Any experience with Qulbix?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Viking84, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Vegas800XC

Vegas800XC POS

Oddometer:
    5! I have a 690 as well and am deciding on an electric bike to play around on.
    Viking84 likes this.
  2. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Been over a month, still any chance of those pic's
  3. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, completely forgot about this! Will get some pictures taken later ;)

A few pictures from yesterdays ride. This one was a bit nuts, 3 and a half hours of slogging through deep mud (up to the rear axle in places), deep snow, rocky and unforgiving single track, and steep logging trails. I would estimate, by distance, about 70% of it was at walking pace trying not to get stuck and/or fall off, and the remaining 30% was on flowing trails at higher speeds.

It was fun and tiring in equal measure! There is no other vehicle I would rather have done this on, a regular pedelec would have been hell to get through the mud and snow, while a bigger enduro motorcycle would have been impossible to lift over some of the obstacles I had to get past.

Youtube video will come once I've had a chance to sort through the clips! Lots of swearing, heavy breathing, falling over and getting stuck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    wheresbaoskee likes this.
  4. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And here is the video from yesterdays ride :) It was absolutely exhausting, but also lots of fun. There is absolutely no way I would have got even a light weight two stroke enduro bike through that route without bringing a chainsaw with me, but this bike is powerful enough to chew through mud while being light enough to lift over fallen trees :) Fantastic machine!

5. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another forest ride today :) Man I love this thing! I have, however, discovered that I hate pedals ;) Smacked my foot into them last time, and this time I had two pedal strikes when I inadvertently had one pedal too low, and I also managed to smack the back of my leg into a pedal somehow. Reckon I will be ordering the footpeg kit from Qulbix as soon as possible, from my riding so far it doesn't seem like it will attract any more attention in any case :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    wheresbaoskee and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  6. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the GoPro angled too low for this trip, so half the footage was useless, but I thought someone may be interested in this trail footage anyway, so here is one unedited clip from the trip. It starts with a nice flowing section, and then turns into some fairly rutted single track towards the end. As I stated in the last post, I would have loved to have had pegs during this, lots of narrow sections where the pedals got in the way. Seems I am a motocross rider at heart ;)

7. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry this took so long, been busy riding and working ;) Here is a pic of the battery compartment! It seems quite roomy, could probably fit another 50% more capacity in there with some clever packaging! The whole compartment is lined with closed cell foam that holds everything very nicely in place, no movement or rattles at all.

It does look like there has been a little bit of moisture getting in there, but I have been pressure washing the bike so that is to be expected I suppose.

[​IMG]
    Baja Ho likes this.
  8. Baja Ho

Oddometer:
    You have a beautiful area to ride in. I thought their would be more of a tube style frame structure, is the frame all heavy boxed sheet metal?
  9. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, there are some fantastic areas to ride in around here :) Will be interesting to see how long it takes before these vehicles become just as socially unacceptable as motorbikes are currently, but I hope to enjoy it for as long as I can!

The frame is a complete box section yeah. There doesn't seem to be much of a weight difference compared to the competition that has tubular frames, and you do end up with a LOT of space in there :)
  10. Baja Ho

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply. I have only ridden a friends Sur-Ron, a great bike by the way, but the Qulbix looks like a step up as far as performance.
  11. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was comparing the two when I was shopping around, but there were two things that made me go for the Qulbix in the end: the silent motor, and the working pedals.

In hindsight I see the pedals are not that important to me, but the silent motor on the other hand is absolutely brilliant. The Sur-Ron makes an annoying whining noise, like an RC car or something like that, while the QS205 motor in the Qulbix is 100% silent. The only noise the bike makes is the clicking of the free-wheel if you aren't pedalling, and of course the normal noise from the tires and such. It is a fantastic feeling gliding through the forest with nothing but the sound of cracking branches and crunching dirt for company.

What the Sur-Ron has that I miss is an easily removable battery. Would have been cool to have the option of bringing a spare if I am planning a proper expedition into the local mountains, but so far I've not even been close to draining the battery on a one-day ride.
    Baja Ho and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  12. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Further info on the noise, I was not aware that the Sur-Ron and many other mid-drive e-bikes have internal gear reductions in the motor. These make much the same sound as you get from a straight cut racing gearbox, or simply the reverse gear on a regular car. Some people like it, as it sounds race-like, but I want my electric vehicles to be as silent as possible ;) The QS205 motor is huge, but that means it generates a lot of torque at low revs and doesn't need any reduction gears beyond what the chain gear-ratio gives.
    MJSfoto1956 and wheresbaoskee like this.
  13. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the footpeg kit today, solid stuff, nice size and grippy pegs! I've only had time for a short test ride but for someone like me who is used to motorbikes this is a huge improvement in handling ;) So nice to be able to lift one leg up for balance on technical sections without the pedal on the other side dropping down, and lovely with consistent foot placement and ground clearance. The bike also becomes much more silent as you don't get the free-wheel clicking like you do when you aren't pedaling :)

I'll hopefully get time for a longer trip this weekend, where I can get some video footage as well as see what the range/consumption figures look like :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Video from my first longer trip with footpegs - fantastic to ride the bike like a proper enduro bike rather than pretending it is a bicycle ;)

Baja Ho likes this.
  15. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    What sort of range do you get when you're not pedaling at all?
  16. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On terrain like that I wouldn't pedal much anyway, coordinating the pedals with the throttle input just never felt natural, especially as there is no pedal assist on this bike. Today I used an average of 61 Wh/km, so with 2160Wh on the bike I would get about 35 km's. This was pretty intense terrain though, what you can't see on the video is how deep I would sink into those marshy bits, some would be over the hubs and that stuff really sucks juice from the bike. On regular gravel tracks, no pedalling, I will normally see around 30 Wh/km :) So double the range.
  17. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Results from today's testing of potential overheating:

Bike: Q140MD
    Rider: 86kg
    Ambient temp: 26 degrees C

So I headed out today to test how hot the motor would get while doing some full throttle riding. Started at roughly 20 meters AMSL, and ended the full throttle run at 377 meters AMSL, so over 350 meters higher. 8 minutes at full throttle, over 50kph even uphill according to the GPS, almost all the time except where cars or terrain prevented me from doing so.

Had a start temp of about 40c, had been doing some full speed runs on a flat road first to see what that did to the temps. I saw just over 82c at the top before the road flattened out again and the temps dropped to 76-77 despite still keeping the throttle pinned.

I then proceeded to head off onto some trails where I couldn't do any full throttle work but where the terrain was properly steep - to the point where if I failed a hill climb I could not get going again without getting off the bike or flipping it :p Ended up at 460 meters AMSL, and saw a final max temp of 107 degrees C.

So to conclude - I can't get this bike to overheat. On fairly hilly gravel roads / asfalt it would peak at 82, and get cooler again as soon as the ground leveled out. On serious off road terrain I was limited by my fitness level before the bike overheated ;)

Pic from the highest point of the ride - started all the way at the bottom of that valley :)
    [​IMG]