Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. MCVL

MCVL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a faulty RR or Alternator, most of the bikes don't even start if a battery is completely dead, it takes too much power on itself so there is not enough for a spark to appear
    Put any still alive battery, get a digital multimeter, select 20V D.C. mode and connect it to the battery's + and -, you should see something like 12.2-12.5V on a healthy battery.
    Then start a bike and do the same, you should see 13.5-14.3V on a healthy RR and Alternator, if not, then you should check your RR first and then the more expensive part Alternator, you should find a guide on how to do this in a Manual

P.S. Also, if you're traveling alone on a Battery-only bike it's a good idea to have a Power Bank with Jump Starter wires, this handy little tool even starts 4.0L cars with dead batteries :-)
  2. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Obviously Bounder beat me to the CDI issue. However I had a one off incident over a year ago. I was in the process of passing a car on the bike when the motor died. I managed to pull over safely and it was clear that everything was dead. No lights or neutral light, nothing. I fiddled with the kill switch and the ignition switch and eventually everything worked again and I was off. At that point I was also thinking CDI unit albeit the mileage on the bike is very low. Thinking back to earlier in that day when I was starting the bike I remembered that the neutral light hadn't come on immediately. I hadn't taken too much notice at the time. That now prompted me to look closer at the ignition switch. It was indeed a little on the stiff side so I gave it a good injection of silicone spray until it loosened up. The issue hasn't returned since although I do keep the CDI unit permanently in mind.

I contacted the Czech company (courtesy of Bounder) who do these units at a reasonable price with a view to purchasing a backup unit. They require photos of the existing unit which lives under the bodywork. That is a chore to be done shortly.
  3. MCVL

MCVL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the starter should at least spin whether the CDI is working or not, but yeah, it could be just broken wires, better check the voltage anyway though
  4. Abraxas

Abraxas The last one

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking also in other posible causes. Some time ago I had problems with starter relay, and I solved them by installing a cheap one. I quote my posts. Might it has something to do with this current problem? Maybe I tried to save too much, and introduce new problems. I can't see a direct relation, but again, I'm not an expert.

5. MCVL

MCVL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost done preparing my Dominator and friend's SLR 650
    Still not sure if suspension will work correctly on the roads out here, the Dominator's front wheel seem to be pretty far away, really chopper-like
    And the SLR has a short-travel fork, although with progressive springs and all

DSC_1067.JPG

DSC_1069.JPG

DSC_1092.JPG

DSC_1097.JPG
  6. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the Dominator shock is soft, that will lower the rear and make it handle like a chopper.
  7. Abraxas

Abraxas The last one

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Thank you for all the advice. I alreday placed the new battery and the bike started with no issues. I meassured the voltaje and it kept around 12 V no matter if the engine is on, off or at high rev. So I guess it's the alternator. I assume I reached my limits in terms of skills-patience-tools combo, so the bike is at the shop now , waiting for the mechanic diagnosis.
  8. MCVL

MCVL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's usually the alternator, if you did it yourself you could also rewind it using same wire thickness, it would take only around a day to do so :-)
  9. kylkim

kylkim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The start of the riding season is drawing near in the north, and I've still much to do.
    Currently I'm trying to get the Polisport Integral Evolution handguards somebody recommended mounted onto the NX. The hand guard doesn't clear the brake line, so I'm considering two options. Option 1: cut a hole into the hand guard and thread the line through or Option 2: get a screw-on banjo fitting like this to clear the hand guard mount.
    Option 1 is a bit hacky, but Option 2 is expesive and I haven't seen anyone use those kinds of thread on banjo fittings - are they finnicky to get to seal?
  10. cobrin

cobrin Live to Ride - Ride to Live

Oddometer:
    JIC are perfectly fine and seal well, but you still need your hose end to have a female JIC adaptor for the banjo end to screw into. I'd rather look at another brake line that'll fit. It's probably up on age to warrant renewing (after all it is a safety item) and Asian stats do suggest that brake lines are the No.1 cause for crashes.
    kylkim likes this.
  11. MCVL

MCVL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made a few adjustments, thrown away the needless plastics, I think it's pretty much ready

DSC_1110.JPG

DSC_1111.JPG
  12. cobrin

cobrin Live to Ride - Ride to Live

Oddometer:
    That looks way better than that Harley Davidson they released with square headlight.
    valkov1989 and mitsosvl like this.
  13. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Might be no harm to make a side cover up to protect the battery area, a stone could easily damage the battery and if something can go wrong it usually will!
    Light alloy would be a good material and easy to work with.
    You already have the mounts to work to anyway.
  14. MCVL

MCVL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, my! And I thought I made the ugliest, HD surely know what they're doing
  15. MCVL

MCVL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No wories, my leg will be protecting the battery :-)
    I did think about it though, but not sure about the extra weight
  16. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    What is the exhaust heat shield made from?
  17. MCVL

MCVL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a duralumin plate, supposedly it should protect the bags I'm going to carry on top of these

DSC_1116.JPG
    kylkim likes this.
  18. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    How much does that weigh? I would think you could make a thinner one and it wouldn't be more than 300g even with fasteners.
    That battery lead swinging in the breeze would worry me, but maybe you have a greater risk tolerance:1drink
  19. MCVL

MCVL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That piece of plate is pretty expensive, it cost me about $20 USD for both sides :D
    But you're right, I'll think of putting something there, maybe my old pants will do
  20. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm using this one. No problem with brake line, or throttle cables. However, a slight twist need to apply to fit. The red circles mark the inner points.

Attached Files: