Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Sorry to read that. Hopefully You will get a better one to replace it.
  2. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    No sign of and NX/Dominator activity. Owners must all be out on their CRF300L's :hmmmmm
  3. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Not that many remaining in original condition now, lots have been chopped up for scrambler or tracker conversions. Plus it’s winter now in the NH and most classic owners don’t use them during winter for obvious reasons.
    JTS 71 Mach1 likes this.
  4. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Bounder is right, lots of NX650's here in the US have been butchered up . I never see one when I am on the road. Keep in mind not that many where ever sold here.
  5. Citronodlaren

Citronodlaren Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am active! What I like about it is that is decent on tarmac, like riding an old fashion thumper and you have to be active as the power band is quite narrow, 3000 to 6000 rpm. It is good for green laning as well. There is things you can improve according to taste and no electronics to fight with. Very versitile. Mine is a 1999 with 22000 km (13750miles) on the clock. Like new. Drive whenever I can as long there is no ice and frost on the roads. IMG_0004.JPG
    mitsosvl and cobrin like this.
  6. JTS 71 Mach1

JTS 71 Mach1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm still here, Mine is as close to original as a 30 plus year old bike can be. I'm still chasing noise in the top end, I have replaced the timing chain and gears (helped) and I believe the noise is in the decompression release mechanism, so I need to eliminate it, or go to a stage 1 Hot Cam. To cure the problem. Then I'll start riding the sh1t out of it. LOL!

JTS DSCN2839.JPG
    cobrin and mitsosvl like this.
  7. haycait

haycait Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a top end rattle in one of mine. very low mile bike. thought the same thing. compression release mech. I did a very careful valve adjust strictly following the procedure. I'd have to re-read it but as I recall on one of the exhaust valves you rotate the engine until you hear the compression release click, then set clearance. mine's now quiet as a mouse.
  8. ponderingjunkman

ponderingjunkman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not messing with the bike, but I'm on page 225 of this thread!
  9. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Yep I'm one of those. Over Winter I get mine out for a spin if there is a dry day after some heavy rain which will have washed salt off the roads. Otherwise it stays put.
  10. Iddog

Iddog n00b

Oddometer:
    I just spent the winter (Australia) rescuing my 89 Dommie from the pile of rust and faded plastic it had become.
    I wanted to lighten it a bit and get rid of the 23l Acerbis tank which took me through the outback way back when (see thumbnail).
    So, yea it has more of a retro/scrambler look which I know is not popular here with everyone. I didn't cut the frame and have kept the original parts so it could theoretically be returned to stock if required.

Having said that, I'm very happy with the result as I did all the work myself. I made it specifically to be ridden on the gravel & sandy roads around here and it's already proven itself.

dommie_before.png

dommie_after.png

dommie_dirt_road.jpg
    Griff2 and cobrin like this.
  11. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    DSC00036.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

DSC00046.JPG

DSC00049.JPG

There's mine. 9,000 miles on it now. Does not see dirt. But I have not ridden it in a week because of these others...

IMG_5763 2160.jpg
    1972 bsa street scrambler

IMG_3886.JPG
    1977 yamaha xs650d

1cropIMG_6280.jpg
    1991 xr600r

IMG_5320.JPG
    1992 xr600r

Attached Files:

SCTrailrider, Griff2 and cobrin like this.
  12. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    I reached my limit of photos on the last post... This is the reason why I've not ridden the nx650 in a week... continued

IMG_5828 worked for thb.jpg
    1995 xr600r

IMG_7111.JPG
    1999 xr600r

IMG_1009.jpg
    2000 xr600r #2

IMG_1042.jpg
    2000 xr600r #3

It's mostly the XR's that keep me off the NX, but it's my go to street bike over the xs650 for rides under 100 miles. Long hauls, I take the yamaha. Sundays... I ride the BSA to church. Dirt opportunities... Depends where we are going which bike I ride. I just did the winter seasonal wheel and gear change out yesterday on the 1995 red XR so it has more chances to be active here in the winter where I live. It now does 75 mph instead of the 45 mph it was geared for in the summer. The 1995 xr600r is a BITCHEN bike and runs REALLY good. Just got off the road having ridden it less than an hour ago. Now the winter wheels and gears are on it and the summer wheels are in the tire rack. Can you say bitchen? I knew you could!

IMG_6205.JPG
    Griff2 and cobrin like this.
  13. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    I have had some "posting trouble" trying to edit one of the photos. So I post again with the missing link from my post...

IMG_1390.JPG
    1974 Triumph tr5mx avenger

Attached Files:

14. transalper

transalper Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My nx650 with acerbis tank and upgraded susoension is in the hands of a good friend who bought it from me. He has put on very few miles since he bought it years ago. I think i am gonna try and buy it back.
    JTS 71 Mach1 and Griff2 like this.
  15. JTS 71 Mach1

JTS 71 Mach1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like mine just the way Honda made it, back in 1988. Other then adding a slightly taller windscreen, and some engine mods She' gonna retain the original essence of what she is. The only thing I haven't been able to find is the paint. I've done quite a bit of searching, to no avail. It's called Astro Blue Metallic, and it seems to be unavailable. Anyone know where you can get some???

JTS
    Griff2 and mas335 like this.
  16. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    You just go down to the paint shop and have them mix it up...
    The guy I bought mine from had done that and gave me touch up in the care package that came with the bike.

Hot off the presses, be the first on your block to see the latest video. But don't get too psyched ahead of time. This is just riding. Just riding an NX650.

17. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I think perhaps the elevation could be corrected :-)
  18. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I couldn’t find Astro blue when I repainted mine 20 years ago. I ended up using Ford mallard green instead and think it looks as good or better than Astro blue.
  19. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Griff, this is very true. Found near the end of production and in the live raw footage, I was not going to go back and try to alter that. The goal was to create videos with out all the hoopila of text, narration, over dubs and cuts. I want to run raw footage for those who like that.

So with a heavy heart, I left in the 18,000 foot elevation statement. Kind of funny! That would be a hell of a cruise down the mountain!
    I stand corrected...
    1,800 foot elevation
    Griff2 likes this.
  20. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    The good bit is that I know a lot more about Rough and Ready :-)
    2manyrides likes this.