any known issues with Schuberth C4?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by wonderings, Feb 5, 2018.

1. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think I am going to buy a C4 this coming spring to replace my C3 Pro. Had a lot of problems with the com system as well as the helmet. They replaced the whole thing, helmet and com system end of last season. I now have the SRC pro which I guess was supposed to improve things but still glitchy. I am done with sending it back to Schuberth as I have to pay shipping as it is coming from Canada and going to California. Support has been great, but that limitation of no free shipping for warranty work is a real bugger after 5 times. I love the helmet itself though, been the most comfortable I have ever worn so I am willing to give the C4 a try.

What I would like to know before dropping the cash on an expensive lid with a new com system is are there any known issues with this model? I know the C3 had some issues regarding the fit and the pressure on the forehead that was fixed with the C3 Pro. Anything of this sort with the C4? Same goes for their new com system, I love the simplicity of it now, but any known glitch or things it is supposed to do but does not? I have an iPhone 7+.

thanks
  2. ThruTraffic

ThruTraffic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go to Shuberth's FB page and read the complaints from SC1 users. Search Google on 'schuberth reviews'. It will probably be at least Spring before you can even get a DOT version unless you want black, white or fluorescent yellow. I've been watching the C4 saga since first of 2017, I cancelled my order after being put off for nearly a year and after all the horror stories. I've seen a few reviews where people had no problems; not many though. I'm probably just going to try and find a new C3 because mine is worn out. Good luck.
  3. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been put off so much by the negative comments on the current crop of Schubert’s helmets, that my choice is between a system 7 or shoei Netec 2, looks as if the shoei might get it as the comms package is more up to date than the System 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. rod172

rod172 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    C4 /SC1 owner here. No quality issues for me thus far. My only SC1 complaint is the Mediocre FM radio reception compared to my SENA SMH20 setup.
    krug likes this.
  5. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    I purchased a new Schuberth DOT E1 helmet. Had to contact their customer service for warranty issues with a brand new helmet. After 2 months the problem is still in the process of being resolved. In comparison with Arai's customer and warranty service, Schuberth gets a 4 out of 10. Unless things change, I won't be buying from Schuberth again.
    spokester likes this.
  6. Billy52

Billy52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve had an E1 for 7,000 commuting miles and love it. It replaced a C3Pro that I had for 12,000 miles. At first it was tight at the temples. Then I took out the lining, flattened it at the temples and reinstalled it. Problem solved. I lost a peg for the no-fog system. I called and the Schuberth people in Irvine, CA promptly sent me some pegs in the mail for free. (Keep your old shields for the pegs.) The E1 flows more air than the C3Pro. I use the external visor and the internal sun screen every day. I have never used a sound system in a helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used my C4 for almost a year now. The SC1 isn't perfect and its probably the only weakness of the helmet. The C4 is a great helmet and I'd buy one again.
  8. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. Not really concerned about the DOT rating as I live in Canada and ECE is fine here. They ship to Canada and even our small revzilla like online store carries them in stock in all colours (www.fortnine.com).

Was trying to figure out if any serious design flaws people are having issues in the helmet itself. Reviews I found are pretty glowing about the helmet.

Size wise, has anyone gone from a C3 Pro to a C4 and if so did you stick with the same size with the C4 as your C3 Pro?

What issue are you having with the SC1 Smoke Eater? My main use will be streaming music from my BMW Nav V with music loaded on the SD card as well as turn by turn voice prompts from the Nav V.
  9. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    there are lots of production issues and flaws with the helmet itself.
    bad QC on the shell
    chin vent falling off
    visor not locking properly
    etc
    If you even talk to a Schuberth rep, they will admit they've been struggling with that helmet.
  10. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a C4 about a month ago and I've worn it for a total of about 2000 miles. The vent on top of the helmet is jammed open and I can't get it to close and the wind noise coming into that helmet is beyond anything I've ever worn in 43 years of riding. Battery life for the com system is good. Oh, and the helmet seems awfully heavy to me. I have no idea what the claimed weight is, but it's a beast. But really, what can you expect for 1700 Canadian dollars?

Oh wait, I have an update. I rode through about 10 miles of dusty road construction and now I can't get the sun visor to move up or down. It's jammed.

I can't think of anyone that I hate enough to give it to.
    nagold252 likes this.
  11. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is A Sena thread going on here at the same time. There were some pretty negative comments about the C-4 and the Sena comm set-up. If you are only interested in the helmet and not the comm. I think Shuberth makes as good a helmet as anyone, but you better try them on until you get one that fits YOU.
  12. Geordietraveller

Geordietraveller On the road to nowhere...

Oddometer:
    Went from C3 to C4 a year ago (bought from Holland for half the Canadian price before it was even available here). I think I went down a size in the C4.

The helmet itself is pretty good compared to the C3. Better fit for me, better peripheral vision, better venting. Seems to be somewhat less robust than the C3.
    For the love of god - don’t buy the comms system. We struggled for months before literally cutting it out and replacing it with a Packtalk which is so much better in every respect that it’s not funny (and it was cheaper!)

On balance we were drawn to the C4 because of previous good experience with the C3 AND the integrated SC1. If I had to choose one now I’d be taking a close look at the competition esp. the Shoei.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    spokester and Multi-Leoz like this.
  13. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my C3 pro sorted out and all seems to be working now. I reset the SRC and it now works fine, nice and clear, keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully it lasts, if not I might give the BMW system helmet a try as I do like a modular helmet and do like integrated coms/music.

I was going to order from EU but after talking to the guy I have dealt with in the past from Schuberth I decided if I did buy it would be better to buy in N. America. Apparently the EU version is different and if you do not warranty work done it will not be done by Schuberth N. America and will need to be shipped overseas.
  14. Geordietraveller

Geordietraveller On the road to nowhere...

Oddometer:
    You are right about Schuberth NA not supporting European purchases! AMHIK. I’d still rather have the ECE version for safety reasons.
    The design fault in the C4 is having microphones in the forehead rather than in the chin bar and the effect it has on comms.
  15. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, the C4 i bought this month from a US Dealer has a DOT sticker, and is not black, white or fluorescent yellow, so this has clearly changed.

16. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife has ZERO issues hearing me with our comm units. I'm using the C4 / SC1S and she's using her old Shoei with Sena SMH-10, which was the setup I used to have. In fact, she says she can hear me very clear and with no wind noise and that my new helmet/comm setup is definitely an improvement.

The microphone pickup in the forehead and NOT on the chinbar is a very good thing. Her mic pickup is on the chin bar and when there is a cross-wind, that's all I hear...wind blowing across the microphone. She doesn't hear any of that from my C4/SC1S.
  17. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can the built-in speakers in C4 be tapped to provide an external analog input, e.g., via a 3.5mm jack? How difficult operation would it be? Alternatively, is it possible to remove the built-in speakers temporarily without severing any wires, and install another small speaker?

Can C4 owners please look under the lining and advise, or perhaps provide a photo?

Thanks much!
  18. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think its a bit of a job to get the lining pulled away to get to the speakers. The Revzilla review on the C4 tears it down - that might give you an idea if its possible to do what you want. I'd maybe attempt it myself, but my helmet is packed and I leave for a fly-n-ride tomorrow at 0500.
  19. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked at mine. I don't think that's the kind of surgery you'd want to do. It would make a mess of things.
  20. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    getting to the speakers is not that big a deal; a friend of mine was able to put some Velcro under the speakers on his to get the speakers closer to his ears in order to address the low volume problem, and it went back together fine. (we used to have to do this all the time when we were setting up helmets for Autocom systems.)
    i expect i may be doing the same thing here shortly, since the helmet is so damn noisy in the wind compared to my Arai or my Shoei.