Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    @rexelstar do you have a display area for your bike in the house? It's beautiful. I have a friend with three BSA's in glass cases.

I took the bike out for ride today. Good fun to put around some back roads.

[​IMG]

My neighbor, Sticker Mike, is making Camel Trophy decals for the windshield and panniers.

mattmacklind, scrambler66 and Griff2 like this.
  2. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Im afraid I am one of those animals :fpalm. Hate bringing it out on wet days. However on a 1000km weekend last year I got properly caught out in bad weather with it.
  3. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finished installing a new chain and sprockets, and two new Shinko tires today, an E705 90/90-21 on the front, and an E705 140/80-17 on the back. Only got in an hour ride, about 70% asphalt, 30% gravel, but I liked them pretty well. Lots less vibration on the asphalt than the Bridgestone Trail Wings, adhesion and tracking on asphalt felt good, felt very secure and relaxed blitzing some gravel roads, running 23 psi in the back, 22 in the front. Haven't even worn off the mold flaps yet! 20200914_173624[1].jpg 20200914_173639[1].jpg
    SWANGPO and Chris Kane like this.
  4. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Metzeler Saharas work well for me. I had some scary moments with the front end when Conti's were fitted but the Metzelers sorted that.
  5. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    @Kolb Driver did you change the sprocket size(s) for the larger rear tire?

I was surprised that the E705s work remarkably well on pavement and gravel despite there appearance.

I have to ask about the slash cut tubes. Looks good with the exhaust cans below them.
  6. Kolb Driver

Oddometer:
    Went 1 tooth more on the rear sprocket.
    I got those Shinko's because last week I went on a long ride on some dry and also some muddy forest roads, and my friend with a DR650 and Shinko's had no trouble staying ahead of me. At the time I had a set of somewhat worn Trail Wings.
    I like to ride light, the slash cut tubes hold the Frog Toggs/rain suit, pants in one side, jacket in the other. Combined with the cheap little ebay tail bag, I can carry all I need. The tubes are 4" thinwall pvc from Home Depot, the end caps are standard caps, ground down a bit, and held in place with a 3/16" pin, with a flat washer brazed on the top, I also grind a notch in the bottom of the pin and slip a snug grommet over it to keep it from vibrating up and out. The slash ends are easy to make, cut it at the angle you want, trace it over a bit of thin plywood or paneling, cut it out, pop it in place and tack it with some superglue. Then mix up some epoxy and smear it around the inside joint. Welded up a frame to hold it, and done.
    Also here is a picture of my navigation system for finding and exploring specific back roads! P1000121.JPG P1000122.JPG P1000123.JPG P1000124.JPG
    Chris Kane likes this.
  7. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    Love seeing others solutions.

You painted the tubes body color. Nice touch!

Handlebar bag support is awesome, as I have never liked a tank bag and currently own none.
  8. Kolb Driver

Oddometer:
    Thanks! The color is NOT a prefect match, it is a hair too dark, but it's pretty close. Porsche LM5S Yachting Blue.
  9. SWANGPO

SWANGPO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great comparison. Very helpful. My 2nd hand recent domi (2nd one throughout the years,) costs me already a lot of money. 2000e to buy it. 2400 to buy new spare parts and 600 for the service since the previews owner ride it without oil........So, it will be a painful story ahead to customize it repair it.....(plus hyperpro+mikuni...)
    So, I am thinking to leave this repair effort of the domi and buy a new one bike and I am in between cb500x and NORDEN 901....I can wait for the NORDEN but I am not sure about it's ability to carry a 2nd passenger offroad. I don;t know either how well the cb500x goes offroad with 2 passengers. So, I have to ask you guys if the new bikes CB500X and the NORDEN are as good offroad and lightweight (for the NORDEN at least) as domi supporting 2 passengers good enough. Thank you.
  10. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    Being kind of new to the NX650 experiance, I have a question.

I stumbled upon the rubber intake pulsing. It's fairly hard rubber yet moves, swells and retracts, by an estimated 1/8" (3mm). If the RPMs increase it just pulses faster, but the amount of movement is the same.

The manifold was reviewed during the restoration with no problems found. The bike runs great with no vacuum leaks.

So is it designed to pulse like this?

There is no other resonator to absorb the air flow stoppage when the intake valves close and the flow gets interupted.

11. rexelstar

rexelstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In perspective, How it works...

I have a xr500 where I assembled Ferrea 1mm larger valves, and now I wonder why..
    They will give more resistant when closing the inlet valves... Uhhh

I had a hard feeling next to a Audi rs4 from a 2-way road to one-way road two years back, at the crossover lights.
    First two gears further and shit.. I am gone see some grass..Third gear this time with full throttle, the xr500 came above 4500 rpm and met the above Porsche turbo boost.

Later when reading and learning 'how it works' I probably unknowingly hit the jackpot. So just learned why I was blown away from the Audi ;-))

I love my hybrid xr500 twinshock more then any bike until now, for as long as it stays running.
  12. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I have seen this type of pulsing on many and varied motors previously. It happens new or old. Nothing to be concerned about imho.
    Lajbi likes this.
  13. rexelstar

Oddometer:
    I hate the ugly passenger brackets of the NX. I don't ride with passengers anyway..
    But need a cover for the brake reservoir and brake cilinder.
    So been busy today with the new layout.
    Needs a fresh paint job. IMG_1902.JPG
    Lajbi likes this.
  14. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    The NX250 has a crazy looking plastic intake resinator to cushion the pulses.
    The NX125 has no resinator and a solid intake boot, but it's tiny and so cute.

I don't mess with traffic much anymore, but when I do its usually with a V4 engine.

Your rear pegs are gorgeous. Mine are two tubes flattened and welded. Seriously OEM midevil blacksmith craftsmanship.
  15. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rexelstar and Lajbi like this.
  16. rexelstar

Oddometer:
  17. rexelstar

Oddometer:
    Still done.. IMG_1904.JPG IMG_1907.JPG IMG_1910.JPG
    Lajbi and scrambler66 like this.
  18. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looking great - I love it when a dommi is restored and preserved with attention to detail (and regardless of costs :clap)

In the meantime - one of the "tuning" manifolds broke

[​IMG]

So I had to mount the original manifolds. While I'm at it I also mounted an Arrow Pars-Dakar muffler. I have a NX650 retro enduro in my mind, but for that I need a muffler which is not too loud.

[​IMG]

The Arrow is surprisingly moderate when idling, let's see how it is when driving.

100.000 mile thumper club https://advrider.com/f/threads/100-000-mile-thumper-club.1467709/
    iamdorus and rexelstar like this.
  19. rexelstar

Oddometer:
    Carb IMG_1926.JPG IMG_1927.JPG and airbox..
  20. SWANGPO

SWANGPO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the rox risers anti-vibe? whats the right model / size for domi? Is there any problem with the cables?