Any Reno-Tahoe-Carson Valley dualsport riders want to meet up?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Gangplank, Jul 19, 2010.

1. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    I have a pretty decent walking foot machine that will make strong stitches in webbing. I'm in and out these days as snow quality changes, but if I'm in town (Carson), I have a very flexible schedule. PM me.
  2. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Evan. As it happens, I just got a machine. Have not gotten a chance to try it yet, but if it fails, I`ll take you up on that offer.
  3. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  4. avconnect

avconnect Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for someone who can add a bike to their rig and bring it to Utah. Bike is located in the Reno area. Anywhere in Utah is acceptable.
  5. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heading to SLC from Bay area on Friday with an empty Sprinter. PM me.
  6. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would be nice to get a thank here for picking up and delivering bike for a very small fee.

Sigh....
  7. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    Thank you, and atta boy.....
  8. Retumbo7

Retumbo7 Engineer

Oddometer:
    Opening my riding season this weekend with three friends from the Bay. Basing out of Mound House and planning to explore south of Dayton (Eldorado Canyon, Mineral Peak, etc.) for a Saturday day trip. Have only been down that way once a few years ago so please let me know if you have any recommended trails. Sunday location TBD.

All in our early-mid 30s and athletic:
    2x Advanced/Intermediate (KTM 200, KTM 250)
    1x Intermediate (Husqvarna 250)
    1x Beginner/Intermediate (DRZ 400)

Hit me up if you're interested.
  9. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This person is gonna get worked.

The Pine Nuts further south, from Single Tree staging area is much better for beginner/intermediates.
    climberevan, Retumbo7 and soarseeker like this.
  10. Retumbo7

Retumbo7 Engineer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Will send him that way if it's too much. He has 10+ years of light dualsport experience (Yami TT600), but not much singletrack. Guy with the KTM 250 can also swap him for the DRZ as they are both his bikes.
  11. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    It’s been a few years. But Eldorado Cyn. Can be a bit of a rockfest in the creek bed
  12. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Eldorado Canyon , Saturday morning
    IMG_1204.JPG
    soarseeker, motowest, bdesj and 2 others like this.
  13. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Helloooo fellow Nevada inmates!

I'm very excited to be (re)joining the family...picking up a very beautiful 2011 KLR down near Carson tomorrow, and can't wait to get some protection fitted and then hitting some of the amazing off-pavement sights this area has to offer. I'm currently based in Stateline, and really looking forward to meeting up with some local riders to do some exploring!
    climberevan and rjnutt like this.
  14. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shot in the dark here...picked up my new KLR yesterday and rode it home from Carson to Stateline with zero problems. Checked the pressures this morning (I knew the tubes and tires needed replacing soon), but all checked out and I headed out for the 6-mile commute to work. A mile from the house, the front tube just lost all pressure and started wobbling like crazy. I didn't wipe out, but now my bike is stuck in a nearby parking lot, and I need some help trying to get it back home so I can get the wheels off and go get some new tires and tubes (and a center stand...)

Anybody in the Tahoe area have a truck or trailer and some ramps I could beg or borrow or rent for less than the cost of a rip-off tow truck? Happy to pay in beer or cash...
    casey790 likes this.
  15. casey790

casey790 n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m in Reno and have a truck and ramps. I could come help you after work if you want. Shoot me a pm.
    renogeorge likes this.
  16. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, @casey790 - I wound up just renting a trailer from U-Haul for $25...it's at home in the garage where I will scold it tonight, and then go about getting some new shoes :)
  17. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that the bike is safely home, I'm looking at getting some new shoes fitted. Who around Carson/Reno would you recommend for getting tires fitted and/or making sure I didn't screw up the rim this morning...
  18. Sxywrxy

Sxywrxy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try RMS, Road Rider and maybe the stealerships too in Reno. Can’t say how much they cost now since I have not needed a tire change in the last few years. I picked up my current ride just a few months ago. Good luck and hopefully my info helps.
  19. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    Dude, you're now a KLR rider. You will be summarily disowned by the KLR cognoscenti if you pay someone to change your tires.

Buy the cheapest Shinko DS tires you can find and do it yourself. If you can't wait for RMATVMC to deliver them, Carson Motorsports usually has a good stock.

Oh, and make sure pick up a milk crate for the rear rack while you're at it.

(For those with no sense of humor, I'll note that a KLR was my first bike, and I rode it 25k mi throughout Central America before selling it to an inmate.)
    gregkb, renogeorge, bdesj and 2 others like this.
  20. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    word
    gregkb likes this.