Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. mattmacklind

mattmacklind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently broke my clutch lever. I bought a replacement part advertised to fit but its way too fat to slide in where it belongs. Anyone have a link to one that will surely fit? Thanks,
  2. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday one last ride with the Domi in 2020 to take advantage of the nice weather and to make the 165,000km full . This year I drove almost 18,000km with her. Now she can take a well-deserved winter break - because she is not a good winter vehicle. Too long warm-up time below 5C °, which is not improved by the oil cooler.

The lithium battery also has its problems with low temperatures - but with 20 seconds of preheating with the light switched on, it warms up to the point where the starter power is sufficient.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

100.000 mile thumper club https://advrider.com/f/threads/100-000-mile-thumper-club.1467709/
    stratos34 and Lajbi like this.
  3. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Last year I decided that the old Bosch battery in mine needed replacement. I started looking on the web and then remembered I had a spare battery from one of my other bikes in the shed. That was a Yuasa YTZ14S. Anyway while initially it looked too big to fit the battery tray I gave it a go. It actually fitted albeit it was a tighter fit than the original. All it took was a slight shaving of the insulating pads and it went in. Since then starting is almost instantaneous regardless of how long the bike has been rested.
  4. TinoPT

TinoPT n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum. I use to read I lot of your post here to learn a lot about our bike. Want to thank you all for the shared knowledge :) I'm living in Africa and in this hot whether my bike start to tickling from a losen exhaust valve seat with only 35.000km. Here is very hard to find parts to this bike, so I want to order from the US or Europe a raw valve seat bar to be machined by a turner here. In order to do this I have to know approximately the original exhaust valve seat measurements. I can disassembly the head of my bike an measure it from there, but it will mean to stop my bike for months! I hope some one with and old valve seat in this forum can help me with the inside diameter, outside diameter and width.

Thank you all

Tino

Here's a pic of my baby :)

Attached Files:

5. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum.
    Try posting your question on the Honda XRL Owners thread..
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/xrl-owners-sign-in.114834/page-6092
    Same motor as your bike.

You could also try private message to mcma111 who is a long time contributor and what he doesn't know about these engines isn't worth knowing.

Good luck
  6. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. stratos34

stratos34 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year Guys & Gals. 20210109_120000[1].jpg

This is the latest update from my Honda NX650. Many parts have been changed/modded, and many more are coming.
    mihailkolev, leemrw, SB4 and 4 others like this.
  8. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Hey Stratos,

What's it like with that Arrow can on the back?
  9. Knobby-by-nature

Knobby-by-nature Adventurer

Oddometer:
    y2blade likes this.
  10. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    nx right side.jpg

I picked up an 89 yesterday and wheeled it into the garage. Then I went out for gas and to get some first impressions. 8,000 miles on it!

Just joined the thread and look forward to reading through all the pages. Also interested in mods/parts... ect. But I don't intend to do radical changes.

Hello!
  11. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Lovely bike in excellent condition. Best of luck with it.
  12. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It got up to 70 around here yesterday, so me & a bud went exploring back roads in Scott County, VA.
    Houses, swinging bridges & trestles over 100 years old. Only the trestle is still good. My bud that was riding with me is from around here, his Granpa helped build that trestle in 1918.

Attached Files:

heirhead, Chris Kane and Lajbi like this.
  13. MonsieurMarty

MonsieurMarty n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi fellow ADV riders!

I just joined the Honda NX 650 owners club :D.

I was looking for one in perfect condition, OEM parts only.
    3 months later , I found the graal, 600 km away from me.

On the right this is my "new old" bike, 1993, perfect condition, with 30.000km on the odo.
    On the left, a scrambler modification from one of my friend. He will eventually revert it back to original.

[​IMG]

We couldn't resist and went Offroad few hours after buying my bike.
    Spoiler alert : we suck...

[​IMG]

I didn't drop mine (yet). I will buy some crash bars and panniers, and the next step will be TET in France and Italy with 2 of my friends (but before, some trainings are required I suppose :p).

[​IMG]

Lovely machine, really light weight with an effective engine.
    I did 250km on the road yesterday, single cylinder in the twisties was a new sensation for me ahaha.
  14. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    ^ that's a nice find there!

I'm new to the nx650... Here's the spare parts that came along with my purchase...

IMG_6230.JPG

IMG_6231.JPG

IMG_6232.JPG

IMG_6236.JPG

IMG_6238.JPG

Of course, it's just an early USA model. But it is unmolested. Looks and runs like new!

IMG_0566[10377].jpg
  15. rexelstar

rexelstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A year and a half later, for my understanding quite quickly, the NX650 is ready to hit the road again.

Some struggles because of no oil supply to the cylinder head. It turned out after a year and a half that the oil pump has slowly lost all oil. Perhaps because I drain all the oil when disassembling from the frame.

Fortunately, after disassembly and manual filling, this was resolved immediately ...: roll: the air bubble in the pump ..

---------------------------------------
    What remains are the NOS Prolink stickers that are there, but are waiting for warmer weather. Also a right mirror XRV Transalp version, given that the standard mirrors do not really look neat and sound.
    I am also considering an Ermax 15 cm higher transparent windshield, this is the only aftermarket that fits on / in the three original mounting screw holes.

The passenger footrest holders have been adjusted / rebuilt to personal taste as I will not be driving with passengers (for now)
    I'll be looking for some original ones to get coated black in case a passenger ever signs up. It is then a matter of loosening and tightening the two bolts when exchanging.

-----------------------------------
    Today contacted the daughter of the previous, first owner to submit photos. With the appointment to visit the first owner this summer, hopefully 94 years old. And of course recording this on the fixed plate;) IMG_2230.jpg
    heirhead, y2blade, Chris Kane and 2 others like this.
  16. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:

Lovely restoration. What year ? 1990/91 ?
  17. rexelstar

rexelstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

It is the 1990 version. The blue 1991 is identical, only difference is the fairing decal which has a pink/red stripe instead of the middle color blue. Under the word Dominator;)
    Griff2 likes this.
  18. Rally_or_Die

Rally_or_Die n00b

Oddometer:
    My first bike was an nx650, I still have it and love it to death! Up until last month it was solid as a rock, it's now unfortunately developed a no spark situation and has been parked. Only cons I've noticed in the 5 years of owning it is the oil consumption, small fuel tank, and occasional stalling in cold weather. What a great little bike otherwise though.
    Screenshot_20210306-172009_Instagram~2.jpg Screenshot_20210306-170605_Instagram~2.jpg
    Lajbi and Griff2 like this.
  19. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    DSC00708.JPG Just a heads up, I will be listing my NX650 in the flea Market today. This is not my first NX650 and I have also owned 3 NX250's, all great bikes for what they are. This has just over 2,500 miles.
  20. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much? I'm interested.