1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Any moto related things to do/see in Hiroshima?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by concours, Apr 17, 2017.

1. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    Going on business, may have a day to explore. Any ideas to fuel the internal combustion brain?
  2. OutRecording

OutRecording Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't be of help with moto-related things, but the Peace Park museum is worth your time.
  3. concours

Oddometer:
    For sure, that's on the list. Thanks:beer
  4. Knightwork

Knightwork Have Coffe Cup--Can Travel

Oddometer:
    Take a ride south from Hiroshima along the coastal road about 40 kilometers and you will wind up at Iwakuni. A lot of history is in that area along with the US Marine Corps Air Station. The bridge at Iwakuni is amazing to behold if you are into wooden bridges, there is a castle up on a mountain that overlooks the river valley that Iwakuni sits in. Depending upon time (it has been a long time since I was there) there are usually some interesting festivals taking place within driving distances of Hiroshima and Iwakuni, it makes it worth the time and effort to talk and inquire with some locals about where to go and what to see.

I spent 6.5 years down at Iwakuni MCAS and if I had not been in 2 helo crashes I would have stayed even longer. Riding a motorcycle in Japan was one of the most beautiful and interesting experiences that I have ever had.

I double what was told to you about going to Peace Park---I went in a cocky ass Marine and came out very humbled and shook up to my very core. As I walked out of the building I felt as though I was somewhere else and my body was separated from me, kinda hard to explain. I never will forget that a little elderly Japanese lady saw me and guided me over to the bench in front of the Statue dedicated to the Children of Hiroshima and sat with me until I gained my senses back. The love and care that that woman showed me, even though I was an American, will always be with me in my heart. After that I started taking the time to learn to speak Japanese and looked at the people and Country from a lot different point of view.

Take time to learn and it will always benefit you in the long run.

Later KW
  5. concours

Oddometer:
    Thanks, sounds great. :ricky
  6. OutRecording

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, Iwakuni. I was also stationed there for one year. Kintai bridge, I believe that's the name. And halfway from Hiroshima to Iwakuni is Miyajima island. There's a famous Torri you often see in pictures out in the water.

Yeah, as Knightwork mentioned, the museum humbles you. And don't forget to see the "A-bomb" dome while there. And if it's of interest, not far from there off on a small side street is a sign that basically reads "x amount of meters above this spot, the world's first nuclear bomb exploded over the city." Got a picture f it somewhere.

I remember eating at a noodle shop with my gf there and an old man come up to me apologizing for WWII. Imagine being a young 21 year old kid and having that experience! Has no clue what to say...
  7. concours

Oddometer:
    In Fukuyama today, marched 9.5 miles (not km) around the city. I like it here
  8. OutRecording

Oddometer:
    Met a girl there once for a rendevu...oh what memories. :)
  9. concours

Oddometer:
    Did the Peace Memorial, Fukuyama castle, some more
    OutRecording likes this.