Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMHO that's the best colour scheme / configuration for the model - awesome condition too. You're a lucky man.
    :thumb
    Griff2 likes this.
  2. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, what sprocket can/should I get for an 88 US NX650?
  3. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    See post 5469 above
  4. gabi_

gabi_ n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey MCVL and all of you guys!

I am really excited to be a new red Honda Dominator NX 650 owner.
    Recently I had my first big trip from France to Germany. Unfortunatelly the last day of my trip I couldn't turn my moto on which I later realized it was a problem of an exhausted battery.

I put my battery on charge and made some life tests which were luckily (or not?) succeeded.

So I suppose I need to check the whole charging system of the moto, the stator (coil, generator) and regulator/rectifier.

My starter as I can hear still turns.

Do you have any idea of how to check the voltage outputs for the parts individually or the system as a whole? Or an link to the service/repair manual?

Dankee :-) ,
    gabi
  5. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think so, unless you are driving a BMW :D. Seriously, the charging system of the Domi is bulletproofed (its a Honda, after all). You could measure the voltage with the engine idle running, if it's more than 13V everything is fine.

My bet is the somewhat underdimensioned battery. If the battery becomes weaker it still can rev the starter, but then there is not enough power left to create a spark a the plug and the Domi won't start. Happens quite often.
    gabi_ likes this.
  6. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Just prior to the recent 1200k trip that I did on my Dominator I checked the battery voltage in the course of the usual checks that I would perform prior to a long trip on an old bike. I noticed that the voltage was a bit low at 12.4Volts after only four weeks lying up. I tried charging it up and left it overnight but the Battery Tender light code was suggesting that it would shortly require replacement and the overnight voltage was still no higher than 12.4. The battery concerned was a Bosch unit equivalent of the Yuasa sealed battery recommended for the bike. It was in the bike for at least 6 years and had survived some cold winters without complaining. As such I could not complain either and I would have purchased another Bosch if there was a local agent available.
    To shorten the story I had a spare Yuasa YTZ14S from one of my most modern bikes. It was in excellent condition but just lying there. It was slightly bigger than the standard battery but I discovered it would still fit (snugly) in the battery compartment. Obviously it has greater storage than the original with 11.8 AH as opposed to 8.4AH. However it works a treat on the bike and I am delighted, as it was otherwise joining the long term unemployed. Why I had it in the first place is another long story best left untold :)
    Bounder likes this.
  7. gabi_

gabi_ n00b

Oddometer:

scrambler66 Thanks a lot for your answer!
    The problem seems to be now that the battery was not properly placed causing a shortcuircuit which can have damaged something else on the electrical system... Anyway, the battery seems to be weak as well, so I believe it's a mix of different things. Let's see how it goes.
    gardelis likes this.
  8. gabi_

gabi_ n00b

Oddometer:
    scrambler66 , the problem seems to be solved. The battery seemed to be ok finally (just not well placed) although in the end of its life... The electrical system is fine too. We checked all the fuses with a current meter. Then we checked the spark plug, which seemed to be a bit damaged (the spark-current was intermittent), so this was one of the issues. The primary coil was also checked getting a value of 1Ωhm in range 0.6-0.4 (not the best result but still ok). And then, the last step was to check the CDI, which seemed not to work properly either. Then we replaced the spark plug and the CDI with the ones another´s domi. After that my Domi could start perfectly. So all in all, CDI issue along with an old spark and an almost dead battery.
    Components already ordered and Domi looking forward to becoming younger and riding! :)

ps: I´ve heard that CDI is one of the most common issues in Dominators and that they must be replaced quite often. What´s your experience related to it?
    gardelis likes this.
  9. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I had occasionally experienced starting problems a few years ago and this ended up with my bike not starting at work, I left it there and ordered an IGNITECH Cdi which instantly started the bike compared to before. I also asked for a 500rpm increase in max revs which may never be needed but I wanted the option given it was a dc-cdi and not the programmable one
    I highly recommend getting a new CDI even to have as a spare as the oldest of these are now 30+ and the Cdi units will break at some point.
  10. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The CDI is pretty much the only electrical item of the Dommie that could possibly fail https://nx650dominator.de/NX650-CDI/
    The mean thing about defective CDIs is that often they come with a "sometimes it works and sometime it won't" mode. Meaning, sometimes you get a spark and sometimes not, which can drive you crazy when trying to locate the problem. So whenever running into starting problems I first check the battery and then replace the CDI - in 99% cases that fixes the problem.
    valkov1989 and gardelis like this.
  11. livingcolour

livingcolour n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy all,
    Does anyone have a pair of side racks they want to part with? I have a 95 Domi.
  12. dnardy

dnardy Less work more bike.

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been asked before,
    Can somebody give me a link or guide as to the easiest way to extend front brake line on a '96 to install Rox risers?
  13. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy a new steel braided line made to your specs.
    Bounder likes this.
  14. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I opted for a one piece line, I dispensed with the metal joiner and two line stock setup.
    Don’t forget to add the extra length required for the risers.
  15. parriman

parriman Spanish Rider

Oddometer:
    This is a fantastic postt, but veeeeeeeeery long to read it .
  16. parriman

parriman Spanish Rider

Oddometer:
  17. parriman

parriman Spanish Rider

Oddometer:
    The picture.... FB_IMG_1564071884395.jpg
  18. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings Folks, just got an NX650 this afternoon and looking forward to riding it, learning about it, and seeing your adventures. It runs good, has 15,000 miles or so, and seems really strong. Rather than starting out by asking dumb questions that all of you have heard before, I'll go back and read my way through this forum. 20190731_193358 (Medium).jpg 20190731_193417 (Medium).jpg
  19. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Nice 89 NX, looks clean and original.
  20. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Yep. Nice example and low mileage.