Any dealerships still selling new, cheap Yamaha SCR950?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Harg, May 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Johann

Johann Commuterus Tankslapperus

Oddometer:
    @ChopperCharles have you tried an Airhawk pad for the seat problem? Not as good as a properly upholstered or custom seat but a cheap alternative that works. The first time I tried one I thought I´d made a big mistake, felt like sitting on a beachball, but I learnt the trick is to keep reducing the amount of air until it works. The other big advantage is it takes seconds to undo and move between different bikes. I couldn´t imagine doing a longish ride without using one now. Don´t know if it will solve the dome problem but worked on the crap OEM torture device that is the seat on my ER6.
  2. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did try and air hawk, but the seat is too narrow and domed for it to have made any difference. Well, that’s not true it makes a slight difference. But it also raises me up higher and my bike is already very tall. I’ve got a spare stock seat on the way. I will experiment with the foam and cover kit from seat concepts. If that doesn’t work I’ll try a Corbin. Shocks next. Got to get something ready for a trip this summer.

Halfway thinking of just buying a new bike to tour on. More than halfway really. I have the cash, but it’d be smarter to pay down that one 23.99% credit card... (the bastards)

Charles.
    Johann likes this.
  3. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone is still interested, Power Motorsports in Sublimity, Oregon has two SCR950s in stock advertised for $5999, and they don't usually pad a bunch of fees onto their prices.
  4. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    And if anyone is interested I just listed mine in the flea market for $5500. Lots of mods and for members I’ll throw in the hard luggage and racks for free if you want them.

right now its still a Covid buying frenzy and there are few used bikes out there, at least in central NC. Most scr950s I see on CL or cycle trader are going for $6500. I’m motivated to move mine.

Charles.
    davidji likes this.
  5. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    List it somewhere else - you'll never sell it here after that review ! :lol3

GLWS anyways. :thumb
  6. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Perhaps not! But hey how often do you come across a truly honest seller? :)

I mean, if I didn't have a bad back I'd like the bike well enough. I get the giggles whenever I ride it. It encourages me to ride like a hooligan. After all my mods it suits me well. If I had any thoughts that my back could survive the suspension I'd have already put a Seat Concepts foam and cover kit on it, which would make it truly comfortable. I even bought a spare OEM seat just for that purpose. But my back is a hot mess.

I have it on craigslist and facebook marketplace too.

Charles.
    TonyKZ1 and Florida Lime like this.
  7. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:

Review of the year right there.

You should consider becoming a professional reviewer. I'm so tired of only reading glowing reviews on bike and cars.
  8. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    LOL, it is what it is. I think Charles was expecting it to be more of a real Scrambler, but what it really is, is a cruiser that looks like a Scrambler. If you go in, fully knowing what it is, a buyer could enjoy it just fine.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most scramblers aren't much more. They're pretty much the same thing they were when Honda brought out the CL72/77. A street bike with high pipes and maybe an extra couple inches of wheel travel.

Here it is - scramblers:

:hmmmmm Naked adventure bikes. :nod

Scramblers, "a jarring exhausting painful mechanically risky experience, but that's what scrambling is." :p3rry Just like the Honda 305 scrambler. Sure looks potent, until you try it. Gimme back my dual sport. :lol3

Oh, if anyone is still looking, I think Mid Ohio Powersports in Mount Vernon Ohio may have one still.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  10. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    The thing is, I do love the bike. My problem is solely my bad back. Every little road irregularity results in a hard hit due to the short travel shocks, and I'm just beat up too bad. Even bikes with good suspension hurt after a while. If not for my back, I'd have never bought the benelli, and I'd be putting tons of miles on the SCR. I actually kinda like most of the bike's shortcomings, it gives it character and makes it fun to ride. I do stupid hooligan stuff on this machine and get away with it. But what it comes down to is I can't be riding a bike that exacerbates my back injury. I need something that is kind to my spine.

Charles.
    TonyKZ1 and LuciferMutt like this.
  11. markk53

Oddometer:
    In reading most of your stuff, I personally never thought you didn't like the bike. It was pretty clear what you wanted to do was beyond the capabilities and it just wasn't physically treating you as you needed. Now it is pretty clear the better suspended higher sitting lighter Benelli is checking all the right boxes. I'm thinking it's gonna take a milder rider than you and someone who will ride it on pavement for the most part. I hope you find the right person.

I also liked the SCR when I was looking, but I saw the same kind of things you experienced. It didn't have enough suspension (lotta $), was really too heavy and low, and the exhaust would have to go (lot mo $). Probably could have lived with the power though. It had too much to do for my preferences. I ended up with a machine with similar thought processes, light twin with good clearance and definitely showing some of the RD era genetics... something about floating the front wheel a bit is just plain fun. I don't do dirt/gravel with it although I know a lot of riders do, that's why there's a KLX in the shop.
    Alexander B likes this.
  12. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did I write this? No but I coulda. Except for the part about buying a different twin.
  13. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    The SCR950 actually has more power than my new Benelli 500. Considerably more. And even with all that weight it'll outrun the Benelli 500 scrambler in a straight line. But as soon as the road has a curve in it the Benelli shows my SCR950 its taillight.

Charles.
  14. markk53

Oddometer:
    And that's why I didn't do an SCR.
  15. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My sister has the old V-Star 950 version of that engine (pre-Bolt days)... and I absolutely LOVE that bike except for the feet-forward floorboards.
    Decent power without being TOO much... able to run interstate, though a little buzzy above 75 mph... Smooth & relaxed at HWY speeds... V-Twin torque...

I would LOVE to give the SCR a test ride one day, but of course, that's almost impossible. Unfortunately, I think the lack of rear suspension would make it useless on Louisiana roads.
    Why did Yamaha give this thing LESS suspension than what they had before??? It makes no sense to me... seems like the Bolt series of bikes took a step backwards.

If it can be set up with about 4 inches travel in the back (like the old V-Star version), I think it'd make a good back road runner with just enough off-road capabilities to hit a few remote camp sites for a weekend trip.

I have no clue if 4 inches of rear travel is possible... :dunno
  16. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Nope. You can raise the bike an inch and give it an inch more travel perhaps, but 4 is out of the question.

That said, I just dropped the price for ADVRiders :)

Charles.
    Alexander B likes this.