Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Andylarkin

Andylarkin n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello there fellow Dommie owners… I was wondering if you could help with a hopefully straightforward question.

I started pulling my 95 RD02 apart to change the shock and tidy up some areas, get the swinger power coated etc. I thought that i had taken sufficient photos of where everything went back together, but when it came to the re-assemble I realised I hadn't covered the hose routing and connections… namely the hoses/pipes that come from the carb/petrol tank/crankcase breather.

I thought I had it worked out and then read somewhere on here about the routing for the pipes that are joined to the Y shape connector.

I wrongly thought that this pipe came off the carb, one part went down the back of the engine and exited near the swingarm and then the other pipe connected to the thin tube on the bottom of the petrol tank (Pipe A and Tube A in the images attached). I also assumed that the big fat pipe (B on pic) connected to the big fat tube on the bottom the petrol tank (B on pic) and then worked its way down the back of the engine to exit near the swingarm in the same way.

Have I got this wrong as I read on here that the Y shape pipes connect to the carb, one goes down the back of the engine and the other sits up on top of the airbox.
    If that is the case what pipe comes from the thin tube (A) at the bottom of the tank.

Sorry for the dumb questions. Normally I would not have got into this much bother but I had to go away for work immediately after I pulled it apart and so it was weeks before I got around to reversing the process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andy Pipes.jpg
    Tank Bottom.jpg
  2. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't know my domi ('93) is original or not, but. Pipe B is straigthforward: the fuel tank owerflow.
    But the A: the bottom down as usual, the "middle" goes on to the carb bowl overflow, and the top end routed above the air filter box.
    And a sepateded pipe for the small chunk on fuel tank breather goes down below too.
  3. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My best spent money on domi was the Ignitech progammable unit.
  4. Ducatiparts.110mb

Ducatiparts.110mb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "I just did a '07 dl650/vstrom shock swap on my '88 nx650. Very disappointed with how weak the spring is. No preload the bike is bottomed out by its own weight. Preload and dampening maxed out i have 2" static sag and 4-3/4" race sag. "

Whether it fits is only part of the battle. As you've found out, the linkage ratio and spring rate is unlikely to work without some mods. I'm the UK distributor for The Shock Factory - happy to answer suspension questions. Mark
  5. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Good to know, I have been looking at the Shock Factory site for a while now.
    They look like good units, although I would be buying in Euro rather than STG.
  6. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi folk!

I'm about to replace my rear shock for a used DL1000. Seams quite good, just need other little bit longer bolt for bottom.

My guestion is: do I need to order seals and bearings from motorcycle parts, like cmsnl.com, or can I found it on normal bearing shop for good price?

Thank You

Attached Files:

7. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    The shock is non serviceable unless you fit a valve, are you replacing the whole seal head or just the seals?
    I would think about replacing the shock for a new one rather than rebuilding it unless you are very skilled at brazing and machine work.
    The linkage seals and bearings are pretty standard sizes IIRC, easy to buy from bearing companies.
  8. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I speaking about the linkage. The parts numbered 21, 22 and 23 on below:

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx650-d...model3918/partslist/F__2300.html#.Xi_6inVKg9Y

Honda part numbers:
    Oil Seal17.5x26x5 , 91205KT2005
    Seal, Cush Arm 17. 91261MN9005
    Needle bearing 91079KA3831

First I just put in the whole DL1000 shock as is.
  9. mitsosvl

mitsosvl GOA

Oddometer:
    Hey !
    Will a 140/80/17 Anlas Capra X rear tyre fit Dommie?
  10. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    It depends on the actual tyre width, tyres are a nominal size.
    I can tell you that the bike will handle strangely with a tyre that wide fitted.
    mitsosvl likes this.
  11. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bright blue skies, 59 degrees, and a gravel road to a swinging bridge? On February 2nd? Yes, Please. 20200202_154736 (Large).jpg
    Chris Kane, enduro16 and Griff2 like this.
  12. pistonbroke 66

pistonbroke 66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a chance of getting a dominator of a mate who is considering thinning out his collection. Having lost 2 hours of my life reading this thread i'm now convinced it could be a good buy as the bike is well cared for. Anything in particular to look out for?
    mitsosvl likes this.
  13. rexelstar

rexelstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a good clean and polish. No leakage of the seals, so just some new oil. IMG_1283.JPG IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1286.JPG
    Lajbi and mitsosvl like this.
  14. mitsosvl

mitsosvl GOA

Oddometer:
    Nop!! Just take it. :clap
  15. pistonbroke 66

Oddometer:
  16. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take it! Just the usual thing on old bikes - aged rubbers and so on.
    mitsosvl likes this.
  17. kostikos

kostikos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you can, remove the front chain sprocket and inspect the countershaft splines for wear. See some posts above. If there is no wear, but the front sprocket is not OEM, replace it.
  18. pistonbroke 66

Oddometer:
    thank you
  19. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's true for old sprockets. They made thinner, but harder, so usually eat the countershaft.
    Sprockets seams to be better nowdays. For example the JTF308 is OK. Even more, the JT JTF308.15RB has rubber cushion.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF308RB/

Bye,
    Lajbi
  20. kostikos

kostikos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. I said this assuming it is an older non-OEM sprocket in there.
    For the person that asked, even 2mm spline wear (reduced outer diameter) is enough to be an issue.
    Lajbi likes this.