Any Gen II V-strom 650 owners interested in a fork swap?

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by ag_streak, Sep 17, 2019.

1. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a beautiful, low-mileage 2013, that I bought from @RealOldDualSportGuy, who bought it from @gocatgo, who had it professionally lowered. The lowering included cutting the fork tubes and shortening the rear shock and/or spring.

[​IMG]

On my sidecar, the lowering was ideal, but now I'm riding it on two wheels, and the reduced ground clearance when riding twisties is a problem. I'm sometimes grinding hard parts during spirited riding. During relaxed riding around town, it's excellent. I think it's 1.5" lower than stock.

So, I plan to restore it to stock height. I'm about to drop $1,000 to Cogent to rebuild my forks with new fork tubes, and $550 - $650 for a new rear shock. Here's the quote from Cogent:

Fork service labor - $200.00
    Fork oil - $20.00
    Oil seals - $22.00
    Dust seals - $35.00
    Inner bushings - $20.00
    Outer bushings - $22.00
    Fork tubes - $382.00
    Cogent DDCs - $188.00
    Cogent springs - $115.00
    Total - $1,004.00

But here's the thing... I really only want the stock suspension height back! I'm not a good enough rider, and I don't hold on to my bikes long enough, to justify putting $1,600 into my 6 year old bike.

So here's what I was thinking... If anyone here wants the totally rebuilt Cogent forks and is willing to remove and ship me your stock forks, I can have Cogent ship the finished product to you. All it would take is you specifying what spring rate to use for your weight and riding style, and agreeing to a price to make it worth your while.

If you dropped in the DDCs, new springs, and oil into your own forks and did the work yourself, you'd be talking about $400. If you had a shop do it, maybe $550. But if you're interested in getting the finished forks shipped to your door, you'd also be getting all new bushings and seals, and the job done professionally by the good folks at Cogent.

How much more than $400-550 is that worth? That's up to you. For example, I would pay Cogent the $1,004, you'd ship me your stock forks and a check for $XXX, Cogent would ship you the finished forks. You install the top-of-the-line Cogent forks on your bike, and I install your stock forks on my bike, then buy a used rear shock somewhere.

I may be crazy, but if anyone is interested in discussing this more, please send me a PM.
    Thanks! :beer
  2. gocatgo

gocatgo Eres mucho gato

Oddometer:
    Um, just buy a stock VStrom?

Although, I do know firsthand that that one was built up pretty damn nice.

That bike is perfect for a short inseam rider, it would be a shame to change it. It was done very well.
    lithodave likes this.
  3. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    Want to buy it back? :clap

You did a first-class job! The handling is 100% neutral and like-stock. You wouldn't know it was modified except for the lower height. But the lack of ground clearance in turns gets in the way of the fun.

Otherwise it's perfect, and I find it beautiful. And RealOldDualSportGuy added a bunch of great accessories. I sold a 2017 Gen III to get it. But sure, if anyone wants a pristine V-strom for a short inseam rider, everything has a price! :freaky
  4. gocatgo

gocatgo Eres mucho gato

Oddometer:
    If I were in the market for a bike I’d be all over buying it back.

Good luck with your dilemma. Hopefully a short person in need of an exceptionally beautiful and well-appointed VStrom will take it off your hands.
    ag_streak likes this.
  5. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    The forks went out to Cogent today. When they get them Monday and begin the work, they will be sprung for me @ 175 pounds.