Any inmates planning to go to Strugis this year?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Snowbird, Aug 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Sturgis starts in a few days; has NOT been canceled. Here's an interesting take on that:

"Great Touring Bike Deals Coming To An Estate Sale Near You, Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Hopes To Welcome 250,000

The town of Sturgis, South Dakota is about to swell its capacity for a week starting this Friday. Despite the global coronavirus pandemic which has killed nearly 700,000 people worldwide as of this writing, the famed Sturgis Motorcycle Rally will go on as planned. The town’s population of around 7,000 will swell by an expected 250,000 bikers this week. The steady stream of thumping V-twins has already started, and it will continue unabated until August 16th.

With an estimated quarter million participants, the 80th Sturgis promises to be certainly among the largest public event held since the pandemic began, if not the largest."

On an irresponsibility scale of 1 to 10, this is a perfect 10.
    Bar None, TC1166, Desce and 2 others like this.
  2. MongoLikeCandy

MongoLikeCandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    .....uhhhh....."No".
  3. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's be real though, riding motorcycles starts at around 7.
    AZbiker and SenorCollin like this.
  4. flexiflyer

flexiflyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    FREE-DUMB!!

(I'm not gonna go though; there were enough saggy tits and viruses in past years.)
  6. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah... I went a few years ago for the Sturgis Mustang Rally. I was talking with some locals about riding there for the bike rally. When I rattled off the non-Harley, non-cruiser types of bikes I had at the time, the locals said "Well... you could come, but you might get a little hassled."

That would be too many miles to ride to get a little hassled.

We have our own little "mini Sturgis" in OC, called Born Free. Usually it's in June, but got pushed back to late September. Same scene, but it's ten minutes from my house. I can get my fill of that scene, listen to whatever AC/DC cover band they have playing, stare at the Harley Livewire that people are pushing out of the way to get to the "cool" bikes, grab a sandwich, a beer and a t-shirt, and go home.
  7. GMCNC100

GMCNC100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Sturgis City Council said “The city will provide personal protective equipment to businesses that will be working during the rally, Ainslie said, and recommend sanitizing stations and 50% capacity at bars and restaurants.
    But none of that is legally enforceable, he said.
    "But we are requiring them to post that recommended capacity limitation so that people are fully aware when they're going in," he said. "If an individual decides to proceed in, then it's by their choice."

If somebody wants to risk infection and maybe death for themselves, I’m fine with that. It is a personal decision. Problem is, these 200,000 people are going to go back home and infect others. That’s NOT a personal decision.
  8. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    When I caught it, the symptoms came on hard and fast about a week after the time period where I assume I contracted the virus, an outdoor event that I was working as a staff member. I could barely drive my car to the testing center and get back home. I realized I was basically stuck driving myself. There was no way I could call a friend and say "Yeah, I just tested positive for COVID, but I'm too sick to drive home. Can you come and pick me up? Oh, and bring someone with you to drive my infected car home please."

Let alone the risk of infecting others, I cannot imagine someone riding half or maybe most of the way across the country, contracting the virus, and being whacked with the symptoms while riding home on a motorcycle, possibly in the middle of nowhere. That person would be absolutely screwed.
  9. Liko

Liko Noncommittal at best

Oddometer:
  10. motorcyclefanatic

motorcyclefanatic The name says it all

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great time to go and avoid the crazy crowds of most years.

I'd absolutely be there given the free time from work.

I don't subscribe to the outside=covid=death mantra. And I certainly don't go along with anyone telling me how to live my life so they can perceive theirs to be a bit safer.
  11. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    There were more people there for the Mustang rally.
  12. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    I went to Americade last year and checked off motorcycle rally's from my bucket list. No thank you on Sturgis, although I still want to experience the incredible riding nearby- when the rally isn't happening.
    Personally, I think this year's Sturgis Rally is going to be the feature event of the 2020 Darwin Awards.:amazon
    SenorCollin, 250senuf and el Pete like this.
  13. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    I do need to say this... I have made a career for the past 20 years working and coordinating large outdoor events. So, I am in no position whatsoever to judge anyone's decision to go or not go to Sturgis based on the health risk. My company produces events that, right now, present a health risk, and I got sick working at one despite my efforts to stay safe. And, I'll keep doing my job, because I love it. We are taking extraordinary measures on our part to try to keep people safe when they come to one of our events, but we can't control their actions. Ultimately, like Sturgis, people have to decide whether they want to come or not.

I'm not going to Sturgis. It would be days of riding, and it's not really my scene for that much effort. But, I give the event organaizers a lot of respect for hosting the event at all. Coordinating an event like this right now is an absolute nightmare. There are state, county and local regulations that event producers have to deal with that were never a consideration before. To comply with these regulations, the organizers need to spend a ton of money on things like signage, stanchions, barriers, sanitizing products, and added staff and security to police adherence to the rules as best as possible. And, they have to spend this additional money knowing that they will lose a ton of money on limited attendance.

Sturgis is a business, and like any other business right now, they are doing what they can to adapt and survive. The hotels, restaurants and shops in town will make less money. But, they will make more money than they would have if the event were cancelled completely.

Our company has had to move events, limit spectators, hold events with no spectators, and spend tons of additional money to do the best we can to keep people safe. We know we will be deep in the red at the end of the year. But, we will stay in business. We can only hope that we'll be "back to normal" next year, but who can tell?
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always get a kick out of such statements. The only ones saying such things are the "you can't tell me what to do" types.
    Everyone else understands it's ok to go outside, and do things, it just calls for a few precautions, and common sense.
    Avoiding large gatherings of people tops the list common sense precautions, but apparently it's too much to ask of some who must be amused at any cost.
  15. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Along thest lines, wow, just got the email announcement that the SEMA show has just been cancelled for this year. That's a big one.

But, several hundred thousand people at an indoor event over four days... don't really see an option.
  16. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    oh baby.... giphy%20(4).gif
  17. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    oh yeah.....here is comes... giphy%20(4).gif
  18. Liko

Liko Noncommittal at best

Oddometer:
    This is where I struggle with the disconnect. A business loses nothing if their customers wear a mask. Businesses lose when events are cancelled. It's as simple as that. I've done Sturgis enough to know it was great before Nickelback was ever booked there. It is the original Burning Man type of event. Organic, it was cool. Corporate involvement, it went to shit.

But here's where we all lose: on the way to and from South Dakota there were businesses, campgrounds, restaurants, gas stations, hotels and more that are not making money from the event. The ripple effect is daunting to imagine.

SEMA ... another one of many trade shows that are closed. This involves customizers, fabricators, technicians and, let's not forget, models. All without work. SEMA is big but there's 100's more shows off the calenders all over the world.

The list of contractors, electricians, IT staff, and custodial services ... airlines, baggage handlers, mechanics, tire distributors, gate agents ...

But Karen (male and female) can't be told to wear a mask so the whole party gets cancelled and in that cancellation the ripple goes across the pond all the way to babysitters and pool cleaners.
    JohnnyWaffles, ozmoses and Snowbird like this.
  19. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    ... probably how I got sick...
  20. bigwagon

bigwagon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving for Sturgis on Friday and looking forward to what will be a once in a lifetime version of the rally, good, bad or just different. As far as crowds go, if it looks like a ghost town now, it's because the rally hasn't even started yet. It always looks like that in the weeks leading up to the official start on Friday, especially this week when vendors are still setting up and a few stragglers are rolling in early. And to address the overall numbers, there might be a cumulative few hundred thousand people who visit across the entire Black Hills region during the official 10 days of the rally, but in the 8 or 10 times I've been there, I've definitely never been in the middle of a crowd of a quarter million people. If you want to keep to yourself, there is plenty of space out there to do it. Get up early, ride some beautiful roads while it's quiet and cool, maybe hit a couple watering holes for breakfast or lunch, head back to camp in mid-afternoon, and chill. Can't wait.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.