msi5.com/our_team.php
  7. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I have started to look into the instructor field as I will be retiring in a few years. Interestingly enough it is free of charge to become an MSF instructor in the state of Nevada which is what is taught here in Nevada.

I assume I can take that certification with me to any other state that uses MSF
  8. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would go to the link that Nate shared and then use the Contact page to send an email. The guys in the office should be pretty knowledgeable about what is needed.

You will be taking the Basic course as part of the RCP, RiderCoach Prep, but it is expected that you have a motorcycle endorsement before applying anyway.
  9. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sent an email to the office with a link to this thread and copied your question as well. I'm not sure if they'll post here or just respond to me via email. If that's the case then I'll post up what I'm told.
  10. Lowslider

Lowslider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm gathering as much info as I can from these forums before I start sending e-mails, but I will be making contact soon. I'd rather hear from people doing it first before I talk to someone who maybe only works in the office and is just reading a canned response. Totally post up what they send you though.

Hey thanks for the info! I love NorCal but the goal is to ride year round so yeah I'll be in SoCal if I go with California. I wish lane splitting or at least lane filtering was legal everywhere tho. So much fun to cut in line.

I hadn't considered Nevada or New Mexico but I am now. I'm game for anywhere that I can teach/ride through the winter, though I think I'd greatly prefer staying to the west of Texas. I'd do east coast though if there is opportunity there.
  11. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
  12. Lowslider

Lowslider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That thread is how I found this site. Its a top Google search result. Read the entire thing but wasn't sure if I should ressurect that thread or start a new one. I'm not a forums guy so maybe I shoulda used that one. In any case got lots of great info on this one. Going to start contacting organizations themselves soon.
  13. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    It seems to be certified as an instructor in Nevada, you have to be a resident also to maintain your certification you have to do a class every two years.

My thought is once certified, can you travel form state to state perhaps as a "fill in" position. I can understand if Nevada offers the course twice a year and it's free they would want you to stay in the state.

Nevada Link below:
    https://nevadarider.com/become-an-instructor/
  14. MWValley

MWValley Pro Motorcycle Gadget Guy (ret.)

Oddometer:
    In 2004 the State of NH told me it would cost me $1,000 to go through the RiderCoach Prep. As it turned out that was a ruse. Perhaps to see how serious I might be about completing the training. In any event I did the course and have been certified by the MSF since.

Rider training is offered by state programs and by private schools across the country. Most places use MSF curriculum, others do not. If they don't they probably would not consider you qualified. Logically they'd have their own certification program. Some states have state-provided training, some only privately provided classes. Some states, like NH, have both. In my experience, the hiring process at all training ranges takes some significant time and effort. So bopping from town to town, hoping to slip in and coach a course here and there, is highly unlikely.

From my viewpoint if you don't coach at least 5 or 6 classes every year, you'll never gain any real proficiency. Want to become truly skilled? Plan on 15 to 20 classes every year.
  15. Lowslider

Lowslider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't necessarily want to travel from place to place training. I'm good with doing teaching every weekend at one place. I just am trying to find a place that will allow me to keep my Idaho residency and do it seasonally from December through March. Might be too much to ask but won't know unless I do ask. Your assertion of me "slipping in" and teaching from time to time and place to place is wrong. Looking for one State to do it in, but only over the winter as much as I can through the winter. Your making me sound like I'm not taking this seriously. I absolutely am.

I would expect that I would do like 16 classes every winter if I could work it out. I already teach in the summer and I took all the safety courses that my state has to offer and then some, so I would hope someone would take me. But maybe the seasonal thing is a wash.
  16. Lowslider

Lowslider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bummer, but that makes sense. I'm not against paying for my training at all. Just trying to find rewarding winter work without giving up my fire position with Idaho State.
  17. Lowslider

Lowslider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It just occurred to me, can I do rider training full time anywhere? Cause I totally would. I just assumed its part time everywhere. Still would need it to be winter seasonal though.
  18. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    My name is now on the list as a prospective candidate. Both classes have already been completed here in Nevada and a third may be offered based on interest.

Thanks for sparking my interest on this subject
  19. MWValley

MWValley Pro Motorcycle Gadget Guy (ret.)

Oddometer:

No I misunderstood your question entirely. I didn't doubt for a second that you were serious. What I thought was you wanted to travel around, teaching in different locations as you went. You know, like a traveling nurse.