Any dealerships still selling new, cheap Yamaha SCR950?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Harg, May 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Harg

Harg More espresso

Oddometer:
    Word on the street is some dealerships were selling SCR950s for as low as $3000 on clearance somewhat recently. Anybody aware of this type of deal still out there? I'm in WI and would consider travelling 1000 miles for this.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  2. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Harg likes this.
  3. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know of one that had that advertised near me. My brother in Kentucky saw it and asked me if I’d ride it out to him. It was at a dealer that does crazy added fees. Like I think the add3d fees on a ktm super adventure were 4000 not including tax.
    I’m not sure if that was what you saw though. I didn’t bite because I know the dealership and didn’t believe it
    davidji likes this.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man that’s crazy. I got mine for $2000 under MSRP and I thought I got a steal at $6699.

Charles.
    cwdrifter likes this.
  5. Randyincolo

Randyincolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s easy to find low prices. It’s almost impossible to get it out of the door for anywhere near those low prices.
    davidji, Xchemie, danh600 and 4 others like this.
  6. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember seeing them at 4995$ and thought what a great cheap cool commuter they would be.
  7. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I needed a bike that ran, and I don’t regret buying mine because it kept me on two wheels. But if i had the option of buying one today at the same price? I’d get a royal enfield 650 interceptor in a heartbeat. I’ve spent far too much money trying to make the scr950 into a good bike for me. I’d have been better off starting with something a lot closer.

Charles.
  8. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What don't you like about your bike?
    concours likes this.
  9. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Suspension, cornering clearance, suspension, seat, suspension, and weight.

The rear shocks are miserable. 1.7" of piston travel before it hits the stop. It drags easily, and the footpeg brackets touch down before the feelers do, which bounces the bike back upright. I've put on 1" longer shocks for a sportster and lowered the tubes in the trees by 1/2" (they stick above the trees 1/4" stock, now they're recessed 1/4" below the triple tree top). I lengthened the side stand as well. The bike now has "acceptable" lean angles now. Not good angles, just acceptable. I'm not dragging parts on every. single. corner. anymore, and the pegs touch down now before the frame. But, the bike is now a bit too tall for my 5'9" and 31" inseam. I generally have one foot flat, one on the ball at a stop. I used some generic Sportster shocks, which weren't super expensive, but they weren't cheap either. And... they're not great. They're slightly better than stock, but every bump still threatens to liquify my kidneys or launch a disc through the back of my jacket. So now I'm considering spending big bucks on some actual good rear shocks, to make the bike less painful.

The SCR950 is also blasted heavy. On paper it's lighter than my V65 Magna. In practice, all of that weight is up high. It's the most top-heavy, unwieldy motorcycle I've ever owned. And I made it worse by raising it up. but without that rise, I just couldn't ride it at any speed, it would drag parts *so* easily.

The seat is also miserable. It looks great, but under the cover is a 2x4 covered in glass and razor blades. My sphincter clenches at the mere thought of that seat. And so I have to either buy a Seat Concepts cover and foam kit, and pay an upholsterer to put it on, or buy a Corbin seat. The Corbin seat is what I would naturally gravitate to, having loved the Corbin on my V65... but the two Corbins available for the SCR950 are ridiculously ugly. Still, my ass and chode need some relief, so I might have to live with a dog-ugly seat. (Seriously, Corbin made a *cafe* seat or a king-and-queen chopper looking thing. For a scrambler. WTF?). The problem with the stock seat is it's not actually flat. It's domed in the center. Which puts pressure on ... you guessed it, chode and sphincter. My actual cheeks are largely unsupported.

The stock headlight is atrociously bad. I've tried 120 watt bulbs and 3 or 4 different LED replacement bulbs, and none of it makes a difference. The stock reflector has a terrible beam pattern.

This sucks, because the reflector is an odd size and there is no drop-in replacement avaialble that doesn't cost $400. (Denali kit from twisted throttle). Mounting auxiliary lights to the crash bar is a no-go. The engine vibrates so much at speed, any LED that's not rubber-mounted will be shaken to death in short order. I had to repair (weld) the mounting brackets for each driving light twice, and then finally one of the LED bulbs shorted and blew. And these were beefier-than-average mounting brackets and housings. I didn't even get 4000 miles out of the LEDs driving lights before they were toast.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do like the bike. It has a lot of character and charm. It's much like an old muscle car. It's unrefined, lots of torque, goes best in a straight line, and has hilariously bad suspension. It's pretty much like riding the General Lee. I am often tempted to do stupid shit on this bike... and I do. And since it's not a superbike and I'm not going fast, I generally get away with it. It will wheelie. It will slide the rear end out on gravel with surprising ease. It makes a fine noise. The only thing it doesn't have is Waylon Jennings narrating each bad decision I make.

I guess my problem is I wanted a jack-of-all-trades bike. I wanted a bike that was fun around town, and which I could pack up my gear on and go on a trip. I generally have liked touring on naked bikes in the past. But the SCR950 beats me up too much. If all I did was ride it 50 miles at a time, it wouldn't be a big deal. But I'll put 150 miles on a bike just riding it on a Saturday, 50 miles is a very short ride for me. I'm a cripple after 150 miles on this bike. Sore back, sore kidneys, sore ass, tight shoulders, and sore elbows. I've had to stop at least once in that time to take care of my painfully sore butt (and to fill the tank, it gets 120 miles before the low fuel light comes on). I took this bike on the MABDR, and was miserable. So sore, so unhappy, so top-heavy and cumbersome on fresh deep gravel, I did not have a good time.

Basically, the SCR950 needs between $300 and $600 worth of suspension and $400 worth of seat to be rideable for any distance. Plus $400 for a headlight that actually works. That pretty much negates a large part of any deal you get on the bike. The RE 650 makes similar power, weighs less, has far more suspension travel, and FAR more cornering clearance, with a seat that is completely livable. It's also priced very well, and it looks great. It doesn't have any major shortcomings that are hard to fix like the SCR950 does. It's clearly the better choice for a vintage style bike.

The other thing to consider is... if you don't like the SCR950, it's going to be hard to move it. It's not a popular bike, the deep discounts are still fresh in peoples' minds, and you may not be able to get much for it on the used market, much less for trade-in.

Charles.
    toypro1, Xchemie, alekkas and 12 others like this.
  10. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crikey Charles Cheers for such an honest review!!!!!
    KingOfFleece, joe a, Xchemie and 3 others like this.
  11. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Also if you do get one, spend the money on the skid plate. Especially if you keep it at stock ride height. I taco-ed that skid plate on the MABDR, just on a gravel road. Failing light, didn't see the pothole and the rock on the far side of the pothole didn't *look* like it stuck up much higher than the rest of ground, but the combination smacked the hell out of the plate, and would have taken my oil filter out if not for the skid plate.

Charles.
    Johann and Alexander B like this.
  12. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in Sweden there is a few unsold left. Please note they are NOT discounted, so here you pay what an MT-09 costs, but get what @ChopperCharles described very well.
    Backlund likes this.
  13. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    I second that. Well done!
    toypro1 and Johann like this.
  14. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Team Winnebagoland up here in Oshkosh has them for 4500ish last I saw. Then again, I talked to them about a possible ninja 400 and they tried to stick an extra almost 900 on the deal. I didn't pursue it long enough to try to knock any of that off. I've never purchased a bike from them so I can't tell you if it will be a good experience one way or another.
  15. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Now, if you're just looking for a cruiser with UJM ergonomics, that's really what the SCR950 is. If you ride it slow and *expect* the suspension to be terrible, you'll be a lot less disappointed. But still... you get more bike for your money with the Royal Enfield.

Charles.
    Mr. Fixit likes this.
  16. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @ChopperCharles Your review cracked me up. As soon as you mentioned the Waylon Jennings narration, that is all I could hear in my head, and I read the rest of the post in his voice
    ChopperCharles likes this.
  17. Harg

Harg More espresso

Oddometer:
    @ChopperCharles I sure appreciate the review. Kinda was hoping for a UJM and dual sport combo but think I'll pass knowing this.
  18. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Yeah. It’s really unfortunate, but with the royal enfield the price that it is, there is just no reason to get the scr. The RE is just a better bike.

Charles.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  19. Year1911

Year1911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Team Winnebagoland...I feel dirty just walking into that place.
    middleage crazy likes this.
  20. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bad experience? I’m not too impressed with any of the dealers around here, though kens seems OK