Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reason for you wanting the XRL exhaust system is because you have a leak between the header/mid pipe right ? What did you do to prevent the leak ?
    Your looking for double or single exhaust system ?
  2. Citronodlaren

Citronodlaren Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that most people choose to keep the crankcase breather system as it is. It do no harm I suppose, but it is in the way and looks ugly. Saw a kit somewhere for removing it. May I ask fellow inmates for opinions on this issue?
  3. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Are you referring to the Crankcase vent on top of the case to the airbox or the system that runs from the front of engine to the pump at the side and then upwards?
    Its easy to do away with the pump and block the two outlets in front of the engine. You have to block all the little ports as well, on the carb.
    The crankcase top to airbox is not that bad I think, it stops dirt getting into the crankcase, you have to use a small unifilter to stop dirt entering but water is also a consideration if you decide to remove that part of the system.
  4. rexelstar

rexelstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The crankcase breather system's made by Honda are mostly made for emission regulations in those day's.
    I remove these and use a small unifilter on the crankcase.
    The air filter box some rebuild/adjustment.

The (older) Honda breather system.. it's some sort of 'drinking your own piss'.

--------------------------
  5. rexelstar

Oddometer:
    Bought a 1990 with 15.000 km. Will clean it up and restore necessary parts.

Would not run properly under 2500 rpm.
    Carb given a clean and revision. Same problem so changed the CDI with a 12 euro China replacement, and now running perfectly.

Have a xr650r carb which will be tested on this bike.
    Install the later -MAN- manifold and airbox tube to make it fit properly. The carb is 8mm longer then the stock carb, so removed these 8mm at the cilinder side.

Spend a lot of hours polishing, repair etc. on the plastics.. but like new again;)

Attached Files:

mitsosvl likes this.
  6. bikerjim197

bikerjim197 n00b

Oddometer:
    This thing is great, I know this is an old post but do you have any more details of your fairings and side panels? Are your side panels home made?

Thanks
  7. PPleven

PPleven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone with experience with ride to Nordkap?
  8. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I think there is at least one member on here from those parts. I rode Norway years ago but only made it as far as Bodo when my back tyre on a Z1000ST started to wear prematurely and I was unable to get a replacement so the Nortkapp was never reached.
    PPleven likes this.
  9. mattmacklind

mattmacklind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked this up to go with my NX250...
    nx650b.jpg
    Chris Kane, rixcafe and Kolb Driver like this.
  10. kylkim

kylkim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only thing I know from our shop in Finland, is that the roads in the north of Norway are rougher than in most places, so you might need a tire replacement afterwards. Also, it costs something like 50 euros to go to the very top.
    PPleven likes this.
  11. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Some very nice specimens still available in the US obviously. Good ones are rare over here nowadays.
  12. PPleven

PPleven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About the handlebar risers: How is the maximum height without any additional changes of the clutch cable, the brake cable and etc.?
    Please, suggest me product in Europe.
    Thank you!
  13. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    My nephew has one just like that in TX he is thinking of selling. Only thing missing is the little windshield. Less than 6000 miles I think.
  14. Knobby-by-nature

Knobby-by-nature Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just did a '07 dl650/vstrom shock swap on my '88 nx650. Very disappointed with how weak the spring is. No preload the bike is bottomed out by its own weight. Preload and dampening maxed out i have 2" static sag and 4-3/4" race sag. Im about 180lbs with gear and tools.

Does anyone else have this setup? Trying to decide if i want to change spring rate or just start over with a different shock

Attached Files:

15. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    First pic of 2020 taken yesterday. The Dominator normally hibernates at this time of year especially because of the salty roads, but yesterday I needed to run the X-Adv to dry it after a wash. The roads were dried out and salt free for a few days after unseasonably warm weather so I took the opportunity to take the Dom out for a short spin also to keep it fresh. Quite a contrast in style between two bikes from the same manufacturer almost 30 years apart.......

P1070401.JPG
  16. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Looking good Griff!
    Back to work today, I was thinking about a spin but just didn't get time.
    I did see a good few guys about though no doubt blowing off cobwebs, a ZZR1400 and a Deauville 700 both passed me yesterday.
    I can't believe how well your engine looks, mine is much patchier then yours.
    Griff2 likes this.
  17. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm work. Fortunately I'm retired and don't miss work a bit :)

The motors not bad as You say, but not perfect either. Very difficult to keep that original paint in place over the years. The previous 2 owners did a good job and I'm doing my best albeit it has had more use in the few years I have had it than in the previous 25 on average.
  18. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I got mine from IGNITECH.cz they have a reasonable website . Mine has been working for the last 5 years no issues.
    Lajbi and Bell driver like this.
  20. rexelstar

Oddometer: