Any experience with Warp 9 wheels?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AviatorTroy, Feb 2, 2020.

1. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m looking to get a second set of wheels for my 450 EXC, with a cush rear hub and more street-ish dual sport rubber. Some reports on thumpertalk of the wheels being weak, I’m looking at their Elite rims which I have read are supposed to be equivalent to Excel.

I called Woodys Wheel Works for a quote and even they use the warp 9 hubs for a cush drive build so that gives me some semblance of confidence in their products.

Looks like I can get a set of wheels directly from Warp 9 for a little less than a grand. Thoughts?
  2. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought some as a second pair for an xr4 for d/s use, non cush. The wheels were fine after Warp sorted out the correct spacers and disks, actually Warp sorted the sellers many mistakes at no cost to me. I would buy again. It would have cost them as I live in OZ.
  3. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I bought a used set here for my XR650R, 17’s, no cush. I don’t think the prior owner ever used them on his XR-R, which they had been ordered for. I had to move the rim slightly away from the sprocket to get the right clearance on the swing arm, but they’ve been fine since. No rough off road but they’ve held up well doing motard stuff. Of course I only gave 450 for them, a lot cheaper then new.
    Davethestick likes this.
  4. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    I had two different sets of sumo wheels for dual sports. Both were good enough quality for me, never a problem. I wasnt racing but they were great for agressive street use.
  5. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never had a set myself, but lots of guys I know have them. BTW inmate Layton on here sells them at a pretty good price.
  6. onni

onni n00b

Oddometer:
    Used a Warp 9 rear wheel with cush on my 450 EXC to run the CBDR and the Continental Divide route last summer then slab back home from Albuquerque to Wichita KS 600 miles no problem.
  7. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s the idea, I want a Cush wheel so that I can do some pavement to the trail. Will keep the OEM set tubliss with gummies for single track
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  8. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if W9 make BMW-style tubeless, spoked wheels? Where the spokes come from the edge of the rim instead of the center?
  9. RedWolf

RedWolf Corporate Zombie

Oddometer:
    My Alta came equipped with a set of W9 wheels, they have tolerated my abuse acceptably well so far. I would buy a set for my KTM when the need arises.
  10. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've put about 6000 miles on a set for my 990 on the MABDR, NMBDR, and the SEAT rides, worn out a MEFO SE and a Tractionator RALLZ with no issues whatsoever. Haven't even had to tighten a spoke. They are a nice looking wheel and hub, round and true. Initially they did ship the incorrect front rotor and it interfered with the ABS pick up sensor and the rear internal spacer was slightly short but they, "Kevin" at Warp 9 took care of me at no cost and he was a super guy to deal with!
  11. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    I got a complete 18" rear for my YZ250 in 2007 and it's been going strong since. No dents, no cracks, not even loose spokes. Back then people were talking shit about them, "They must be Chinese shit at that price!" but since then they have developed a good reputation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. toxiceric

toxiceric Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had four sets of warp 9's. A set on my xr400 Baja 500 bike, a set on my ktm 250sx, a set on my Klr650 ( added an oversized super moto front rotor) and a set on my DRZ400sm (also with the oversized front rotor). Not a single problem on any of them. Great wheels and a great price. They just feel solid right out of the box. I've had my share of Talon/Excel wheels as well and I personally don't feel like there is a difference in quality. I'm sure that can be debated, but bottom line is, I'm very happy with my wheels and it's why I keep buying more. Great customer service as well. They are really quick to correct any problems and they are happy to work up custom wheel sets, colors, etc.
  13. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a Warp 9 cush wheel on the back of my XR650L for about two seasons. It's held up just fine after about 6,000 miles of mixed terrain and some hard trail riding. Only complaint i have is this specific wheel/bike combo has a proprietary Warp 9 brake rotor. Makes replacement a little less convenient..
  14. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    Can you expand on the proprietary brake rotor issue? I’ve got cash in hand and an down to picking colors. Want to make sure I don’t get any annoying surprises!
  15. Awful Knawful

Awful Knawful Motorcycle Hoarder

Oddometer:
    I have a set on my DRZ400 that I did a supermoto conversion on.They have been great, zero issues.
  16. Old Smokey

Oddometer:
    Basically just that. It uses standard CRF sprockets, easy to find anywhere. No fancy bearings either. All standard bits. But the brake rotor is proprietary. You have to buy it from Warp 9. Not necessarily a big deal, but when I can get everything else at the shop down the street it kinda sucks to have to order the rotor special.
  17. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    Front and rear rotors?
  18. Old Smokey

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the front, I only bought a rear. Wanted a cush on my XR650L
  19. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just sent Kevin at Warp9 a message as I don't find Cush Hubs on their web site, and want one for my CRF450L. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?
  20. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    Kevin's response time is three or four days. I've been trying to go back and forth with him as I'm very interested in ordering a set of SM wheels for my 701. He might be overworked, might be underworked, might be sheltering in place!
    Blaise W likes this.