Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I don't see this occuring on the coarse tooth version NX 650 just the fine toothed versions so far.
  3. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. kostikos

kostikos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, I did not. Since I changed it and I have it off the bike, I took the measurement to confirm. It is an aftermarket JT JTF308-15 sprocket and calipers say it is exactly 10.2 mm. Here in Greece it is a well known problem and also affects the XLV and XRV lines of the same time. Quite a few of these bikes (they are still very popular here) have the sprocket welded to the counter shaft. I replaced it with this one, which is wider.
    http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF1307/

Only possible cause of the issue I can think of is that aftermarket sprockets are made of harder steel?
  5. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    They may be harder but shaft wear like shown above is caused by a thin sprocket that along with the normal play in the sprocket to shaft fit wobbles and yaws about the shaft. More movement causes more wear. A thin sprockets smaller contact area increases the pressure at the sprocket/shaft contact point and accelerates wear too. A sprocket that has the widest hub that the shaft will accept greatly reduces the contact point pressure and reduces wear. Placing the sprocket in the middle of the hub eliminates the additional yaw movement that is caused by the sprocket being offset to one side on the hub.
    Welding works too, for a while!
  6. kostikos

kostikos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In mine it is like 2 or 3 mm in overall diameter wear, not nearly as bad as the photos! The symptom was some clatter when going full throttle, So anyone who has clatter should check their axle splines. I was fortunate enough to have a bike mechanic friend notice that. As I said, the wider sprocket I fitted stopped the noise and gave it some life. I had to use a snap ring to secure it to the axle.
  7. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess we are using the same JT sprockets, they are the most common on the market. So I don't think its due to the sprockets. In 20 years in our German dominator forum I've never seen anything like that shaft https://photos.smugmug.com/Pictures/i-qHrftNF/0/9552b76b/X3/DSC_0821-X3.jpg (I suspect that is a XR650L shaft). That wear is pretty common with the XR600, XR650L or XRV650 because they either lack the cush drive or got much more horsepower.

So no idea why some NX650 got that shaft trouble :hmmmmm

It was said that the fine shaft was introduced to reduce wear - one of my engines got a fine shaft and it seems that there is more wear, compared with the coarse shaft with more kilometers.

[​IMG]
    Lajbi and Griff2 like this.
  8. sashaL

sashaL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a set of michelin anakee 3 tires that are 5 years old and have about 7k miles on them. The front has held up pretty well, but the back tire has squared off badly. All in all I'm pretty happy with how these tires performed, but have never tried anything else. I'm almost always on road, and wondering if anyone has an equally adept road tire they want to recommend. If not, I'll go ahead and order another set. Cheers!
  9. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I talked to a friend who worked as a Honda mechanic for 30 years. He told me that around 2007 there was some trouble with the FMX650 drive shaft, which often were worn out after a few 10.000km. It turned out that this was caused by chain misalignment - maybe that’s also the reason for the very few worn out NX650 shafts. I guess I will buy myself a chain laser https://www.profi-products.de/en/profi-cat-laser/ :D
    kostikos and Lajbi like this.
  10. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I am currently using Metzeler Saharas on my NX and they are excellent tyres with good grip on the road wet or dry. Another excellent tyre is the Pirelli MT90. I have used them on my former Africa Twin and KTM Adventure.
  11. MCVL

MCVL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run Shinko E700 for the past 6000kms this year, they are terrible in deep sands and wet mud.
    Due to good ergonomics on the Dommie it handles most of the stuff pretty well, but I want TKC80 or at least Karoo on the rear next time

jGe3w2DBFWg.jpg

P.S. Ops, it was about road tires :-)
  12. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the Conti Trail Attack 2 and 3 for road use, they are a largely street based tyre, I'd say 95/5 street. Prices are good on them compared to Michelin.
  13. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    :-)
  14. kostikos

kostikos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh shit... Mine looks exactly like the one on the right (minus the rust). Thanks for the info. For sure the XR sprocket I put on is misaligned, but in the other direction (outwards). Maybe the best course is to use the XR650 sprocket and grind it down on the inside.
  15. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    perhaps the sprockets should actually be softer than the shaft. and yes, alignment is certainly a factor aswell.

also check the retaining ring for wear, poor alignment will show up on the retainer first. I align them slightly off so that if the ring wears through (seen this happen) it will pull towards the engine instead of off the shaft.
  16. sashaL

sashaL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bounder to the rescue, per usual. Those Conti Trail Attack 3s look perfect.
  17. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Lightly loaded up for the weekend ahead. If all goes to plan we will cover 1000 kms+. Sadly tho one of the days has rain scheduled. Hopefully there will not be too much cleaning needed when it comes home. :-)

IMG_4680.JPG
  18. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Awesome! That’s a decent spin. Good for the old girl to get a nice run out anyway. Pity about the weather but it’s just one of the things we can’t control. Have a good one!
    Griff2 likes this.
  19. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Back from the weekend. 1214 Kms in total and lots of scenery with twisty backroads. Dommie heaven. It all went well and apart from a couple of stalls at tickover at junctions it never missed a beat. It got a bit grubby today in the rain but its not too bad and will be easy to clean.

One thing I notice on a long trip like this especially in the rain is that there seems to be some wear at the plastic clips joints in the body work, obviously caused by the bit of vibration that the bike has. It manifests as a sort of paste shown up by the rain. Any suggestions to minimise this ?
  20. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately with a thumper , vibes are inevitable but if you fit some thin self adhesive felt strip along the joints much of the wear can be alleviated. Even flat dots can work. Lidl sell thick ones for furniture that can be cut down. Or you could look for tape, Japanese cars use it to stop squeaks
    Griff2 likes this.