Any other mac users having issues connecting? Firefox issue? Starlink issue?

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by TrailTrauma, Feb 26, 2021.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, it's been a few weeks since I was able to load pages consistently without without my connection to advrider dropping. Happens about 40% of the time I switch pages, try and 'like' a post etc.

Umma bout ready to shoot myself in the face!

Macbook Pro 16 macOS Big Sur 11.2.2

Firefox Developer Edition Build 87.0b3 64-bit

By now I've run down every potential solution I could find online, or dream up.

I'm just really curious if a fellow Mac user, or even a Firefox user has been experiencing the same problem connecting to advrider in the past 2-3 weeks. I mean I was golden one hour, and connection hell the next. Advrider pages went from loading instantly to not at all some times.

If it isn't Firefox or a plugin (though I rebooted into safe mode, and tried without plugins etc and no dice), and it isn't Mac related then I thought it may be because I switched to Starlink internet shortly before. My issues didn't start directly after Starlink .. there was a good break between these two things.

And I did reach out to admins here, they looked into it and everything seems good on their end.

I get this error constantly:

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 23.56.05.png
  2. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    No issues here. Check your DNS setting or try the generic google or Cisco DNS and see if it an issue resolving the address, DNS cache, or just a connection issue.
  3. sleazy rider

sleazy rider Green thumbed fool

Oddometer:
    Mac user here. iOS and High Sierra using Chrome browser - no issue at all.
  4. AG200man

AG200man AG200 Nutjob

Oddometer:
    Using the same as you...mac + firefox, never got that error here.
  5. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Mac/ safari/duck duck go. here . My only issue is the page jumping around as ads open midpage . Makes it hard to follow a thread and read a long RR.
  6. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Having trouble finding" could indicate a dns problem, which would probably be your ISPs fault, unless you're pointing to another provider for it.
  7. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    At least other are doing fine. Must be on my end I guess. I'm focusing on my network, the Starlink variable, and Firefox. Changing one thing at a time, for 2 weeks now, in the hopes it no longer occurs. But so far every 3 click on this site is a fail to connect.

Also might be something I installed off github, which I'll look at or uninstall altogether.

I appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.
  8. sleazy rider

sleazy rider Green thumbed fool

Oddometer:
    Clear the browser cache and browsing history?
  9. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Yup. Tried it to no avail.

It's up to about every 3rd or 4th page attempt just hangs. Anywhere from 15 seconds to infinity. Super fucking annoying. But the moment I switch to my VPN, I'm ok, and the pages load right up.

Issue is I don't want to be on my VPN as a rule. Makes it challenging to do other tasks necessary on a regular basis.
  10. MtnRoamer

MtnRoamer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same. I load thousands of sites a week on this system and advrider is the only one I have consistent problems with on Starlink. The Browser, Computer, Operating System, or Router does not seem to matter (I have access to several of each).
  11. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    Open the Firefox dev tools and select "Network" and then browse around. When you get the "having trouble" page look and see what actual HTTP error code was returned for the page load. Report back.
  12. MtnRoamer

Oddometer:
    I suspect the slow image will be more interesting vs the timeout. I was able to duplicate the slowness on the initial call a number of times, and as you can see the subsequent calls happen quickly. The timeout is likely a result of the load time being so slow that it reaches the browsers default timeout. I can wrangle up a tcpdump, but it might not provide any additional useful data based on what I see here.

advrider_slow.jpg advrider_timeout.jpg
  13. MtnRoamer

Oddometer:
    I suspect this could be a slightly different issue. The Starlink Advrider issue is rather binary (i.e. it either loads or it does not).
  14. kneesels

kneesels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cannot access advrider with Mac, says something to the effect that warning certificate expired etc. I can access with PC. tried Mac and PC both while at work no go for Mac but can access with PC. Suggestions?
  15. kneesels

kneesels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    never mind it has started working
  16. MtnRoamer

Oddometer:
    I suspect you should be good now. It started working for me consistently just recently (given the number of variables I am not exactly sure what the fix was).
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  17. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:

Thanks for the heads up. At first glance, after surfing several threads just now without using my VPN is seems fine. Time will tell. But I won't not be surfing without the VPN, so it may be moot at this point. I bought a 3 yr VPN plan some time ago, and Starlink, ironically made that feasible. My other dinosaur of a Sat internet provider was so slow there was no way a VPN was feasible.