any ideas for improving crappy headlight of new v-strom 650?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BronNowo, Aug 13, 2019.

1. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished longer trip fully loaded with pillion on my new 650xt v-strom and I was shocked how bad the headlamp was. Part of the ride was in mountains at night and it was pretty scary with stock lamp, not to mention it was not even set up properly from factory because it illuminated top of the pine trees instead of the road blinding oncoming traffic. So either I change the lamp completely of do LED conversion or/and install auxiliary halogen lights.
  2. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    “Fully loaded with pillion”

Did you dial up your preload on the rear shock to level out the rear sag from the load? If no, may have contributed to your headlight pointing up so high? Frankly i’m Surprised a new bike like yours isn’t already equipped with an led headlight.
    9Realms likes this.
  3. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    yes, preload is cranked all the way to hard and tyre pressure 33/42psi as per book. Bike illuminates poorly even when riding alone and no luggage.
    I never had this issues on any other bike I owned regardless of load or sag settings. Looks to me like poorly designed head lamp.
  4. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it came from a dealer, they obviously did a shit job of the pre inspection before you collected the bike. There must be headlight adjustment screws to get it in the proper alignment.
  5. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Change the bulb to LED and add Aux lights.......you can't have too much light. Riding at night sucks and I know that sometimes it is unavoidable. Aux lights pointed towards the shoulders will help you spot the jumpers ahead of time.
    Tri1 likes this.
  6. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    Get an old Vstrom with dual lights. It will save you some money also.
    Bultaco206, LexLeroy and Maggot12 like this.
  7. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    yeah, I have to do it. Wonder though if LED conversion kits work well with that lamp. anybody did it here?
  9. EddieFL

EddieFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not that year but I put LEDs in my 2015. A well designed LED will put the emitters in the same location as the filaments in a halogen lamp. Do a search on stromtrooper.com for recommendations. I’m using Evitek LEDs (H4) and they work well. Your bike uses two different lamps IIRC. With LEDs, you pretty much get what you pay for.
  10. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you re-aim the headlight? Forgive my ignorance, just unfamiliar with the newer style.
  11. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
  12. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    that's what I have to to first anyway, as I checked yesterday beam on the garage wall it's completely off, way too high. No wonder I dazzle drivers.
  13. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, find one of the good LED's with the emitters in the right place and they are fine. They will still need adjusting.
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I've owned 3 different stroms of different generations, the latest a 2015. Had several bikes in between them all. I thought the Vstroms had the best lighting of all of them. For some of those years there was a nightly commute.
  15. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
  16. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    completely agree, my other bikes e.g. nc50x had regular H5 bulb and excellent headlamp. No auxiliary needed.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer: