Any good books (or web posts) for planning scenic tours?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by PhilLynot, Jun 29, 2006.

1. PhilLynot

PhilLynot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

This is my first official post, although I am a long time lurker. I am wondering how most of you plan your extended, scenic tours. I have 2 books that I've found to be very useful, The Most Scenic Drives in America (with 120 routes by Reader's Digest), and National GeographicsNational Geographic Guide to Scenic Highways and Byways , (with 200 rides listed.) I prefer the reader's digest because the rides are longer and easier to string together for extended periods.

I am planning a couple of trips from Ohio out west (Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Washington, California, Nevada, etc.). I also know there are some great posts on this forum regarding this (such as the best roads in Colorado post.) I'm just looking for a comprehensive "bible" of sorts that has a listing of the best scenic roads in all of these places.

Also, I'm looking mostly for paved stuff, as my dirt skills aren't that great.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
  2. torags

torags Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pashnet.com has great western roads. They're changing servers this week, but bookmark the site if you're heading west.
  3. PhilLynot

PhilLynot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I forgot about the pashnit site.
  4. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    pashnit has gone pay :puke1

(can't blame the guy for needing some cash flow to break even on his internet bill, but many of us have contributed bits n pieces to his content, I think he's even got a picture or two of mine on there)
  5. Adrian 8

Adrian 8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out www.motorcycle roads.com. this site has all the states and some great roads listed by scenic, twisty, gravel etc. Some of the roads are critiqued by American Sport Bike Assn.
  6. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    wow, 12 routes listed in California. I'm, um, underwhelmed.:lol3
  7. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer: