Any inmates planning to go to Strugis this year?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Snowbird, Aug 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Before you go, you should have a serious talk with your family on what would actually be a realistic selling price.
    Jorugburn, tlub, Desce and 3 others like this.
  2. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bigwagon, sounds like you have been there plenty of times under normal circumstances. I would really be interested to hear your take on this year's event once you're back - how did the crowd compare to a normal year, any fewer vendors, etc.
  3. bigwagon

bigwagon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will do. I might even start a ride thread on it, as I am planning to document my ride out this year on a '91 Sportster I bought last fall for $1200. The plan is to tent camp the whole way and do the entire trip for under $2500, including the price of the bike. That pretty much guarantees I will need to stay out of crowded restaurants and bars!
    glasshousebc and JohnnyWaffles like this.
  4. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Goes without saying, stay safe and take every precaution you can.
  5. motorcyclefanatic

motorcyclefanatic The name says it all

Oddometer:
    I'm always amazed by the psychic mind-readers who read hidden meanings into others words.

Never said I didn't take precautions, and I didn't make it to 60 by amusing myself at any cost.

Certainly not looking for your fucking permission or approval for anything I chose to do.
    AZbiker, stravis, jay547 and 3 others like this.
  6. MongoLikeCandy

MongoLikeCandy It Never Gets Easier, You Just Go Faster

Oddometer:
    yes! spank me daddy! giphy%20(4).gif
  7. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    neanderthal likes this.
  8. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    :csm
  9. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    :baby
  10. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Meeting people is both a big part of motorcycling and an inevitable part of it. Riders, wherever they go, need to keep in mind a couple of things. ANYONE can have the virus and show no signs. YOU may have the virus and not know it. There are MANY people you will meet who are one removed from someone who CANNOT fight off the virus because they are immune compromised. These immune compromised people have endured much pain, suffering and expense to remain alive and IF you happen to be the person who passes the virus to someone who then passes it on to them, you have killed them. Lastly, perhaps, is that of all the people you meet in a day whether it is at Home Depot, the grocery store or at Sturgis, if that person is NOT wearing a mask, washing hands, limiting contact with others, then by sheer statistical probability that person you can identify by lack of mask is among the most likely to have the virus, give it to you and you pass it to a vulnerable person. As a final thought, I don't want your stinking touring bike anyway.
    Jorugburn, Khantahr, tlub and 2 others like this.
  11. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    One of my best friends passed away this spring and his one request was to have his ashes sprinkled in the Black Hills. So I saddled up and did my duty. Numbers appear down bigly, social distancing was practiced and there were few sagging breasts observed. Absolutely love the area and history here and plan to return again. BTW, both North AND South Dakota have dealt with this Covid better than most and I appreciate their stances.
    AZbiker likes this.
  12. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    My employer finally wised-up a month ago (I may have also made my feelings known :augie) and I no longer have to be there. :happay

I’ve not been for several years, but I’ve worked enough Sturgises in the past to cringe at the thought of having to go back, pandemic or not. :photog
    Need For Speed and Ginger Beard like this.
  13. Rubber Dutchman

Rubber Dutchman Lurking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No you wouldn't. I went last year on an '09 Versys and experienced zero negative feedback. Bikes are bikes and 99% of people there just want to have a good time.
    AZbiker, Big John Sny and Jarrett2 like this.
  14. Bryan.vfr

Bryan.vfr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well said, Snowbird, well said. :beer
    glasshousebc likes this.
  15. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Avoiding gatherings of people is THE primary precaution around which all other precautions depend on.

Your emotional comments send a clear message.
    Jorugburn, RowBust and Desce like this.
  16. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being a P&D driver I come into contact with around 100 people in 15 to 30 locations a day, my wife is a CNA who works with the most vulnerable group off people. Following the recognized primary precautions is only common sense, and common courtesy.

I know some people are emotional, and easily influenced by talking heads. Those who are fearful and over react are indeed annoying, but they're not really a problem. Its the insecure who under react with their chest thumping bravado who are the problem, by act and attitude they put others at risk, and they just don't care......their actions speak louder than their loud words.
    Jorugburn likes this.
  17. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to Sturgis on a Suzuki Bandit and the only remarks I got were friendly.
    AZbiker, Jarrett2 and Rubber Dutchman like this.
  18. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    I concur, the only way to get "hassled" for riding a non-Harley at Sturgis is if you go there in a time machine back to the 70's.
  19. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    That is very refreshing to hear. I must have been talking to the wrong locals. When I did go, I was a vendor for the Mustang rally, so I had to roll in early, park my trailer and set up before the participants got there. Gave me some free time to check out the area. I got to visit Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and all of the little towns around them. Beautiful country, and I'd love to go back someday. Nice to know that if I do it on two wheels, the vibe is more welcoming than I was led to believe.
  20. choppahead

choppahead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not quite the 70's but my buddy and I rode out in 1982. Him on his Goldwing and me on an XV920 Yamaha. We thought we'd stay a day or even less if we got hassled for riding Japanese. We stayed four days, had an awesome time and made some great friends. Had to highball it home to get back in time for work.
    AZbiker, jay547 and knight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.