Any Reno-Tahoe-Carson Valley dualsport riders want to meet up?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Gangplank, Jul 19, 2010.

1. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    100% agreement with ClimberEvan. RMATTVMC = Rockymountain ATV, good prices and "JimmyJohns fast" delivery to northern Nevada, couple of cheap tire levers, I`ll donate a handful of little aluminum sticks (econo Bead Buddies), and you`ll know how to do it when you flat all alone in the boondocks. Is your tire or rim trashed, or the tire is just "due"? If you are available Sunday, I can help you stuff in a new tube to keep you rolling while you wait for brand new F/R rubber to be delivered. Or put on dark glasses and a disguise, sneak into RMS on Mill Street or the KTM shop on Rock. I dunno what is in Carson or Tahoe.
  2. rickbt

rickbt rickt

Oddometer:
    Another place is Testa in Minden Gardnerville but front tires are the easy ones to do.

Rick
  3. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Genesee Store (Beef • Beer • Books) has been renovated and has a pretty good restaurant. Food was great, prices are OK, wait time was a little long, but they're just getting started. Good selection of beers and excellent coffee.

[​IMG]

We got stuck in some snow on the dirt section of Beckwourth-Taylorsville road, but most of the stuff around Lake Davis and Antelope lake is clear. Snow's melting fast.
    soarseeker, bdesj and Bonnie & Clyde like this.
  4. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to stop there for a bite while bicycling. It's been closed since I discovered internal combustion- good to see it open again. Now will have to decide between Genesee and T-ville. Hmmmm...
  5. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last weekend I took a quick ride through Bordertown to Dog Valley (the low route with the creek crossing) and out Verdi. Went back this morning and took the high road via Crystal Peak. Will not be driving my wife's car on it this year. I wanted to go to 89 and see how Jackson Mdws Rd was melting, but didn't get that far. Very big snow drift right after the turnoff for Lemon Canon/Sierraville, so I turned around at the drift and took Lemon down for a coffee break at the Sierraville gas station. There were a lot of snowdrifts there too, but only one that required any huevos right above that Bear Something campground and OHV area. Looks like winter was fairly hard on most of the Henness Pass section. Really rutted from trucks playing in the mud along the south end of Sardine Valley. A deceptively deep and sharp edged hole tackled me and body slammed me on that stretch, left me with a mildly sprained wrist, gloves and boots full of mud, broke my camera that had been in a tank bag. That was enough for me, I didn't go back up 89 or over to check out Yuba. We're getting there, I guess.
    soarseeker, Smackit and rjnutt like this.
  6. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, everybody...I had to dip out of town for work, so this has just been sitting since I got it back hom. I got the new Shinko 705s in today, and the tubes should arrive tomorrow. I'm leaning toward doing it myself...going to borrow a couple of jack stands and a floor jack from a buddy, and just give the front wheel a go. And then figure out how to get the back wheel off using a similar setup. I'm really keen to go over the bike and swap the fluids out, run some Loctite on all the main bolts, and start some modding to get it ready to really go off road. But, I don't move into my new place (the one with the garage!!) until June, so I may just try to get it running so I can at least commute to work and back :)
    bdesj likes this.
  7. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That being said, while I'm waiting for my garage and tool space, if anyone local has a jack and some spoons and (maybe) a wheel balancer I could borrow, I'm more than happy to drive out and collect them and pay in the finest of Banquet Beers :)
  8. rickbt

rickbt rickt

Oddometer:
    Do you have a way to transport your bike? If so and if you can wait until the weekend or maybe after 5:00 pm on a weeknight I have what is needed to get the job done except for the balancer. I don't with that. I am in the Carson Valley.

Rick
    gregkb likes this.
  9. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Rick- I don’t currently have any way to transport the bike. I’m going to try to get the front wheel fixed this week with a home-grown solution with a floor jack and a 2x4 and see if I can get it rolling again :)
  10. rickbt

rickbt rickt

Oddometer:
    If you can get the front fixed ride it down. Another person and a milk crate will support the bike to get the wheel off. Any bike shop should have tire irons. I thought that there was a shop in South Lake Tahoe. We should get together but the weather forcast for the next week isn't very spring like. PM me when you get a chance.

Rick
  11. rickbt

rickbt rickt

Oddometer:
    If you can get the front fixed ride it down. Another person and a milk crate will get the front wheel off. I thought that there was a shop in SLT that worked on bikes and atv's. They should have tire irons. We should get together but the weather forcast for the next week or so isn't very spring like. PM me when you get a chance.

Rick
  12. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My new ADV forum pal @rickbt is going to help me swap out my back tire and tube on Saturday...I was thinking of heading down to Death Valley for a little roadtrip on Sunday, camping out, then heading back up on Monday. Going straight down 395 looks like the straightest route, but are there any better alternates to consider? Bear in mind I haven't been able to mod my bike at all yet, so it's only got the factory hand guards and skidplate...no real crash protection, so I'm not likely to go too far away from tarmac :)
  13. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    If you've never done it, 395 is super scenic. On the way back go over Sweetwater summit from Bridgeport for a little variation. If you're feeling like you can handle a graded dirt road, the high road (Burcham Flat) from Walker is very scenic as well. There were two 100' wide snow patches on the top a couple of weeks ago but I rode across/around them and I bet it's clear now. There are 100s of miles of mellow sandy roads around Mammoth. I do a Mammoth to Gardnerville route that stays west of 395 the whole way a few times a year, but it's more of a real enduro thing. There is so much to explore!
    gregkb likes this.
  14. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not very familiar with the options (do really like Burcham Flat Rd, though) but for some variety, you could always go down on the west side and come back on the east side, or vise versa.
    gregkb likes this.
  15. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been on Sand pass or smoke Creek or Soldier Meadows lately? I'm taking a group up to Cedarville going up through the area

Attached Files:

16. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking for someone to show me around Pee vine single track. Just looking for new places to ride singletrack. Pine nuts is pretty hammered these days because of all the fires. Riding TE150.

Or any other places?
  17. sharpie1

sharpie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try for a Peavine ride this weekend. Of course it will be with a group of older guys on 4 strokes...Probably Sunday
  18. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm old and out of shape. That's why I sold the 570 and went with something light. Sunday or Saturday will work for me.
  19. RoverTtx

RoverTtx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone. Bad news.
    It's our last day in Tahoe and after almost two weeks of being on the road our stuff got stolen.
    Last night we had a side bag for a VStrom 650 stolen out of our truck. Case was stolen near the hard Rock hotel in South lake Tahoe. Locals please keep an eye out for this or anything that was inside for sale soon, thanks.

Oem Suzuki alluminum Left VStrom 650 Adv case had:
    impact socket set inside
    Shoei rfsr clear visor in bag
    Blue overnight bag full of tools
    Scorpion ato sun visor
    Xl frog togs green top
    Black rain pants
    2Xl black held gloves -gortex
    Possibly had cycle gear heated gloves (need to check) IMG_20190605_130807019_HDR~2.jpg
  20. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear, I will keep an eye out.
    RoverTtx likes this.