Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. rexelstar

rexelstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a similar problem when I picked it up a year ago.
    Would only run above 4000 rpm. After trying several times I did (for some reason) open the airbox cover just after shutdown. The airbox was completely filled with smoke and gasses. Looked like a exhaust smoking at the wrong side of the engine.
    Refurbished the carb and the same problem with the gasses in the airbox. Ordered a china CDI for 25 euro and the bike started straight up and run like new.

So let it run above 4000 rpm then shut-of the engine and open the airbox cover asap. Filled up with gasses and smoke, buy a cheap try out CDI to check.

Have fun and drive save!
  2. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    That's an unusual type of CDI failure, When mine went bad it was harder to start and when it failed it just refused to start.
    I wonder what was causing the smoke in yours?
  3. rexelstar

Oddometer:
    Well I don't know, but it was gone after replacing the CDI. Checked afterwards and clean air in the box.
    Probably wrong timing of ignition (?) or otherwise. Is it possible that the ignition could be so far advanced that it is "coughing" backwards through the intake?

Problem was solved anyhow...
  4. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    The timing being badly out would sort of make sense, at least to my amateur thinking.
    rexelstar likes this.
  5. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Its a strange failure mode what ever it was.
    Good that you got it sorted anyway.
  6. rexelstar

Oddometer:
    Left engine side ready. Just some Alu Motip engine paint for touch up. Polished the inner of the starter.
    The nos chain cover is oem in color, and somewhat darker as the painted side engine cover. Not much and hard to see if you don't know.

The engine is the second engine that is still in it's newly sold oem condition, the other is a xl500s engine with around oem 7500 km, not as neat as this one and leaking some oil on the cam stop rubber and head gasket. But I cannot part/repair it for some reason.. still pulls as a Beast.

Just like it's boss..leaking, puffing and smoking from time to time..

IMG_1839.JPG IMG_1840.JPG
  7. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I hope you will ride it when you get it back together, too pretty and you will be worried if the weather is bad.
  8. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    A week passed and Brian from EPM Performance Imports calls. He says that they have the rear spring I need for the '88 to '91 NX650 in stock.

They will send it to me if I pay the shipping costs. Wait. What? As I have previously offered to purchase it many times.
    He explains they (and Hyperpro) unknowingly sent the wrong spring seven years ago unaware of Honda's suspension changes. I offered to return / ship the spring I have to them. They did not want it.

Today the new spring arrives as promised!

[​IMG]

Spring # 0469, NX 650 Dominator, 88 - 91

[​IMG]

Bonus items were enclosed: Mike's card, EPM Pen, and some SWEET decals that will be applied to the swing arm and panniers.

[​IMG]

Hyperpro # KBA 91323 0469 with Gloss Black powder coating on the left with the OEM spring media blasted and coated with rubberized paint on the right.

[​IMG]

Both rear springs have basically the same free length, Inside Diameter, and flat ground ends.
    The OEM spring is made from 13mm round stock while the Hyperpro measured 14mm in diameter.
    The Hyperpro spring has a progressive wind and the OEM is constant.
    The Hyperpro spring has 10.4 wraps while the OEM has 7.4 turns.

I need to mount the new spring with 8mm to 10 mm preload and adjust the front / rear sag.

[​IMG]

I am confidant all will be as GREAT as my experience with EPM Performance Imports and Hyperpro.
    Bounder likes this.
  9. SWANGPO

SWANGPO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI, do you know where can I find a comparison thread domi vs versys? I like the versatility of domi thats why i bought it for 2nd time since my 1st in 2000 had a switch off problem while in neutral....Now i m wondering if there is any other bike who is good enough for 2 passengers while on rocky off roads. My limitation is that i am 174cm height and i cant handle good enough heavy bikes off road. So i have limited options to enjoy forest roads for a 50-50 use...any other option available except domi? Its sad that they didcontinued it and i have to look for parts long time...
  10. rexelstar

Oddometer:
    For two passengers 50-50 there is limited choice.
    - CB500X is more road orientated but very nice, bit heavy off-road, low price second hand and I am 1.70cm.
    - XR650L good choice still a bit heavy
    - XR400 light strong bike but not sure for two passengers..
    - XL500S or XL250S twinshock great handling, low seat, strong engine and enough room for passenger. Bad brakes and always check oil level. My choice;)
    - XL500r and XL600r mono shock both capable for the job
    Finding one in a good condition is the art..
  11. SWANGPO

SWANGPO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CB500X is a good choice but dont you thihk it's a bit tiring for the 2nd passenger even in a good road condintion or is it just me who thinks that?
    Usualy it takes me 2hrs to reach the mountains and then riding into the forest for another 3 hrs ride. By the time I reach the mountains the 2nd passenger will be "off" due to uncomfortable sitting position of CB500X. Domi I think is more comfotrable even on that aspect on a good road......and more handy maneuvering off road, am I wrong? thank you
  12. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    I also like to "ride" to a motorcycle event or riding destination.
    But sometimes those big cruiser guys get something right.

[​IMG]

I may have...
    on occassion...
    trailered or hauled a perfectly good bike to a riding area. Not that I would ever recommend such a silly option; however, it opens your bike choices, or you can stay with your Dominator that you already know.
    mattmacklind and SWANGPO like this.
  13. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    So the OEM shock with the stiff spring went to the local bike shop for spring removal. It cost $10 US Dollars to keep my fingers intact, and garage free of heavy flying objects.

OEM on left and Stiff spring to the the right.

[​IMG]

I mounted the newly arrived Hyperpro progresive spring with 9.5mm of preload.
    This gave 87mm of rider sag and 32mm of static sag.

The forks were previously rebuilt using new OEM components including the springs.
    Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators were adjusted to 1 turn of preload on the Yellow spring. I made 14mm long spacers from PVC pipe to provide 10 mm of preload to the main fork springs. These replaced the OEM steel preload tubes.
    This gave a rider sag of 86mm and 51mm of static sag.

Now the bike has new springs front and rear that sits level within 1mm with me on the saddle with feet on the pegs.
  14. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, 87mm rider sag seams too long for me. Rule of thumb is 30-33% of stroke. Which leads to 60-66mm...
  15. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought too!

I should lose the 20 pounds gained in the last 40 years.

Static sag on the Hyperpro paper work, photo above, says 40 to 50mm and mines at 32mm. Edit: that may be for the forks?
    It's a progressive spring, so it should get stiffer as it compresses.

87mm rider sag of 195mm total travel gives me 55% of the rear suspension for additional compression.

86mm rider sag of 220mm total travel gives me 61% of the front suspension for additional compression.

Rode the bike today, and it felt fine. No problems or issues even when riding across 2ft deep ditches along the side of the road.

Honestly the suspension is what it is, and I'm glad this project is finally DONE.

I was amazed at the torque of this 32 year old thumper. Dry pavement, thank goodness, stock gearing, rolling along in 2nd gear, 2500 RPM, pointed in a safe direction, no roll on - just whack it to W.O.T.

It's a light switch. It's on and gone to redline in a heart beat. No hesitation. No mid range power band. Its all power band! What a welcomed surprise.
    rexelstar and Lajbi like this.
  16. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spending the day putting on a new back tire, chain & sprockets. Aftermarket back sprocket fits OK, the front sprocket fits, but the retainer doesn't line up. The sprocket that was on it when I bought it (the right one) has the retaining bolt holes slightly asymmetrical - each one of them is just to the side of the shaft center line. The new one (on the left) has both holes right on the center line of the shaft. Which is the factory setup? Do I fuss at the aftermarket supplier for sending me the wrong sprocket, or did I have an oddball sprocket on all along and they sent me the right one?
    (And now I need to get a new retainer)
    P1000118.JPG
  17. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lajbi likes this.
  18. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I needed! Thanks much!
  19. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Pic from the lunch stop on a backroad spin of about 200Kms yesterday with a friend on his CB500X. The two bikes are 30 years apart but on the road there is little between them. The NX would have the torque advantage out of bends of course, but the 500 has a nice midrange. The suspension on the NX works as well as the CB which has been modified with YSS shock and fork internals. We were on really rough roads which were potholed, narrow and twisty. We also did a few short dry tracks offroad also. The weather has been dry for a while so the bikes remained clean. Very enjoyable spin overall.

IMG_E0160.JPG
    SWANGPO, Lajbi, Honda Scoot and 2 others like this.
  20. rexelstar

Oddometer:
    New rear shock :gdog IMG_1880a.jpg
    Lajbi and Griff2 like this.