Any one got info on Quebec TSD?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Mr.Grumpy, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Mr.Grumpy

Mr.Grumpy Banned

Oddometer:
    Any one know any thing about the QUebec 200 KM TSD rally, other than the generic web-site dribble? Are there going to be "real" riders there (IE: A and B ECEA/NETR enduro riders, "real" rally riders, etc) or is this a recreational thing? Should I try to "Endurro" this year for training? It sounds like a more relaxed and easy going time than a typical Eastern ENduro, BUT, i certainly don't know that for sure....

ken
  2. DJMARLEY

DJMARLEY Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Ken, I'll be there and I'm a NETRA member/rider and I've ridden in the Baja 1000 so does that qualify me as a "real rider"?

There is no question in my mind this will be the REAL DEAL.

It's being put on by Flanny (while I've never met/riden with) he has the respect of every ADVRider on this site so I'm sure it's going to be a first class professionally run event regardless of this being the first year. Just to have something like this on the east coast is a treat for us.

And by the way..a rally such as this is a whole different program than a NETRA enduro event. If you look he even has factored in a Raid class specifically for those that want more of a "recreation" class.
  3. Mr.Grumpy

Mr.Grumpy Banned

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's the kind of "real rider" that I had in mind.

I think that the Raid class is what I'm looking for. I though that it was, but didn't quite understand by reading the TDS web site. All the sections were described in sucha way that they sounded "easy" but then all the other info described a "real" rally so I wasn't sure.....

Thanks,

Ken
  4. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Thanks for your interests guys.

Let me try to shed some light on all of this. Of course it is very difficult to respond to what is or isn't "real", but I'll try to explain where the event is coming from.

First thing, right off the top is that this is not an outright "race" or a full-on competition in the hard-core compeditive, all out speeding sense. Navigational rallying is not about the fastest rider, it is about the rider who is best able to navigate on time in the face of adversity such as break-downs, getting lost etc. To keep the rally street legal, the average speed requested by the Rally Master (me) must never be more than 10% less than the posted limit. So in many places, the trick will actually be to pace yourself not to arrive early. If you get a speeding ticket on the course, you'll be disqualified.

There will be no "closed-course" sections, so there will not be any "break-neck" riding. Will it still be difficult to arrive at your control on time? You bet!

Will the timekeeping part of the rally be real? For sure. There will be check-points throughout the course just like in an enduro, and you'll be timed to the minute, and at some checkpoints, down to the second. Riders will leave on their minute, and be expected to stay on it. So, for anyone who is into timekeeping, the event will defintely be "Real".

Will it be sometimes hardcore? Sure. Some of the days will be very long...100K transitions to the start and back, and 300K of timekeeping/navigation in logging roads and stuff... So will your fatigue be real? For sure.

Everyone will be supplied with their road-book and GPS waypoints at the riders meeting the night before the next day's stage. You'll have no other way to know where your starting point is, and where the actual route is other than to follow your road-book. So, the navigation will also be real. Navigating 2000kms is Quebec's back-country is definitely Real!

So..All of those elements will be the real deal, and the points collected (or avoided rather) will result in real prizes.

The way that I am trying to position this event is to give adventure riders the opportunity to take their game to the next level in a fun, and fully supported/safe environement. How? By givin people the opportunity to Navigate unknown terrain by Road-Book and GPS only in true rally style, and for those that really want to try something new, by introducing the concept of timekeeping.

I'm not interested in having this be an ultra-compeditive event where people are talkin' smack, and bad mouthing the competion and being focused only on winning. What I'm after is a true sportsmans/gentlemans event where everyone has a great time, and where people will not be so focused on winning that they won't help out fellow riders and such.

So...that's the plan.

I can assure you that it will be very welll run, and truly an event to remember.

As for the difference between the Rally and the Rally-Raid, well, the Rally is Timekeeping, and Rally-Raid is non-timekeeping. Rally-Raiders will simply be navigating the route, and since they are not out to collect poitns, they'll be given the option of short cuts to get back to the hotel if they feel like heading back.

You can feel free to call me anytime to get more information about the "spirit" of the event. 819-827-6498.

As for who will be riding it? We'll we've got all kinds of folks from veteran enduro experts, to experienced TSD riders to recreations folks who just want to try this all out...

At the end of the day, the whole experience will be a blast, and the memories will defintely be "Real"

Cheers!
    :thumb
  5. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Hi everyone, just a quick note to let you know that I have now officially opened the registration for the TSD 2000 Rally!!! (Ok…A little late..but what can I say, I have a 6 monht old to care for!) All of the registration forms and information is now available on the web site.

www.motorally.ca

There are only 50 spaces available for the 5-day rally, 20 for the weekend Rally-raid and 25 for the newly announced Rally School.

So…the big question is…Who will carry the number 1, 2 and 3 plates for the inaugural even?

Just as an added little bonus, the first 10 deposits received get a fancy new “Motorally.ca” ball cap. :thumb