Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    No I'm not saying that.

The fuel tube is designed in such a way that is has a upper and lower fuel port. They are separated by a section of the fuel tube that has no screen to allow fuel to flow. When the fuel reaches this level no fuel can flow and you then go on reserve. Once the petcock is turned on reserve it opens another portion of the value that allows fuel to flow, in a sense your petcock has a valve within a valve. IF fuel can leak around this fuel tube O ring it allows fuel to "by-pass" the section of the fuel tube and will simply allow fuel to flow to the carburetor all the time.

I found this old image in my photos, look closely at it, you can see a section of the tube that does not have a screen, when fuel reaches this level you should have no fuel flowing if it is working properly and that is when you switch to reserve. All this only works right if the fuel can not leak/flow around this O ring and giving you a false reading and you have a petcock designed to work this way. There are all kinds of Petcocks, this one photoed is from a Transalp and requires a vacuum line to open the valve, you can see the similarity in how the fuel tube mounts, I am merely showing this photo to show the Fuel tube which is identical.

cl 010.jpg
    2manyrides likes this.
  2. Kolb Driver

Kolb Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pulled mine apart today, I drained all the gas I could with the petcock "ON", and then got a quart jar and switched the petcock to "RES" and got only about a pint of gas. Pulled the petcock off the tank and the strainer screen was stuck in the tank opening with the white plastic tube that goes up inside the strainer screen and into the smaller hole of the petcock poking out the bottom of the tank kind of like the one in the picture above. Pulled the white plastic tube out of the strainer, jammed it back into the petcock hole (fits really tight, can't imagine how it ever came out?!?) and put everything back together. We'll see what happens, but I am guessing that now I will have some Reserve fuel.
    mas335, Griff2 and 2manyrides like this.
  3. MonsieurMarty

MonsieurMarty n00b

Oddometer:
    With my buddy, we went with our Dominator in the French Alps, following offroad tracks.
    It was a blast, nobody around, only the sound of silence and a friend to share this moment. Highly recommended.

IMG_20210523_115243-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG_20210523_113218.jpg

This bike is just awesome : It's easy to ride and it's also a lot of fun.
    ROYMACNIC, rexelstar and Griff2 like this.
  4. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Those pics are brill. Please continue to share photos on here of Your trip. I, for one will be delighted to see them.
  5. vidzius

vidzius n00b

Oddometer:
    Got my '90 Dominator engine dying after it warms up, can't start in till it cools down. Anyone ever ran into this problem? Been trying to look around and some people had replaced a lot of parts and found out it's just some small problem after. Can't find mine atm.
  6. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    How are the valve clearances ?
  7. vidzius

vidzius n00b

Oddometer:
    Haven't checked, not sure if I could do it myself, that's why trying to get through the things I could fix myself :)
  8. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I could be wrong but my thinking is that there are overly tight valves and accordingly loss of compression after the motor heats up.

I am wondering also if there is a faulty coil.
  9. afan

afan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Need help. And your thoughts...
    Found 1988 NX650, 13K miles, for $2800. It looks like good/solid condition.
    What do you think about this bike? Is the price ok?

Looking for a bike I can learn some light off-roading but still ride 200-250 miles a day for several days.

Thanks for anything.
  10. afan

afan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is what NADA said

Attached Files:

11. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    See my post on the NC forum.
    afan likes this.
  12. JTS 71 Mach1

JTS 71 Mach1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks fairly solid, but the body work is crappy, aka Frankenstein repairs. It looks almost like black primer for paint, the front fender is wrong. It would have to run better then new. And even then I don't think it's worth $2800.00 I just bought one a month ago looked better and ran ok had to do a little work to the engine. and I didn't give anywhere near $2800.00. My personal thought. if it runs good 15 ish??? But it's what ever the traffic will bare, and not what something is actually worth nowadays. Caveat Emptor. Or let the buyer beware. Just my thoughts.

JTS
  13. afan

afan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree. The price is dictated by the Market. But it's also good to know what's "normal" price ;)

Thanks.
  14. afan

afan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  15. Iddog

Iddog n00b

Oddometer:
    Hoping for a bit of advice re fuel caps for my 1989 NX650.
    I bought a tank - supposedly from a 1989 to replace the 23l Acerbis one.

I bought a lockable cap for the 89 NX but it is too big. See pics. So maybe my tank is actually a later one, with the 'flat' alloy cap?
    I'm a bit stuck as the ads online never show the dimensions so I don't know what to order. Would someone with the later tank be kind enough to measure the opening?

Here's some pics and thanks heaps for any help.
    dommie_fuel_cap2.png dommie_fuel_cap1.png
  16. Kolb Driver

Oddometer:
    Here ye be, matey, this is my 89: P1010640.JPG P1010639.JPG
  17. Iddog

Iddog n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I guess you have the black screw-on type cap like in my photos, not the flat metal type.

Perhaps I need to buy the flat one if it fits the smaller opening in the tank. Maybe someone with a 1992 or later would measure that one for me?

NXfuel_caps2.png

Attached Files:

18. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up, I listed a NEW Tail light lens in the FM for 88-90 models.
  19. Kolb Driver

Oddometer:
    I have this one:

Attached Files:

Iddog likes this.
  20. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    The one shown above matches mine. 1989 usa bike.