any Ontario riders out there on KTM 950/990

Discussion in 'Canada' started by adiablolex, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Just blew some money on some bling for the bike :evil

Carbon fork guards
    Carbon tank guards
    Carbon swing arm protectors
    [​IMG]

Bought some 3m carbon wrap for the entire bike. The bulk will be done in white with a black strip down the middle of windsheild/glove box, etc

LINK

[​IMG]

New chain guard, beerings for wheels and steering, all the missing, bent and broken nuts and bolts

New chain and sprockets, went 16/45 and seems to have a bit more low end torque

Waiting on an aussy fellow to finish the rear aux tanks (meoni replicas:evil )
    LINK

Ordered a new damper from LINK

Saving up for some new rims from Woodies (thinking orange sun rims, a bit narrower than stock).

Just installed the new FP racing levers (yes orange of course). Clutch is great, super smooth and makes a difference. Brake doesn't seem to me to make much of a difference.

The bike has been beatin and put away wet for the last two summers and was looking and acting neglected.....time to give it the love :pynd
  2. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    carbon fiber+ADV=sex on wheels :evil

can't wait to see it man
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Well.... a status update and a couple of questions.

Carbon fork guards thrown on and aux fork lights and brackets removed (never used them and didn't like the look of them). Looks good :)

3m vinyl wrap came in. The black looks bang on :). Sadly I only bought a bit of it. The white just looks cheesy so I have decided not to use it. Maybe I can return it or fleabay it, we'll see. Anyone ever tried to do a wrap before? I'm dumbfounded on how to do it on curved surfaces. Ouside curves are no worries as the vinyl stretches. Inside curves have become my nemisis this weekend. For the life of me I cannot get it to go on without a crease where there ends up being too much material. Watched the how to video, read the instructions, fairly certain it's an "art" or I'm missing something. After many hours and many attempts I have given up :( I am going to get the glove box cover and mount done by a pro this week and hopefully see how they do it and what I am missing. Maybe they cut triangles out where they know there will be excess material. That's the only thing I can come up with but the how to's show a helmet done in one piece...,baffelliing.

Applied the black carbon nylon to the speedo and rpm gauge, looks good. Sad to see the orange go but hey.

Bought some krylon orange. I'm colorblind but to me it looks like a pretty good match to ktm orange. Painted front grill and debating doing part of the rear plastics. My giant loop messed up the white paint job so.....change is good ;)

Still waiting on carbon tank guards and carbon swing arm guards.

New wheel bearing going in later today. Bought the steering head bearings but after reading what's involved I will have to wait until the seasons over. Anyone done these? Was it as much of a pita as it looks like I will be?

Ordered new windsheild (carbon of course).

Bike is disassembled and exhaust is off to a welder this week where it cracked clean threw behind the rear cyclinder. Think I found a guy with a tig welder that does stainless (who the hell called it stainless, mine is permanently brown).

Quesion. My rad fan stopped working a few weeks back. Replaced fuse....nope. Took fan apart today and it seems to spin and wires, etc look intact. Is there a sensor or something that tells it to turn on that could have blown? Bike overheats and boils over (maybe 8 times in the last few rides) when I'm in first or second. I just keep adding fluid, should I be burping the system or is just keeping it topped up sufficient?

I have a few other questions (remember I'm learning as I go so forgive me if the questions seem stupid) but I'll wait until I figure out these ones first ;)

This Saturday is the Boogie in Calabogie so hoping to get things back together before then. Then a nice 3-5 trip the weekend after. It will be real nice to have the exhaust working again and to fix the overheating issues.

Thanks in advance, look forward to your comments or suggestions.

Vroom vroom!
  4. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    slow and steady progress

speedo and tach

[​IMG]

Not perfect, will fix tonight (a couple of edges not quite straight and tach's needle needs to be painted orange for a contrast so you can see it better)

[​IMG]

Anyone know what this plug is for ? Others say they have it on their bikes as well and it's not connected to anything. Anyone?

[​IMG]
  5. Motoaxe

Motoaxe Doctor of Misfortune

Oddometer:
    Thats the connector for the bmw final drive failure counter..... My burned out after only one year (spun the bearings right out of it) and I had the radius set to the lowest setting of only 10 miles....:rofl :rofl :deal
  6. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    :rofl

7. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    that's for your SAS or EPC :scratch either way your emission stuff is out and not needed.
    There's a coolant sensor on the front cylinder head if I remember corrrectly, that's the one that grounds the fan to turn on. You should be able to make it out from a wiring schematic.
    If you don't gots PM me for a copy :evil
  8. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    pm sent :freaky
  9. Kendric younger

Kendric younger n00b

Oddometer:
    Can some one please tell me where to buy a head2wind jet kit and a prefilter please. I live in NewZealand . Thanks Kendric
  10. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    www.advmachines.com
  11. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Time for a Team Orange bump.

Oh yeah, KTM's suck :evil

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/21325422?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/21325422">Desert Flow</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user6364154">Four Nine Films</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

DW
  12. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    How about a 9x0 owner's meet up at a bar somewhere downtown? I don't know any KTM owners in this city, Toronto that is.

:freaky
  13. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    Oh there's a few lurking around, but most are in the burbs.

Can't roost asphalt :lol3
  14. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    r u saying they wont come down for free beer and orange shit talk?
    :beer
  15. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    Who's goin to the EOAR next month
  16. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    scuz the intrusion into the thread

I AM :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

but I ride a pyg.

There should be quite a smattering of both light and dark(black) orange at EOAR.

I may wear an Orange shirt:D
    drcool

ps thanks for the interlude DW, KTM's suck
  17. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    I might make it, close enough to work what the hay

:freaky
  18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Why I'll spend 4 hours on my bike and 40 bucks in fuel just to get free beer is beyond me :rofl

Glad to see your thread back Alex
  19. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:

You should show us all the new goodies on your beast :D

BTW I love the Desert Flow vid
  20. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    The overhead sand wash footage from the drone was top notch - eh :thumb AND and new band to follow - good tunes

DW