1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Any inmates live near Laem Chabang?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by gavo, Oct 13, 2015.

1. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    I will be shipping a bike into Laem Chabang, Thailand in November and am looking to meet a local rider who can help with information on a truck or trailer to pick up the crate and perhaps storage of the empty crate ( which does colapse )for around 3.5 months.:D
  2. CraigBKK

CraigBKK I ride to both find and forget myself...

Oddometer:
    Lots of expats living close by in Pattaya who use the Thaivisa site, you may want to post there.

http://www.thaivisa.com
  3. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll give it a try
  4. Farang Paul

Farang Paul A Late Convert

Oddometer:
    Did you read up on the costs and difficulties of shipping a bike to Thailand? The cost usually exceeds the value of the bike and the time and effort required to plough through the maze of paperwork only to have your bike held by customs for an indefinite period is a PITA. I have a friend who shipped his bike here and then shipped it back home again before it cleared customs because of the cost and difficulty of getting it through.

Hope you have done your homework - a quick search through Thai Visa will let you know some of the horror stories.

Good luck!
  5. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    I plan to go through a customs agent and from what I've been told by the shipping agent here between Malaysia and Thailand Thailand is the easiest.
    Did your friend have a Carnet for the bike?
  6. Farang Paul

Farang Paul A Late Convert

Oddometer:
    Yes he had a Carnet, shipping from from Indonesia. They questioned his paperwork, delayed and delayed implying that for a "contribution" they could speed up the process. In the end rather than miss his holiday he rented. Crossing land borders with a Carnet is mostly straight-forward it is when the customs agents at ports smell an earner that life gets more difficult!

If your paperwork is sound and the local customs agent (not the one in Aus but the the one they contract with here) is good; then you should be ok. Just advising you to stay on the case and be prepared to sit around offices without losing your cool with them; as that is a complete no no in Thailand. My friend lost his cool with them and tried to apply Western logic to a Thai situation, then a stand-off developed.

What make of bike is it? If there is a dealer in Bangkok they may help you with transport and storage - most are helpful if asked nicely. Good luck and ride safe!
  7. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    It's a Suzuki Dr 650 and according to google there's a large motorcycle shop not far from the port called Sriracha auto house I thought I might try them.