Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Postman Pat

Postman Pat I _said_ I'd be there...

Oddometer:
    Now you know why they're known as Thumpers...
    enduro16 likes this.
  2. haycait

haycait Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    big long dirt ride yesterday on the Dommie. I think I've finally reached the point where the bike's suspension ( rather than my riding ability ) is holding me back.

I've got XR650L forks, so the front is good. a few light engine mods and a re-sprocketing so power is good. tires are very good.

BUT, a Suzi shock that I replaced the stock with. better certainly and not terrible at moderate speed on big bumps but rough surface/washboard causes lots of skittering.

time for a spring/shock. can't spend a fortune. and even a YSS at $350USD is near $600CDN to my door.

now the big question, does anyone have something they would part with? in decent shape with life left in it?
  3. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I can recommend the YSS. I have used one on my CRF250L for about 10,000kms and it has coped well. During that time it hasn't had an easy time as the bike is used mostly offroad.
  4. haycait

haycait Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks. getting ready to pull the trigger on a YSS. anyone out there have one on an NX?
  5. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    valkov1989 and Bounder like this.
  6. Ferg4423

Ferg4423 n00b

Oddometer:
    G'day, trying to get a 1997 domi going for my first road bike but I have found a disconnected electric plug just under the seat, behind the fuel tank and just cannot find anywhere for it to plug into. The wires going into it are green and black, and it looks like they are in the bundle going to the ignition so I am assuming it is the earth for the ignition. I was wondering if anyone could please take a photo under the seat of their domi so I could hopefully see how it is supposed to go
  7. Citronodlaren

Citronodlaren Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Morning!
    There are many engine modifications described here on the forum but if I want to make the engine run even better without risking upsetting things,what is the most useful? I discovered that the top of the airbox on my bike is just a hole. Looks on the drawing as there should be a kind of "snorkel" there. Is that correct and if so, is that to improve the airflow to the engine? It do run a bit lean. You would think that Honda do many things right, so removing parts from the bike cannot always be right? Or?
  8. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Here is the wiring diagram, http://www.chromogram.com/Honda_dominator_wiring.gif
    Have a look at that and see if it makes sense, what colour is the plug?
  9. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Many owners de-snorkel the bike it helps with airflow.
    You can always install some richer jets if its lean.
  10. Ferg4423

Ferg4423 n00b

Oddometer:
  11. parriman

parriman Spanish Rider

Oddometer:
    Is this?

It is empty. No connect. IMG_20190924_121757.jpg
    jethrocephus likes this.
  12. Ferg4423

Ferg4423 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah mate that's the one, cheers.
  13. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    That could be the feed for the carb heater, I don't think the US models had that feature.
  14. parriman

parriman Spanish Rider

Oddometer:
    I am ending my Bike.....

IMG_20190926_150314.jpg IMG_20190926_150254.jpg IMG_20190926_150451.jpg
    Jeremy K likes this.
  15. Adventurer_inside

Adventurer_inside East West Riders

Oddometer:
    Hey folks! Please welcome to the Domi club my 12.1995 NX650 from Kazakhstan :)

Therefore I do a question about optimised gear ratio:
    - Right now, I have 48 teeth rear sprocket (no idea what is in the front, yet), the combination gives me great acceleration, but >5000rpm when I do >100 speed. So which gear ratio is the most convenient for all-purpose riding, both motorway and offroad parts with up and down?

Thanks

Attached Files:

16. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    The very first NX650 had 15-45 gearing but if offroading I would think maybe 15 47 would be better for crawling, the ratio is 1 tooth at the front is equal to three at the back.
    I doubt if you will be able to gear the NX to serve well offroad and onroad at 100kph +.
    Domi engines really don't like sustained high speed running, it doesn't do them any good and can result in damage if the oil pump isn't 100% good.
    Plus they get very hot which places additional stress on the valve seats and head.
  17. SouLja13

SouLja13 n00b

Oddometer:
    I need 2 VERY loud fire spitting mufflers for my domi. Any ideas? JPEG_20190927_115629.jpg
  18. Adventurer_inside

Adventurer_inside East West Riders

Oddometer:
    thanks for a quick response.
    Well, I would like to be able to do a steady long drive trips at some point, where I might do some offroad experience. What is the most suitable and less harmful RPM for NX650 on the motorway? Im aiming to do at least 110kmh +\-.
  19. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Need some help with parts, I have a friend who was rear ended on his NX, he is lucky to be alive. The crash destroyed the swingarm and rear wheel which could be completely rebuilt. The Rear fender, tail light, cargo rack all damaged beyond use.

Anyone have any 88 89 NX parts or even a complete parts bike for sale? PM me please, Thanks,
  20. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't seen a lot of our bikes being used lately, so here are some pictures I took today, these are on the fire tower road just NE of Mendota VA. Had a fine time.

Attached Files:

Chris Kane and Griff2 like this.