Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Johann

Johann Commuterus Tankslapperus

Oddometer:
    Get a manual, follow the procedure slowly and methodically, watch a few youtube vids before you do it to give you an idea of what is involved, totally doable by a DIY mechanic. It would be a good idea if you´ve never done it before to get a mate to double check as you´re doing it, the second time you´ll wonder what the fuss was about.

The Honda factory toolkit has the perfect spanner for the 24mm valve inspection caps, ordering a new set of o-rings for the inspection caps and timing holes might not be a bad idea before you start, they are reusable but if you find any damaged when the caps come off handy to have spares. The only thing to watch for is the decompression system (auto or manual), that opens the front right exhaust valve as you are sitting on the bike , it has to be fully disengaged when you check the clearance on that valve. It will all be in the manual.
  2. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    My NX650, but doesn't run is in Fleamkt.
    $850.00

Thanks

hh
    wwm
  3. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    My first "need" for the NX...
    Yesterday I noticed my left rear turnsignal stalk was busted up a bit. Argh! Who screwed that up? It has enough integrity to hold together with a hose clamp until I can replace it.
    I bought my bike with 8,000 miles because it was like new... ALMOST
    And it has been great! I've done nothing to it yet but put gas in and check the oil.

I knew the signals were vulnerable just by looking at them. I figured that down the road, I'd be changing out to some aftermarket LED's I have become fond of. But looking at things,
    I am not so sure I want to get into that at this time. There's too much junk on these bikes for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I like to ride it at it is out front to jump on as the #1 around town street bike in my fleet. But I am used to simple bikes. That's my thing. Bikes that are easy to wipe down, take apart and to fix myself...

IMG_5959.JPG

My bsa I've been using for 45 years... easy, simple, rare
    And the 1989 nx650 I bought late last year...

IMG_6227.JPG

So like I say, there's too much junk on this bike to take off just to change out a bulb in the dash. Which is what (I think) I'd have to do in order to go to led blinkers. Or maybe I am wrong? You tell me... To do it I'd have to put in an led flasher unit replacing the original and get an led bulb in the indicator in the dash... (PITA) after looking at the book.
    I decided to scrub the whole idea and go with an aftermarket replacement. But they don't match my originals. Nothing I see out there matches the originals I have on my 89.
    Even the parts phish seems to show something more like what I found on ebay. (made by bikemaster?)
    Top that off and some of the sellers are mentioning as if there is a left side and a right side. Some sets on ebay show a shorter stalk for out front than the back is
    Here's what I bought.
    Are these going to work on the back? They are the closest I could find to original.

nx sig 3.jpg

nx signals number 2.jpg

And my originals... Is this what your bike has... Anybody?

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

Some day, when I HAVE TO take a bunch of this stuff apart, I'd like to go with these signals because they can bend. (what all else do I need to do?)... tips anyone?

But like I say, the 1989 NX650 is of low miles, runs great and has been a "turnkey" investment until now. I knew I was buying a rare bike, but I think I did so in an era where there isn't as many aftermarket suppliers as there will be when time goes on. An issue I went through with the 72 BSA..I bought the bsa in 1974 as the british bike industry was in full collapse.
    And even at that time it was a rare bike with 6,600 produced. (most of which went to the US market)

1972 bsa 500 gold star street scrambler

IMG_6394.JPG

1989 honda NX650...

nx front.jpg

All comments on these issues are welcome. Thank you!
    2manyrides
    Bors and scrambler66 like this.
  4. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Looking at the 88 heirhead is trying to sell a few posts back... Might be it is me that does not have oem signals...?
  5. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Well to start with were you told it was all original when you bought it? From what limited images that you show it is obvious it is a very nice example of NX650 but it is not all original. I suggest purchasing a genuine Honda NX650 shop manual, it will help you better understand where all the parts and pieces fit. The turn signals are not original but there are decent replacements that look like the oem lights with minor design exceptions, Bike Master ans K&S both make nice replacements.

Just based on your few images I can tell you that the boots most likely have been replaced, no big deal there. The seat has been recovered, and from the photo angle the engine guard does not look original. Your passenger pegs are missing as are the fork reflectors but I think the bike looks better without them.

There are a lot of pieces to the cowling and yes it can be a pain to work on the bike with all the plastic installed. The plastic mounting tabs and under designed and break easily, expect to find a few that need repair.

Knowing how to properly check the oil level on this dry sump engine will go a longs in not running it dry or over filling it. I have owned several very low mileage bikes and the first thing I do is service it from top to bottom as suggested by the maintenance schedule in the shop manual, it is the only way you really will learn exactly what you bought and what truly needs attention before packing miles on it.

When you pull all the plastic and remove the seat you will have a better idea if what needs real attention, it is a easy bike to work on, keep us updated.

Copy of IMG_0980.JPG
    scrambler66 likes this.
  6. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Ha! look at all those yellow dominators!

I had stated;
    I bought my bike with 8,000 miles because it was like new... ALMOST The P/O stated what he had done to it. He just finished tidying it all up with the boots, tires, seat cover, skid plate, tires, lithium ion batt, ect ect. I've got 800 miles on his fresh oil change so far and it has not used a bit of it. So I was not led astray.
    You've got a good eye for what you saw in the limited views.
    I have the oem shop manual and the oem owner's manual. I've read through a bit on how to take the plastics off. With 8,129 miles when I bought it, and being the 6th owner!!!
    You would think there is a red flag up. But no, it's been good.
    Certainly it has done it's share of sitting unused in the past. The oring on the petcock's reserve is letting fuel pass causing me to have to be careful about running out of gas.
    I was looking at the schematic last night and realized I need a magnifying glass to see that in detail!
    Yes, I can work on it. This is the first bike I've ever had with a fairing on it. So to me, it is elaborate. But I am no stranger to the XR600R so I am in the ballpark as far as the oil goes.
    Yes I have been avoiding going over it top to bottom as I have so much other bike work to do... as well as what life throws at you.

As far as the signals go, I was wondering if what came on it when I got it are original. (pictures of them clear to see in the previous post)
    You look at heirhead's 88 and what's in the parts phish and they are a bit different.
    As well as what you see if you punch in 1989 nx650 rear turn signals on ebay. But I guess it's no big deal, those ones I bought look to be a decent close match.
    (i'm only changing out the rear for now)

The NX650 has some dust on it due to sitting in the garage with the rest of my fleet of hondas. I have yet to wash it. It's not going to have to see dual sport duty.
    I have a bike set up for each type of ride I do and the NX fits right in as my jump on and go around town bike. Along with and surpassing the xs650, the bsa and triumph 500's.

Here's the fleet... I use 600's to get the trails done;

mas335, I appreciate your quick response and this thread as I hope to have the NX for a long time, I'm always looking for more tips and tricks.
    I gotta take some more photos AND video of the NX as when I was looking for examples, I again realized there wasn't much to chose from. But again, you saw just about every variation from oem parts... Kinda just the way I am with 600's. I watch this thread for information and I'll be back with the questions.

I got some extra parts with it... The oem parts you noticed missing.

IMG_6230.JPG

IMG_6231.JPG

IMG_6232.JPG

IMG_6233.JPG

IMG_6236.JPG

IMG_6239.JPG
    scrambler66 likes this.
  7. Mingo13

Mingo13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, Hope you all are doing well!
    Never posted on this thread before. My husband's NX650 is usually the most reliable bike we have. Both his Nixie and TransAlp stopped starting this week. Since we are supposed to be leaving in two weeks for a dual sport adventure to/from en route to our wedding in Tennessee (we live in Arizona) the Nixie was my focus today.

After much online research and bike testing and pulling it off to confirm it's for sure the brushes in the starter. They are completely worn down to the metal rim they sit on. Rebuild kit is on the way here and hopefully this fixes everything!

My question is the starter was full of black gunk and a ton of black oil.. Oil in the starter? Is this normal or if not what does this mean? Bad rear main seal?

Thank you!
  8. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like a bad starter seal. Then the piston blows oil into the starter instead through the engine ventilation into the airbox.

last Friday (the 13th) my Dommie got the official sticker for the next two years - the dreaded TÜV found no reasons for rejecting road approval :D
    Now 175.000kms (108.740 miles) on the clock.

[​IMG]

30 years with the NX650 https://advrider.com/f/threads/scramblers-domi-and-langers-syndrome.766897/
    perlx, Mingo13 and mas335 like this.
  9. JTS 71 Mach1

JTS 71 Mach1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not my cup of Tea as far as an NX goes. But hey to each his own. It will get you down the road. I'm not a purist by any stretch of the imagination. but make changes that make sense, not completely reengineer the damn thing. My Question??? Why not just go out and buy something you like instead of destroying the beauty it was???? Just my thoughts.

JTS
    Griff2 likes this.
  10. ponderingjunkman

ponderingjunkman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I bought heirheads non running NX650! It currently resides with my friend in riverside, but I'm in New York. So at some point I'll fly out and play with the bike, and hopefully experience some fine riding with my friend and his husky 701.

So in preparation for that, what would you all recommend for carb kit, petcock service, etc? I know there's cheap kits on Ebay, but on the day of need, I don't want to be stuck with cheap stuff. Thanks!
  11. JTS 71 Mach1

JTS 71 Mach1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are 2 guy's on hear that may be able to help you. mcma111, Has done a bunch of rebuilds on the XR engines, and will either have, or be able to tell you where to get the parts. And mas335 has said several times he has a bunch of these parts, from several he's had over the years. I believe mcma111 , lives in San Diego, if I'm not mistaken. So he could be a real good source to know where to get stuff in Cali. Hope it helps.

JTS
    ponderingjunkman likes this.
  12. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    You mean san francisco.
    JTS 71 Mach1 likes this.
  13. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recommend OEM parts, e.g. from Partzilla https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1988/nx650-ac/carburetor
    In most cases you have to replace just the seals, the hardware like jets can usually be re-used after a ultra-sonic cleaning.

As for the petcock - officially there are no parts from Honda but TRX petcock gasket and X-ring fit https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1987/trx250r-a-fourtrax-250r/fuel-tank

30 years with the NX650 https://advrider.com/f/threads/scramblers-domi-and-langers-syndrome.766897/
    ponderingjunkman and mas335 like this.
  14. Mingo13

Mingo13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I bought the starter rebuild kit so hopefully that fixes all of the issues!
  15. JTS 71 Mach1

JTS 71 Mach1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah San Francisco That's what I meant. Sorry!

JTS
  16. Iddog

Iddog n00b

Oddometer:
    Quick follow-up to my previous posts re wrong fuel cap on a (supposedly) '89 tank from a breakers in NL.

This is the correct style, note the 5 knurls around it, the other one has 8, that's the easiest way to spot the difference on eBay.
    This one fits the narrower opening, is about 47mm.

NX_fuel_cap.png
  17. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    I just finished making a video of my 2nd impressions after buying an NX650 back in feb 21. Not that the video is some kind of big deal, but seems these things are kind of rare and the one I did on my 1st impressions gets a lot of views... for my channel anyways. It was just two days ago... You know that feeling? Though you have not looked, the car next to you on the freeway seems to be keeping an exact pace with you at your side on the freeway. It happened. I looked over to a thumbs-up as they were admiring mine as I had her out on the pre-ride warm up. This video is the once over, some talk about the bike, bits from the ride I took on Saturday and my impressions after having put about 1,000 miles on it. I'm the 6th owner of this thing and I bought it with 8.129 miles!

The video itself is on a channel that is absolutely amazing as well as repelling. The 2manyrides channel link is below... It spans motorcycle videos I've been filming since 1990.
    Working man with a consumer camera.
    Though I am new to the NX650 itself, I specifically made this video becase I had not been doing enough NX vid's lately. Ha, One guy once remarked... "don't quit your day job" as he proceeded to pick my weird brand of movie apart. But i get a laugh out of that. I make these videos for me! The fact that some small percentage out there likes some of them is a plus. I do apprettiate that. And so I'm sharing it here.
    If anybody from the ADVrider site likes it show me a sign.
    Lajbi, Guri, Griff2 and 2 others like this.
  19. sinnersaint

sinnersaint n00b

Oddometer:
    The very last pictures of my Dommie before it was stolen while I was inside restaurant eating. The bike was built for my son to ride. I had just pulled it off the lift and was test riding the bike for the first time. The only thing not finished was the front brake, mirror and right hand guard. What ever drug dealer scum has the bike now really can not understand what the have. I replace so much of the bike to get it ready for the Trans-America Trail trip with my son. We were planning to ride as much of the trail as we could for 3-4 weeks in the summer. It's been gone for two months now.

Attached Files:

20. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    That is a tragic story. How sad!