Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. rexelstar

rexelstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Progress.. AF2B7ED3-B98A-4B04-A0F2-3A08B1D7FE25.JPG B2E891EF-B3D4-434C-A2FA-C5BBED267459.JPG
    stratos34, scrambler66 and Lajbi like this.
  2. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi volks!

Just riding. 720km 3-day "long" weekend, one day Trans Europ Trail new path searching. That day without rear box.

domi_mig21.jpg
    stratos34 and scrambler66 like this.
  3. SWANGPO

SWANGPO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear fellows where can I find the driver's rubber footpegs in europe? model nx650x. I am searching for an hour on the web with no results. They have for previews models before 1994. ALso, is it possible to replace the whole driver's footpegs wih other? any suggestions?
  4. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. SWANGPO

SWANGPO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Does it fit? It says year 1989 not 1999 that i m lloking for. ?
    Thank you.
  6. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. SWANGPO

SWANGPO Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. marmisto

marmisto n00b

Oddometer:
    P5080079.JPG fullsizeoutput_1bce.jpeg fullsizeoutput_21e1.jpeg
    Some of my NX builds..... marmisto.co.uk
    scrambler66 and stratos34 like this.
  9. nxlr650

nxlr650 n00b

Oddometer:
  10. nxlr650

nxlr650 n00b

Oddometer:
    Recently I converted to a 15/40t setup. Got to say I like it. It would be too tall for some for sure. But I'm only 160lbs. It relaxed the motor for the commutes... 15/45 was at 4500rpm @ 65, now is 4000. Gear selection does have to be made to suit above chugging but then no matter what sprockets you run you are preventing chugging there too if you're paying attention. The plan is to buy another chain for the 45 so they can be swapped out when I plan for some off-roading, which isn't that often.
  11. stratos34

stratos34 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good afternoon Guys. I am a new owner of a 99' NX 650 Dominator. I bought it with the following extras: Acerbis tank, Framing for rear Panniers, WP progressive springs front and WP shock absorber w/rebound adj. Generally although it has only 50,000km, it was bought in poor overall condition (1300€). But I am planning to customise it (already everything is dismantled, including the engine).

20200912_142557[1].jpg
    For the suspension except the mod with the shock absorber from DL 650, what else could I do??
    For the rear I know about Hyperpro, Ohlins which are expensive, only rebound adjustment and are almost same with the WP I currently have.
    The emulators are expensive at 180$ + shipping + tax for EU, same as other parts i.e. 41mm preload adjusters, tarozzi fork brace etc. Does anybody tried to fit any adjustable forks and/or Shocks on it from another bike? And what about the swingarm? Do we have any owner with XR parts?
    For the engine after measurements of liner we will either machine it to 101mm or keep it as original at 100mm and order the relevant wiseco piston. I am going for the high compression one (10.5:1)
    Thanks in advance!!!
    scrambler66 likes this.
  12. scrambler66

Oddometer:
    stratos34 likes this.
  13. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do you want to do with this bike? Not suitable for off-road racing. For "adventure touring" - whatever means it for you - don't need to spent too much on it.
    Rear: you are right, dl650/dl1000 shock way too soft (8.5kg/mm vs 13.5kg/mm). If you change spring to domi, it get too much preload, and no damping...
    I heard some xr200 rear shock replacement. But this bike is rare in europe... I think if you go to road gamblng, any aftermarket rear shock ok. If you want to use it more "off-road", any aftermarket with external reservoire is good.
    Front: certain years of xr600 fork and clamps suitable for domi/transalp, and AFAIK from '91 it's a cartride fork. But it lift the front, so you need to lift the rear too. If you have workshop, you can use even some upside-down crf forks too. But I think it's totaly too much work for too less results. I'm used race tech's cartride emulator, which improved the front a lot, without destroying the original geometry.

Engine-wise I'm changed the cam chain, checked valves and clutch plates and springs. I needed to change the cheap ebay-based ignition to ignitech one. The rest is quite ok. My bike has 60k km, about 24k what I made in two years.

Best money spent on bike was the racetech valves and this ignition module.
    I'm a mechanical engineer, and don't want to over-engineer the factory. If I need a stronger bike, I will buy a xr650r...

Bye,
    Lajbi

Attached Files:

stratos34, mas335 and scrambler66 like this.
  14. scrambler66

Oddometer:
    A XR400/XR650 fork is probably not much longer than a NX650 fork? The Dominator has very long fork tubes, the RD02 even a bit longer than the ones from the Xr600.

[​IMG][​IMG]

100.000 mile thumper club https://advrider.com/f/threads/100-000-mile-thumper-club.1467709/
    stratos34 likes this.
  15. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I agree with the YSS suggestion above. I have one on my CRF and a friend has one on his early model NX and both work well at reasonable prices. Mine has not has an easy time on the CRF as it is mostly used offroad and is holding up well with over 18,000kms on it.
    stratos34 likes this.
  16. stratos34

stratos34 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys thank you all for your replies.
    I am building the bike for Offroad Travelling, not for Racing (as it is not a suitable one to begin with). It will be vintage styled but properly done for mud/stones, not for my living room :)
    IMG-5fc9e2e91e420c826d3b8a632240e70a-V[1].jpg

I have already bought a tank from a 1972 Honda CB500 Four (17ltr), which I will reduce its length from the rear, in order the seating position be as much possible to the middle and (although lower) same as the original one. Several small brackets will be cut/removed, and holes not needed will be blanked/welded.

IMG-14369e5d50f7db6263ee45df89c139fd-V[1].jpg
    For the suspension, I will just service the parts I already have and add a tarozzi fork brace. Brakes, I am lucky as I got the brembo ones (oem), therefore I will just add braided lines and service them.

The original question was if you have any experience with the aluminum swingarms of XR's and/or different 41mm forks (which I can just fit in the original Triple Clamp without excessive hassle.
    About YSS I will look into it, although I am tending more to Wilbers for a better solution.

The motor's liner found with Ovality almost above standards, therefore need to be machined. But for now I will just close it (as it works without problems) and after some thousands km's I will proceed to Overhauling/Liner machining/head porting, and upgrade it with different piston (++compression), 1st stage camshaft, and springs for clutch.

I have already made a drawing of how it will become, but I keep it as a surprise, :) !!!!

Generally I am a Motorcyclist almost all my life, as well as a daily commuter (80km/day) with a Triumph Scrambler 900. The NX will be the true offroad Scrambler :)

Happy & Joyful Km's without problems Everyone!!!
  17. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About brakes: someone did the 256mm -> 276mm front disc upgrade?
    Lot of honda bikes has little bit bigger disc, but transalp 600 has 6 bolt, SLR has 5 bolt. But AfricaTwin 750 has 4 bolt, seams suitable. All discs has 144mm inner, 166m hole diameter...
    As for caliper: the Transalp 600 has quite similar front fork, but 276mm disc. Is that caliper bolt-on for nx650? Or SLR?

Thank You,
    Lajbi
    stratos34 likes this.
  18. stratos34

stratos34 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For braking improvement, have you installed braided lines??
  19. Lajbi

Lajbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, goodridge one. This was the last winter upgrade.
    Finaly, de dl1000 shock was throw out, and replaced a newer showa.

Bye,
    Lajbi

Attached Files:

stratos34 likes this.
  20. SWANGPO

SWANGPO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some mods. Mikuni t40 , haidenau, hyperpo and 23l tank and ready for every mountain. I have completed my first trip with this bike, and I am facing the same problem same as my first domi 20 years back.; engine stops in traffic lights when it is heated and while I am changing gear also in between 2, 1 and neutral. Any expert / link to solve the issue? Please help. The first one I sold it because none could fix the problem, now I am facinfg the same problem...

Attached Files:

stratos34 likes this.