Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    The last serious use of mine was on a 1000km weekend trip in june. There had been some rain that weekend and apart from some spraying of sensitive parts and lubing stuff etc I put it away uncleaned to my shame. Anyway it has been on some short runs in the interim and finally yesterday after some 4 months I finally got the cleaning stuff out. Thankfully under the grime it is still looking good.
    I have other bikes to do everything that I like to do on a motorcycle and as such the Dominator was originally purchased to attend classic events only. That was its sole purpose. However it is a delight to ride and as I am now in my 69th year its weight and size are more appropriate for my age and strength. As such I have a dilemma and that is to keep it as pristine as possible or otherwise put it to regular use. Sadly the regular use in wintertime over here will include salted roads and they will play havoc with an old bike (30 this year). My thinking is to store it for the Winter and then start regular use in the summer when at least only the flies will be a problem. So, roll on summer ......
    mrsdnf likes this.
  2. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Roger on the size and weight. I am 73 and the NX650 weighs the same as my old FT500 Ascot but is much easier on the back and sciatica, especially since I swapped in the SV650 shock. When I got home from yesterday's ride, there was a package on the front porch with a slab of soft Tempurfoam in it, so today I get to repad the seat. That ought to make it even easier on the butt. I'll post pictures as I go.
    I understand what you mean about buying a classic; do you enjoy it or keep it pristine? I got this classic 11 years ago and made it my daily driver. Never looked back, no regrets. If I'm lucky, I'll wear it out before my kids inherit it.

Attached Files:

• NSX4.jpg
      NSX4.jpg
      File size:
      166.9 KB
      Views:
    Griff2 likes this.
  3. Kolb Driver

Oddometer:
    Modded the stock seat today by cutting out a 1" thick slab of the original foam and replacing it with an inch of Tempur foam. It was pretty easy and turned out well. Tomorrow morning it goes to the upholstery shop and gets the original cover put back on.
    1. Lay it on your stock foam and draw some lines front and back with a marker.
    2. If you have a calipers and a straight edge, it is easy to make a cut line on the side 1" down. This will keep it identical to the stock profile.
    3. Here's what you'll cut it with.
    4. If you have a helper to bend the foam up and back as you cut it, it's a lot easier. Do one side a bit and then the other. Only do a couple inches at a time.
    5. Spray contact cement on both pieces, let them get tacky for a bit and join them up.
    6. Lay the electric knife along the side of the original foam and you can get a nice smooth cut.
    7. The contact cement will gum up the electric knife but this cleans it out quick. It also dissolves paint and softens plastic. Nail polish remover also sorta works..
    8. This is what it will look like after you get done carefully working it down with the knive.
    9. This is what it will look like after you take a circular sanding disk to it. Same as the original, but hopefully better for my ancient butt!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      235.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      240.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      237.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpeg
      4.jpeg
      File size:
      152.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpeg
      5.jpeg
      File size:
      222.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpeg
      6.jpeg
      File size:
      182.8 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpeg
      7.jpeg
      File size:
      286.3 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpeg
      8.jpeg
      File size:
      251.9 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpeg
      9.jpeg
      File size:
      230 KB
      Views:
  4. Kolb Driver

Oddometer:
    Update on the Tempurfoam seat - don't bother. Got it done, rode it for an hour this afternoon, no difference from stock foam.
    The operation was a success, but there was no improvement in the patient... Sigh...
  5. PPleven

PPleven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190525_153119897_HDR.jpg
    Griff2 and kylkim like this.
  6. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
  7. Kolb Driver

Oddometer:
    Looks worth trying, will make it a winter project. Thank you.
  8. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I solved this dilemma by buying a second Dominator in good condition and restored it close to mind condition. This way I can use my first Dommie that I bought back in 1992 every day and still have one that is always neat and clean :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jethrocephus, valkov1989 and Griff2 like this.
  9. vladu7z

vladu7z n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,

I need your advice on a decision. :)

I had 2 XT600Z Tenere 3AJ (1988 and 1989) and loved them both. I had to sell them because I moved and moving the bikes would have been very expensive. Now I am looking to buy another bike and am undecided:
    • use case: 300-400 km daily trips in Austria and 1000-3000km trips once per year in summer, two people (65kg+45kg) and some luggage.
    • some wishes: the sound of the 3AJ, cheap and easy to find parts, very reliable, easy to maintain, simple

XT600E:
    • basically same bike as 3AJ, but more parts are available.
    • Light, robust, easy to maintain, enough power
    • Harder to find in Austria (easier to find is the XT500E: same bike but smaller engine)
    • Newer models don't sound like my 3AJs
    • expensive
    XTZ660 Tenere:
    • better for longer trips with heavier stuff
    • power
    • more expensive to buy in good condition

(Honda NX500 Dominator (the NX650 is rare in Austria))
    • cheap to buy (1000-1500€) in very good condition
    • only 24hp
    • very nice design
    • quality parts and cheap to find
    • not so reliable?

Thank you very much :)
  10. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:

If I were carrying a pillion for 3000km I would use none of these bikes. However I think the 2011 on model of the XTZ 660 Tenere is better equipped to carry a pillion than the earlier models or the others quoted.
  11. kostikos

kostikos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MIG . Stainless. Waaay too loud. Unfortunately, I don't think this company is alive anymore.
  12. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! :thumb:thumb
  13. jethrocephus

jethrocephus His Honorable Right Minister of Flying Monkeys Supporter

Oddometer:
    EA33862B-4907-4AA5-87E7-DB1060FDC9DF.jpeg

39164789-0795-4FEE-9044-881B1635C1F2.jpeg

Took a lot of patience and persistence, but finally found an NX to replace the one I sold 15 or 16 years ago.
    Bounder and Griff2 like this.
  14. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    jethrocephus likes this.
  15. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I like the mooneyes on the skid plate.
    Clean looking 88 for sure!
    jethrocephus likes this.
  16. kylkim

kylkim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Winter is upon us and it's time to start planning some projects to keep busy.

I'm running stock lights on the NX and have though of adding some auxiliary lights to my crash bars to get more of a triangle light pattern.

I'm already way over my head, with a pair of sourced BMW GS light pods here in front of me and no idea how to wire the CAN bus to work in our "dumb" electrics.

Anyone done the research on this subject or seen it done?
  17. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Firstly you need to work out if your electrical system will do what you want it to do.
    The stock alternator is 180w and that was when it was new.
    Consider upgrading the stator first to give some decent power, I understand the 300+w Stator from the Honda VT, NT, NTV 500-650 will all fit the NX650 being just a little wider than the stock unit.
    You will need to upgrade the reg/rec unit as well to keep things under control.
    Once you have enough power then you can start running all the electrical stuff you want. Just think my little MSX125 has as much alternator power as the NX650!
    kylkim likes this.
  18. Gorm

Gorm Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So many pages of info and good stuff, but can’t seem to see that anybody answered the question if the XR650L exhaust would fit the NX650?! I’m in need of both headers and muffler..
  19. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Headers will fit as will the XR600 ones but not sure about muffler. But it won’t be that different just maybe a slightly different mount point.
  20. Gorm

Gorm Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, as long as it doesn’t hit the frame or something like that it should be fine! Looking at the Big Gun headers and a Yoshimura can.. all XR650L marked.