Any Kawasaki Versys Riders in Malaysia?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by TonyBKK, Jun 24, 2010.

1. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys!

I'm based in Bangkok Thailand and am thinking about trying to upgrade my ER6n with Versys suspension components.
    [​IMG]

Here's my ER6n:
    [​IMG]

Great fun with the Pirelli MT60 tires but needs more clearance!
    [​IMG]

Seems Malaysia is the closest place where the Versys is sold so I'd like to know how hard it would be to order some parts in Malaysia and have them shipped to Thailand.

Here's what I'm looking for:

The handlebars are identical on the ER6 and Versys, but the Versys has a riser (46012A) to make the bars taller-
    [​IMG]

the frames are nearly identical, with different subframes and a some steering head reinforcements on the Versys frame.

Versys frame:
    [​IMG]

ER6n (EX650) Frame:
    [​IMG]

The good news is that a front fork swap from Versys to ER6n is very easy to do as the bikes share identical steering stems / triple trees:
    [​IMG]

These Versys forks cost over $1500 new in the US! [​IMG] I'm hoping I can find them for less in Malaysia...
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone tell me what these forks go for in Malaysia... Are there any places where I might find used parts?

The other parts I'm looking for are the Versys swingarm and the Versys rear shock.

I'd be most grateful if any kind bikers in Malaysia could point me in the right direction!

Thank you in advance and Happy Trails!

Tony
    [​IMG]
  2. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
    No Versys riders in Malaysia? C'mon guys- don't be shy :evil

Continuing the ER6n ---> Versys conversion.

Here's the Versys rear shock:
    [​IMG]
    It features more travel than the ER6n shock and is adjustable for damping and preload. ER6n rear shock is adjustable for preload only).

The Versys swingarm:
    [​IMG]

Can anyone help me find these parts in Malaysia? (Or perhaps Singapore?) Thanks! :rofl
  3. klpegaso

klpegaso Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. deaninkl

deaninkl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Tony,

I don't think you'll have to much luck here, simply not enough riders here have versys'

You might try to contact Kawasaki Malaysia Directly, http://www.kawasaki.com.my/index.php

but from my experience of Malaysia' motorcycle companies...don't expect to much... for the raisers you may think about after market items, I have them for my R1200GS, I'm sure they mush be out there for the ER N also.

Another way would be to take a trip down to Malaysia, maybe talk to a dealer or visit breakers yards in KL where you may find a crashed Versys.

Sorry not to be much help, but the big bike seen in Malaysia is not well organised.

good luck.
  5. andrewhtf

andrewhtf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi Tony, sorry for the late reply, just saw this thread today.

funny, why would you look to source for Versys parts in Malaysia when in fact, Versys itself is assembled right in the Thai plant? try here:

Kawasaki Motor Enterprise (Thailand) Co.,Ltd.
    119/10 Moo 4 Pluak Daeng
    Rayong, Thailand 21140
    Fax : 6638-955149

There are quite some number of Versys riders in Malaysia but they're not an organised bunch, i would say. Most riders are part of a mixed group so to have dedicated forum of owners is like finding needle in haystack.

try here : http://www.versysmalaysia.proboards.com/

by the way, when you say:

i cant see how it could be similar when the tree on ER6 are holding a conventional fork while versys tree holds an upsidedown fork. i'd be inclined to think that the hole diameter in the versys's tree would be a tad larger than ER6's no?
  6. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
    Cheers Mate,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you are correct that Kawasaki just moved production of the Versys from Japan to their factory here in Rayong, Thailand and rumor has it they'll be selling the bike in Thailand soon, so with that in mind I went 180 degrees and turned the ER6n into a track bike :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    She's a work in progress but off to a good start!

As for the Versys I'm just going to wait and keep my fingers crossed that the Versys will go on sale here in Thailand soon and buy it when it does.

Oh- and regarding the fork swap, the steering stems and top clamps on the ER6n and Versys are identical- same part numbers, so while it's true that the Versys has the sweet upside down forks, the upper fork tubes are still the same diameter as the ER6n fork tubes.

Ride On!

Tony
    [​IMG]
  7. peterockwell

peterockwell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    pm u
  8. Gribbs

Gribbs n00b

Oddometer:

Hi Tony,

Have just come across pictures of the rear of your bike with MT6o'sfitted (looks sweet). Did you ever take you ER6 off road with these? have had my versys just over a year and i have done a bit of off roading but its a bit hair raising with the road tyres on.

Are these any good in the mud.

Also have you had any joy with getting a Versys where you are yet?

Gribbs
  9. Fastoman

Fastoman n00b

Oddometer:
    http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5480

We have a lot of dealers here in Malaysia and there are some active members from MSY in the US forum.
    As far as Versys groups here , there are some but not active in any forum, so best is if you have some contact in the US/UK forum. wealth of knowledge on Versys.

Good Luck-FastO.
  10. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
    All good!

The Versys is now sold here in Thailand so I was able to source the parts I needed to upgrade the swing arm on my ER6n to Versys spec:
    [​IMG]
    Over a kilo of unsprung weight lost and the new boxed aluminum swingarm is for sure torsionally stiffer.

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony