Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. PPleven

PPleven Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. PPleven

PPleven Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the Dominator use the same front sprocket as an XR650L?
  4. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Some not all, it depends on the year, I have a 7t countershaft, others have a 24t I think.
  5. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  6. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking for an NX650 Frame, preferably 1988-89 in the United States.
    Rebuilding a project, need another frame to do some mods, rear juice brakes and a few other things.
    Send a PM if you have one, Thanks.
  8. Redrider67

Redrider67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a picture of my 91 NX650 from a 950km day trip up through central New South Wales earlier in the year. It is taken just near the Mungo National Park IMG_0656.JPG
  9. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are the guy producing wider front sprockets for the XR650L :clap? All NX650 got the same drive shaft as the XR650l except for the very first year of build. The 1988 NX650 (only the versions with kick-starter) got the old XL/XR600 shaft with fewer and broader teeth https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx650-d...7/countershaft-comp_23220mn9640/#.XN1NL6Tgqcw.

Wear of the drive shaft is not an issue with the NX650 though, thanks to the cush drive. On the pic below is a shaft after 90.000km .

[​IMG]
    kylkim likes this.
  10. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Yeah, dats me!
    I appreciate the info, thank you for taking the time to post.
    From it I've learned we have a sprocket for the 88 NX as well as the newer bikes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332335729195
    Lajbi and XT Traveler like this.
  11. Abraxas

Abraxas The last one

Oddometer:
    Let's put some color
    IMG_20190421_102106.jpg
    thebigman likes this.
  12. Eward

Eward Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dommie is a bit jumpy on idle, Currently running the bike without an air filter. Not to smart i know. What could be the cause for this and how could i fix this? it hops a bit between 1100 and 1700 rpm. I did install a bigger pilot jet and its far smoother
  13. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    CV carbs need some kind of airbox to run properly, no airbox means the airflow will be unstable and the carb diaphragm won't get a stable pressure.
  14. Eward

Eward Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright so i tried to run it just a second ago with the air filter in, but for some reason as soon as the air box runs out of "air" in the box it just dies out. I guess i'll really have to take the carb apart again sometime, But i just dont understand.
    When i bought the bike it ran with the air filter in, besides giving the carb a good thorough clean out and checking if the diafragmh is still in good shape, is there anything i can do?
  15. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you done any exhaust work.
    CV Carbs are pretty particular concerning air in and exhaust out.
    If you are sure there are no problems with you rebuild job, turn the air idle screw all the way in then back it out one half turn. See if the bike will run. If not try it at a full turn out and so on until it runs.
    If that does not work. you may have to pull the carb again. Check your work. Pay attention to the vacuum slide. It must run up and down with almost no resistance.
  16. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    It sounds to me like your choke circuit is the problem, running with no airfilter should mean a leaner mixture, the fact that its running correctly without an airfilter and dies with a filter means the mixture is too rich.
    Your problem sounds like a carb problem for sure, can you take some pics of the carb, close up and clear so we can see how its looking?
    Each side showing hoses on the carb and the rear of the carb with the butterfly valve partially open.
  17. Eward

Eward Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright that some great advice i can work with. Ill be taking it apart sometime next week, got a busy weekend heading up. I'll make plenty pics when i do so.
  18. kostikos

kostikos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But it is. After experiencing transmission noise on wide open throttle on my '99 model with 50.000 km, I saw that the drive shaft had shrunk about 2mm in diameter. Problem is temporarily sorted by using a stock (14 teeth) XR650L sprocket that has deeper profile. I had to change the way it attaches to the shaft, because it sits higher. After that , it gets pretty expensive to fix.
  19. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You probably had the wrong (meaning thinner) sprocket (pics would be helpful) . The NX650 sprocket is 10,2mm wide https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rtcAAOSw1ZBUyWXm/s-l500.jpg- and it's the same as the XR650L sprocket.
  20. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a negative. The XRL sprocket is not the same as the one on the NX and even thinner.