1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Any Mountain Bikers?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Yellow Pig, Sep 21, 2011.

1. _CJ

_CJ Conservative Conservationist

Oddometer:
    This event is part of the Colorado Endurance Series https://coloradoes.wordpress.com/
    All the races are run for the love of the sport, and all the races are free to enter - free of commercial interests.
    It's a race that I always wanted to do back in the day, but never did. I've been trying to get there since it started back up in 2014, but this is the first year I felt my fitness was good enough. I'm also getting to an age that I don't have many years left for this stuff, so kind of a do it while I still can thing too.

2. redrock88

redrock88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh yes! CES. I used to do some of the AES (AZ) stuff in between my xc/tri stuff. Didn't even realize CO had the same, duh, of course it does! CO and AZ...the best riding! A few wear and tear surgeries over the past few years and just getting over torn hamstring and blahblahblah.....the ol' grey mare and all :) But the healing hiatus is what led me to a KTM as I thought a dirtbike would be good "rest"....boy was I wrong...haha. But I love it, and now am back to riding. Not fast but not dead yet either!
    Are you going to do any more of the series?
    _CJ likes this.
  3. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    Montezuma revenge was this past weekend? Brutal! We were in Summit all weekend and the weather was so shitty. Props for pushing through.

And you were on a hardtail? Holy moly you are a glutton for punishment!
    redrock88 likes this.
  4. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hard tail AND solid fork! :loco
    _CJ and redrock88 like this.
  5. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    And cantilever brakes? Holy shit what? It is 2019 man not 1999. Animal!
  6. _CJ

Oddometer:
    Hey, it's got a flex-stem! :lol2

Yeah, part of the reason I got in to motorcycles at a late age is because I figured I needed to learn how to ride them as an easier substitute for mountain biking as I got older. Boy did I have that wrong! Wish I had started riding motos in my 20's. I've had my eye on the Colorado Classic? which is the 75 mile ride from Silverton to Durango. Not sure when or if I can do that. Same with the Ring the Peak. Right here in town, but may be a bit much. What attracted me to Montezuma was the loops, so you can decide if you want to carry on or not.

redrock88 likes this.
  7. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
    Go for the biggest tire that you can fit in your frame and fork, & burley tires. Is you're gage accurate? Every floor pump I've had, had a really inaccurate gage.
  8. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about the Iron Horse Classic, 50 miles from Durango to Silverton? I did it a few times, it was great! The entry fee was fairly steep, but they shut down traffic from Purg to Silvertont so it is a very unique and amazing experience. Each time I rode a parts bin bike I built for less than the cost of the entry fee.
    redrock88 likes this.
  9. _CJ

Oddometer:
    No, it's the Colorado Trail Classic. https://coloradoes.wordpress.com/swes-event-list/colorado-trail-classic/
    As with the other COES events, it's free, and totally self supported. Unfortunately, it's this weekend, so not happening this year for me.
  10. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
  11. _CJ

Oddometer:
    So now you can join in on the fun! Free beer at the finish.
  12. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    I just want to hang back and enjoy it, so I'm going to take a day and a half to do it. Plus, I don't really like mountain biking with other people.
    _CJ likes this.
  13. _mtg_

_mtg_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you get much more precise with tire pressure, the amount of flats will decrease, and you may even be able to use lighter tires.

Most flats I’ve seen in CO are from bottoming out the tire on the rim, and then the tire gets sliced. Preventing tire/rim bottom out is huge for flat prevention, which precise tire pressure is the #1 thing to do. #2 is CushCore if you’re a more aggressive rider.
  14. _mtg_

_mtg_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those races are legit! I did the Monarch Mind Bender a couple years ago. Holy shit it takes some training, and I agree, they are run simply for the love of the sport.
    _CJ likes this.
  15. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    I don't like precision. I like to just ride my bike/moto aggressively and without worry. Appreciate the advise though. I can tell immediately when something is off. A few psi up or down doesn't matter unless you are a fat bike rider. I run my suspension and tires harder than a normal lad. You'll see the same from most shredders. Some pros are number geeks (minaar) and some are just hammers (Peaty). It's all good.

(Note: I've been working with Schwalbe since they showed up in the US. I might know a bit about tires)
  16. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    So I went ahead and did the ride from Molas Pass to Durango on the CT and had a lot of fun. I was dropped off yesterday evening at Molas and had a chance to ride in about 10 miles and set up camp. Did the rest of the 70 miles today. 13k up, 16k down, 13 hours total riding time.
    IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG
  17. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok well now I guess I need a recommendation for a better hub after stripping the rear hub out this morning. Bike has 3 prowl DT Swiss hub,. What should I run that will not break and is not too much $$$.

Thanks
  18. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    I do stans wheels. $700 retail but you can find for cheaper. Maybe a better option for you is Hope hubs and Stans wheels. Not sure on pricing but cheap if you look on the web.

I learned the hard way killing a hub. Now I do yearly lube on all my wheels. The road wheels maybe every two years. Dtswiss has it's own lube. Other brands I use Dumonde lube.
  19. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks

What do I lube to avoid a future failure? It was the inner geared ring inside the hub. It stripped the threads inside the hub.

I guess DT Swiss is local in GJ. The bike shop is taking it by on Monday. They said there is a chance they may warranty it. Fingers crossed.
  20. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    Yeah dtswiss is local. I killed that ring as well in Fruita back in the day. Long hike back to the trailhead. Getting that internal ring out was a bitch.

Yeah the hub internals get dtswiss lube. Not a lot so it can dry out quickly in the desert. No tools needed on dtswiss. Another reason I love their dt240 hubs.