Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    If you are interested a DL650 Weestrom shock is almost exactly the same dimensions as the RD02 NX650, the spring rate is less though but if you find a good secondhand unit you may be able to respring it for the NX easily enough.
    I don't have any damping specs for it though.
  2. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    Thank you. That is good information to have.

I have not yet had to look at altetnatives.

The 88-89, RD02, service manual states a free length 9.44" on the OEM spring. That is exactly what the old original squishy spring measures. Looks good media blasted with black rubberized paint.

[​IMG]

It also states that the minimum free length is 9.26".

No mention of spring rates anywhere in the manual or what the preload distance or max/min range should be.

For now I will give EPM Perfomance and Hyperpro an oportunaty to make the sale.

On a side note the shock is in good order.
    Bounder likes this.
  3. SWANGPO

SWANGPO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sorry for the intrusion, I intend to buy the OTR oil cooler anyone has experience with it? The mounting is easy?
    I let you know about the HYPER PRO soon, just bought it.
  4. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Griff2 likes this.
  5. SWANGPO

SWANGPO Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Postal service is running between US and GR though? I imported some stuff just a week ago.
  7. SWANGPO

SWANGPO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Customs Duties is a complete expensive mess here plus the waiting time is more than 1 1/2 month. Thank you anyway

8. SWANGPO

SWANGPO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys does anybody have experience with the mikuni tm40 carburateur?
    Thank you
  9. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did that. Got a dl1000 shock - same size, little bit stiffer spring than dl650, adjustable rebound damping and hidraulic preload.
    The outside dimensions are same. You need to change the lower bolt: the domi has thread in the shock bottom, with suzi you need a nut on the other side. Use 10.9 bolt.
    But...
    With original spring, my '93 rd02 sit at the half way of the stroke - 100m sag (not race sag, just empy bike!). Not sure, but I think the domi has 13kg/mm spring, and dl1000 has 8.3 kg/mm spring...
    So I swaped the springs. Not easy, one need a good, strong spring tensioner tool, we speeking about 40mm press, which is 520kg...
    The dl1000 shock with domi spring is quite stiff - 10mm race sag (so with me on the bike, 95kg ~ 210 lbs). Waay too stiff.
    Maybe a solution, if you take out the hidraulic preload unit (45mm height), and made other "head".
    But I think, that dl1000 shock has too low dampening effect for the significant stronger spring. So I give up, and bought an original rear shock.
    Other direction is YSS or similar aftermarket, at significant higher cost, but promising result...

Oh, and the place of the hidraulic preload handler is not so simple. Fist I put it in the place of the helmet lock, but here the chain can hit it. So need some spacer, to put outward about 15mm...

Attached Files:

Honda Scoot and Bounder like this.
  10. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    So then the spring on the newly purchased OEM shock is better than the one you started with?

What measurement was your Initial preload setting of the spring, as I may have to re-install the original OEM spring.
  11. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My domi shock preloaded near full. This is not far from as need to press the domi spring to fit to dl1000 shock, just 5-8mm more. But the hidraulic preload head had 45mm height, even with no preload on it.
    My old shock spiring is ok, but the damper is died, near no damping at all.
    I bough a used, good looking domi shock cheaper (~60 EUR), than a rebuild cost on old one...
    BTW, the dl1000 shock was about same price, they change it to aftermarket one often.

Attached Files:

12. rexelstar

rexelstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be replacing with TFX Suspension shock. The oem is a bit rusty but original 15.000 km. If someone can be made 'happy' for shipping costs let me know.
  13. rexelstar

Oddometer:
    The re-plated yellow bolts looking nice on the engine and covers. More friendly :-)

PHOTO-2020-08-27-20-39-56.jpg
    Honda Scoot, Griff2 and Lajbi like this.
  14. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    The painted covers look great , what colour did you paint them!
  15. rexelstar

Oddometer:
    Volkswagen LD1V / L2 Travertin Metallic / Travertine Metallic unnamed.jpg
    Bounder likes this.
  16. L_Francisc

L_Francisc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings friends. I have a 1991 Honda Dominator nx650 that has been on pause for more than 2 years.

My problem is that once started it stays on only if I keep it above 5000 rpm when I leave it in idle it stops.

1. I have a battery, I also checked with the new car battery
    2. There is a spark, but eventually, I will try a new spark plug,
    3. The carburettor is recently cleaned, however, I cleaned it with spray and solution, but I did not insist too much through all the little holes.
    4. The carburettor flange is new
    5. Gasoline is fresh from the pump, it was taken 2 days ago,

What do you think it could be or what else to check? I think that the piston rings are gone and I don't have compression, but I might be wrong.
  17. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I think it is either the CDI unit, or the Carb. To me the symptoms are more fuel than spark but the CDI unit on these will fail and needs to be replaced.
    The Carb has to be thoroughly cleaned, there is 4 tiny holes on the bottom of the inlet just behind the butterfly valve, you need to open the valve slightly for these to be visible.
    These holes have to be clean or the bike won't run right.
    Take a brass wire brush and pull a bristle out and use that to clean the holes.
    Then blow carb cleaner through the carb to flush them out.
    L_Francisc likes this.
  18. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same, as in fb group ;)
    Bye,
    Lajbi
    L_Francisc likes this.
  19. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:

Perhaps blocked Pilot jets also ?
    Bounder likes this.
  20. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Could very well be that.
    Poster said it was cleaned but I don't know what they mean by clean.
    I assumed perhaps incorrectly that cleaning means removal of all jets and cleaning of same so that there are no blocked holes and light can be seen through the pilot and main jet and emulsion tube.
    Once the carb is cleaned properly then you can diagnose further, the 4 holes behind the butterfly make a big difference to idling.
    Griff2 likes this.