any Ontario riders out there on KTM 950/990

Discussion in 'Canada' started by adiablolex, Oct 18, 2007.

1. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'd love to see how the beastie turned out man

:freaky
  2. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    It's still lacking a glossy paint job before it's ready to show off and that's not going to happen until next fall after an order is placed with African Queens :wink:
  3. 4badboyz

4badboyz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    someone say free beer?:1drink
  4. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    to slow, that was Tuesday:lol3
    drcool
  5. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    queens eh?
  6. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Indeed...African ones at that :1drink

Think new rear end :rofl
  7. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    What kit are you thinking about?
    I have been thinking of a design for rear tanks but haven't decided on aluminum or fiberglass yet so I keep on tosing it in the back burner..:1drink
  8. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Was going to buy this kit (rear tanks and rear fender combo) last fall

http://www.africanqueens.de/html/rallyekappa.html

But then an Aussie lad pm'd me saying he was building rear tanks and would have them ready by mid winter so I held off to see what he dame up with.....money got spent on wheels which was probably a good thing.

I think aluminum would be the way to go for durability if your planning to make some or get some made.......who knows maybe it would be cost effective to make two sets and just use a Baja designs tail tidy kit :ear
  9. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I installed one of those extra tool trays under the seat a couple of weeks ago that are made by a Canuck in vendors.

Plan on buying one of those shorai batteries (2.5 pounds) on putting it in the original tool compartment which can be lengthened now that I don't have the exhaust headers under it. Kinda like this

http://www.africanqueens.de/html/rallye_kappa_24.html

Then I was thinking an ac converter would also fit there....the dream is to have a retractable extension cord on the bike to pull into my tent at night to charge laptop, camera, phone, vid cam and iPad :1drink. Also to run the extras on the bike while the bike is running (grips, gps's, heated gear which I don't on but will ome day).

By next spring this should be complete...no time for mechanics during the summer othervthan just keeping it running.

I still keep that old fuel pump stashed on the bike Alex, any idea how many km's are on it?
  10. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about running AC into your tent to charge your stuff Ted.

If so I'd suggest charging them with DC power from your battery. It doesn't make sense to convert from dc to ac and back to dc and if you arent using a true sine wave inverter the ac to dc chargers work horribly.
    Just use a fairly large wire if your running the dc a bit of a distance.:thumb
  11. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Was thinking of something along this line
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...iminator%2BPower-bar%2BInverter.jsp?locale=en

Splice it into a retractable extension cord that would be hard wired to the battery terminals. Lift seat and pull the power bar into the tent, maybe even have the "spool" of extension cord under the seat and a mount for this power bar tucked up near the rear shock or in the front fairing somewhere :ear
  12. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    You'll find any chargers will just create a load of heat (wasted power) and not charge all that well running of a cheap inverter like that. The quality of AC power they create is very poor.

I'd stick with direct connections to dc without all the converting if I was you.
  13. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the advice. You think an extension cord coming straight off the battery (with a surge protector on it) would be fine for laptops and other computer equipment (using DC) ? I am no electrican so sorry if this is a stupid question.
  14. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    You'd just need a charger for your laptop that is made to plug to 12vdc as you would with a cell phone.
    I believe laptops run at a higher voltage.
  15. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    All of my laptops want +/- 20vdc. Its a bit of a PITA cause you need a step up transformer but it is more efficient than invert up then step down.

I was looking at this for my Dell http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...ynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0

Plugs into standard cigar lighter socket that I have in tank bag and side case. This would likely consume half the juice of converting to 110vac then back to dc.

Hope that helps
    drcool
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Well that would take care of the laptop but what about the chargers for video camera, battery charger for cameras, phones, etc

Maybe I am off base but they call for ac current? Wouldn't this mean an inverter is required ? Maybe I'm misunderstanding...do you mean get dc chargers for all the gadgets?

:ear
  17. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:

How about Patricks set up on the Africa bike?
    That seemed well thought out, something to think about.
  18. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    yup.

it would be the most power efficient way.
    If you wanted to use ac chargers you'd have to go with a good quality sinewave inverter. It's life would most likely be limited on the bike though I would think.
  19. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    In all cases its the plug in transformer that requires AC. If it's got a battery it runs DC.

I also find a lot of the little gadgets will charge via usb and micro usb connections (5vdc i believe). Those can be plugged into your laptop as it charges or use the handy dandy cigar to usb converter that has a small stepdown transformer. I've also got one from something that steps 12 to 9v which seams to be a common voltage. You do need a selection of cords but they are small and easy to pack.

I'm still trying to deal with a few small gadgets that for now get charged via the smallest cigar plug inverter. Future gadget purchases will be evaluated with a new check on the list, "how do you charge it in the middle of BFE?"

as for lighting...if it isn't LED it's shite
    drcool
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the advice.

Gord I'm curious why you think an inverter would have a limited life span on a bike. The intent is only to use it during the evenings when the bike is stationary and drawing off the second battery on the bike so bringing the battery to empty is no big deal as it would charge the next day while riding.

Arth I did see Patricks setup...not quite what I had in mind as his is a bit bulky for my likes....I'm thinking of everything fitting into different cubby holes on the bike. Was at crappy tire today and I think one of the retractable extension cords will fit nicely in the upper front fairing and not be visible. Reach in and stretch fifteen feet of cord out and into the tent or over to a picnic table.

We'll see, a bit of cost versus convenience to research....dc adapters versus an inverter....extra load from inverter on battery may or may not be an issue and will need researching.

Thanks again, back to your regular scheduled orange programming :freaky