Any ideas?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by wandrob, Oct 12, 2019 at 7:33 AM.

1. wandrob

wandrob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've cleaned this off once and it's back. It's not obvious where its' coming from. Anyone seen this before? It's an 04 1150 GS. A little over 110K. 1150GS.jpg
  2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd inspect the airbox for a tiny puddle of oil. That's because the strain looks too dark to be fuel, at least to me.
    SmittyBlackstone and rg sw wa. like this.
  3. wandrob

wandrob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if that small circle/grill can be pried out, or does the entire box have to be removed? I've got the Clymer manual but it doesn't really go into detail on this area. I shined a light inside, looks like there is some oil inside. Airbox.jpg
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  4. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does it matter if the bike is on the center or side stand ? If you put a mirror on the spot and look up what do you see ? Bike parked inside or outside ?
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The seal between the box & the tube should be air tight. If oil residue or moisture is leaking from there, check the clamp. First, pull the tube between the airbox and the throttle body & inspect. You may just need to clean it up and reassemble.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
  7. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend bought an ‘05 GS that had a gasoline stain on the right side from a fuel fitting or hose that eventually failed. That was nearly 10 years ago. It was not an uncommon problem and there was information about it here on AdvRider.

Resulted in sizable yellowish stain.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  8. slipperyeel

slipperyeel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  9. wandrob

wandrob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had the motorcycle since 2004 and had no idea that drain plug was there and I didn't expect anything to drain out when I removed it. Have to break out the cat litter now. Drain plug.jpg
    JimVonBaden and rg sw wa. like this.
  10. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    Oil level should be at midpoint of sight glass, measured after sitting for 20+ min. on center stand. I simply check it in the a.m., before riding.

1-3 mm +/- won't hurt anything. Overfilling risks pushing oil into the airbox via the crank case breather tube.

Try not to overfill the engine oil.
    ultane and rg sw wa. like this.
  11. wandrob

wandrob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. wandrob

wandrob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I've owned it, I've been filling it up to the top of the sight glass, but from this point I'll go with the center. It's not going to be that much difference, but if it will stop this from happening that will be good.
  13. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    Your bike's sight glass should have a white or perhaps red (more likely the former) circle printed on it.

12 o'clock on the circle is the max fill point.

6 o'clock is the minimum point.

Halfway in between is just right.

See p. 31 of the Owners Manual to confirm.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I've run a dozen 1100/1150/1200 filled to red circle top for 19 years..never had a problem.
    ultane likes this.
  15. slipperyeel

slipperyeel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many moons ago I bought a brand new Africa Twin 750 (from Mocheck in Clapham, London - for those that remember it).

Well, I took the bike in for its first service. Picked it up and the ride home was a bit suspect, bike was coughing. So next morning I called them. They said bring it in. On my ride down to them, whilst going around a roundabout (I was leaning over as I went around), the bike coughed and cut out! Somehow I didn't drop it.

On getting to the store, I parked outside. Called one of the staff. He is looking over the engine when I spot oil leaking from above the engine. He eventually opens up the air box and half a litre if oil pours out!!! The twats in the workshop had totally over filled it!
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Time alone will cause some oil bist to migrate to the airbox during high speed runs. It doesn't have to be overfilled to do it. Overfilling will just do it MUCH faster.