Any good tracks running East to West from central VA over into WV?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Liberator, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course there are a bunch of good backroads tracks following the mountains but we're looking to get to some good stuff in WV from central VA (Culpeper area). Looking to avoid the slab and have some fun getting there. Any ideas?
  2. wumhenry

wumhenry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rte 675 west from Luray, then 691, then 59?
    Liberator likes this.
  3. Yermo

Yermo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like 211 over the mountain into Luray. As Wumhenry suggests above, 675 is an awesome little twisty mountain road with some incredible views. I also really like route 33 which is a bit South. Once you get a decent ways west of 81 it's hard to go wrong. It's late right now, but if you're interested I can go back through some of my rides and pull out some more recommendations. Map here.

[​IMG]
    wumhenry likes this.
  4. wumhenry

wumhenry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A Harrisonburg resident who is a biker and a minister told a group of us who were having lunch at a BBQ restaurant east of that town after crossing the Blue Ridge on Rte 33 that the most interesting part of that road is to the west of Harrisonburg. Judging from the lie of it shown on a map, one of the best parts may be west of Franklin, before the road turns north toward Seneca Rocks.
  5. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a similar back roads off road route from the Lynchburg area out towards West Virginia, ideally all the way to snowshoe

Any gpx tracks or route suggestion to share?
  6. Yermo

Yermo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, it's been a while since I've been down there (and I was less organized about recording my rides than I am now.) I don't have any gravel or dirt roads marked yet in that area, but while it may be a little out of your way, one road that stands out that's not too far is a paved but awesome lane and a half wide twisty little road that carves it's way along a canyon North West of you called Smoke Hole Road which is quite a bit of fun.The Mid-Atlantic Back Country Discovery Route includes it in one of their paved sections. Map Here.

[​IMG]

You can see it on the MABDR track here.

I wish they indicated where the paved vs unpaved sections were on that route. They have their section color coded but I don't know what the colors represent. Direct link to their page here.
    Liberator likes this.
  7. Yermo

Yermo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've marked what I think is the funnest part. It's a nice twisty climb up over the mountain, marked in yellow which means "best section". Map Here.
    I've been know to ride all the way from North of Washington DC to go ride this road.

[​IMG]
    Liberator likes this.
  8. Liberator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Yermo for all that! Absolutely love that run on 211 over the mountains. I do it from Culpeper some days just for fun and get lunch in Luray and head back. Done part of 33 but more East. Really have to get out and explore more out West. All this info will certainly help me find a fun route to get to MABDR whenever we find time to do it.
  9. Yermo

Yermo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My buddy Duncan and I headed out yesterday and rode over to 211. To get out of Dodge quickly we looped over the Beltway and took I66 out to US 15 where we picked up 55. We followed 55 until it met with SR 647 which turned out to be this just wonderful beautiful farm country road which went for quite a long way until it meets up with 522. From there we hit 211 and went over the mountain at a good clip and rolled into downtown Luray. We took a right on Lee St which runs you into 675 which we followed up over the next mountain range. There's this awesome overlook at the top. We continued on 675 down the other side of the mountain, which is a twisty tight little mountain road. There was a fair bit of gravel along the centerline but otherwise pleasant. We continued on past I81 West into the next mountain range. 675 was closed at one point but the detour was quick. At that point, it was new roads for me and did not disappoint all the way to Wardensville at which point we ran out of time.

I completely missed the turn off to CR59 so I don't know if it's paved or not. We'll have to head out that way again. It was a fun ride.

Map with photos here.

[​IMG]
    wumhenry and Liberator like this.
  10. Liberator

Oddometer:
    High crash area sign? Sweet! Definitely taking the Duc on that one :)
    Yermo likes this.
  11. Yermo

Yermo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you click through to the map on my site, you can see exactly where that sign is located. Click on any of the photos and the map will zoom to that location.
    Do you run with a GPS?
  12. Liberator

Oddometer:
    Oh wait, now that I looked on the map I know right where that sign is and it's certainly right on the money. Love going up that that way on a weekday with no traffic and using both lanes (well, on my side of the road of course). And yep, run my Garmin Montana.

Glad you mentioned that 647 stretch. Been wanting to add some more long way home roads to my commute during nice weather and that looks like a really good one I've had my eye on. Nice days I'll generally get off 66 and then onto 55 to dive off into the countryside NW of Warrenton.