1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Any fly fishermen here?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by BOHUNTR, Jan 29, 2008.

1. BOHUNTR

BOHUNTR Character and Honor Count

Oddometer:
    I am going to be riding through Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico between late May and June and wanted to camp nightly in spots that have good fishing available. Can anyone help out?
  2. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:

Late may and early June will be high runoff time in the Rockies. In Colorado, we have epic amounts of snow- I'd expect extremely high water until early July at least. I guided flyfishing here in Colorado for about 10 years, and we usually see runoff from May 15th through June 20th or so, but this year will be later, I'd expect.

Seek out small streams and lakes in the lower elevations (the high passes in Colorado in a normal year won't open until the last week of June), or tailwaters that are dumping clear water, and you should be able to find some fish.
  3. Team Dennis

Team Dennis Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer:

Your'e kidding right?? Even your travel agent doesn't have enough time to do that much research.:evil
  4. BOHUNTR

BOHUNTR Character and Honor Count

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I was concerned about the snow melt; I heard that it's been a hard winter so far in the RM states, and it's still got months to go.
  5. Snaildrake

Snaildrake prowling the SW since '64

Oddometer:
    Bohuntr, I'm sure you can find places to fish, even if free-flowing rivers are too high in June. Troll the guidebooks for dam-controlled waters like the San Juan in NW New Mexico and the Chama below El Vado Res.; they don't flood and are quality waters where bait fishing isn't allowed. The San Juan offers really big fish on teeny wet flies.

http://www.troutsource.com/RiversFolder/SanJuan.htm

The San Juan is a lunker-infested piece of tailwater with an amazing fish density.... in northwestern New Mexico, it holds 10 miles of excellent water. Rainbows predominate and average 14" - 20", with bigger daddies not hard to find.

Quite a few guides run drift boats if you want to go the whole route.

Mountain lakes might be another option, like the Shuree Ponds in the Questa, NM area, though clearly some will be snowed in. And the farther south you go (like the Gila), the earlier the runoff starts and ends, though this year that might not be enough.

I'll bet there are similar places in many of the areas you'll be going through. I'd find a couple of fishing forums and ask the same question. The Yellowstone area isn't my part of the world but you've got to at least check if there will be any fishable water then. Good luck! :lurk Dan
  6. gwl

gwl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in Bend and we have a bunch of great rivers. Look at
    http://www.westfly.com/

The site has a bunch of great info. If you are here in May you may hit the salmon fly hatch on the mid Deschutes. Big fly, big fish big fun. I have found it hit or miss but a hit is great.

The upper Deschutes can be great fishing but the camping is always great. Fish between Crane P. res and Lava lake. Let me know what your plans are and I may be able to give you some ideas. Pop me a PM when time gets near. Greg
  7. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    As a fly fisherman I would look at this trip as a recon for fishing at a later date. Here's why. It will be high water in May/June. With eight states and BC the non resident Lic. fees could kill you. Just in Montana you could spend the whole time on the Ruby, Gallitin, Madison and Yellowstone.

That's pretty big water. How are you packing that 10 ft. rod, waders, net and all the long underware for that cold spring run-off?

Boy I wish I was facing the problems you are this year. I think I would take one 4-pc. 4-5wt. for Trout or Char and wait untill I was camped along some small streams in Alaska.
  8. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Please let me know what fly rod you can carry on a bike!:clap
  9. Flaco

Flaco Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer:
    PM me when you get closer to Colorado.

As Duke said, we're looking forward to a fantastic whitewater season but fishing before July may be tough in Colorado. It could be creeks or tailwater but I've always got a couple ideas. We have some epic hatches in June that may defy the high water.

Flaco
  10. Steel_Cowboy

Steel_Cowboy back in the saddle....homeward bound

Oddometer:
    Flaco, what a well rounded individual you are!! I had no idea you were master rider AND master fisherman! BOHUNTR, do you hunt with guns?? just kidding, you'll enjoy riding and fishing in CO, just listen to Duke and Flaco, you'll be A-OK!
  11. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    AWM.
    In my case my bike rod is a St. Croix 8'6" 4 wt. Model AFT 864.
    It comes in a 30" long hard case that's damn near bulletproof.

Or Orvis will sell you what ever your wallet can afford.
  12. Flaco

Flaco Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer:
    [thread hyjack] I quit my job last March and spent the summer guiding for Telluride Outside. It was fantastic. Back to work counting beans again but I may be able to continue guiding (fishing and whitewater) one day a week this summer. You going to WF? [/hyjack off]
  13. Flaco

Flaco Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer:
    Scott G Series 8'8" five piece for a #4 line works great.

f.
  14. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.
    Great now i've got another thing to tag onto the bike.
    Do they make a 7 weight?
  15. Steel_Cowboy

Steel_Cowboy back in the saddle....homeward bound

Oddometer:
    [1 more hyjack] - yep, planning on going to WF, I assume you will be there, we should def. hook up for some rides before that, eh! I got me a "new" xr400 last year. I may be coming your way in late spring, I'll let you know for sure once I have made plans. You headin' to WF? [jack off, i mean, hyjack off]
  16. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    You may hit the salmon fly hatch on the Rogue River. The holy waters below Lost Creek Resevoir and then on down the Rogue should be okay.
  17. ExDesertDog

ExDesertDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never caught a fly before - caught something in my fly tho. Ouch