Any Cummins experts here?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by engineman, May 23, 2020 at 10:22 AM.

1. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 1993 winnebago built on a Spartan bus chassis. It has a 5.9 6bt with an allison transmission. The coach side is no good, lots of 2ater damage and rot and I've already replaced it with a new 30' travel trailer.

I've been seriously considering taking the 5.9 out of the Motorhome and swapping it onto my V10 F250. Been doing a lot of research on this swap and seems within my capabilities and price range.

My question is- the engine has an inline injector pump and according to winnebago was rated at 230 hp. This doesn't seem to be the same as the Dodge pickup ratings which didnt get the P pump until 94 and were only rated at <200hp.

Is this some sort of oddball 6bt or should it be roughly the same as the dodge version for my conversion project?
  2. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was curious as I did not know and used to own a Cummins powered truck. I found this which might prove helpful..

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

Or like the verbiage on that front page states, second only to your local Cummins service shop.

What's different may just be the better(?) fuel delivery or slightly larger injectors? Whether the P pump is better than mechanical is the subject of many threads in Diesel forums. :D

Good luck!
  3. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put an Issotta Frashini in it.
    engineman likes this.
  4. engineman

Oddometer:
    Never in a million fucking years. 20 years later I still have nightmares about those goddamn pieces of useless, leaking, bearing spinning, cylinder head ejecting, overheating, catching on fireing pieces of Italian shit
    Roadrash101 and greasyfatman like this.
  5. engineman

Oddometer:
    A little curious how you knew to poke me with that particular sharp stick though
  6. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry man didn’t mean to trigger your PTSD. Foxtrot is how I know.
    engineman likes this.
  7. engineman

Oddometer:
    Small world. Delta Crew plankowner here
  8. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    That engine has been put in literally millions of different applications, the P pump is definitely better than the radial pumps that came on them.

Dodge now ram is a different animal than the rest of the B series engines, brand new ones are configured just for dodge spec and very different then all the other ones.
    engineman likes this.
  9. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Engineman, the p-pump is still a mechanical pump, the P-7100 has more fuel potential than the VE pump, ( rotary ) that came in the trucks in 93, I am assuming that the Cummins factory had retooled for 94 or something when your engine was bought.

The engine itself only needs a 12v wire going to the fuel shut off solenoid, unless you want to just use a pull cable then starter wires is all you need.

The engine is the same basically from 89 to 98.5, with exception of the pump and injectors, 89 to 91.5 ish were not intercooled.

Just a few minor tweaks of the fuel plate, or replacing it with an aftermarket one will easily get the HP difference you see between the pickups and your RV rating, as you know RV's used to have bigger cams, and all sorts of things to add HP "from the factory".
    engineman likes this.
  10. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    You can get a stand alone controller for the Alison.
    engineman likes this.
  11. engineman

Oddometer:
    The truck currently has a manual in it so my plan is to source a zf6 out of a diesel F250 and adapt it to the cummins. One of my problems with the Motorhome was that the allison was a first generation electronically controlled 6 speed medium duty trans and has developed a lot of shifting gremlins
  12. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    A manual would be what I would do, if you decide to Crank up the HP a little they can handle it until you get addicted to the feel of torque and need more.
  13. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    Did the V10 get a different ZF6 than the diesel?

I’ll be following along. Sounds fum.
  14. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    You mean ...... sounds fummins.
    engineman likes this.
  15. engineman

Oddometer:
    The v10 has a smaller bell housing and you cant fit enough clutch in them to hold up to the diesel. The zf5 that came behind the 460 from 95-98 will work though so those are also on my shopping list. Near as I can tell the transfer cases were the same from 99 and up so I should be able to re use my current case
    plumber mike likes this.
  16. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    Not really familiar with FOMOCO products, but in the MOPAR stuff a lot of times it was a spline count that was different, so be sure to look at that as well.

We have had many diesel trucks at work with the ZF5 and those darn things are bullet proof.