Any Reno-Tahoe-Carson Valley dualsport riders want to meet up?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Gangplank, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Let me know if these above work. maybe rob or rick can post actual tracks ridden?
  2. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing. Here's those tracks...

Remember the days when people would say "this thread is useless without pics" ? I tend to think the GPS tracks are equally important.

Attached Files:

3. rickbt

rickbt rickt

Oddometer:
    This should be a track of what was ridden. I did make an effort to get a picture, but failed. How did you get a picture of the track. I did a print screen of the base camp image and brought that into paint but I screwed up the cropping crap. What is the secret ???

Rick

Attached Files:

Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  4. Smackit

Oddometer:
    I usually open the track in Basecamp, right mouse click it in the left hand list and select "View In Google Earth". Once it's in Google Earth, I can put the Google Map Layer under it. Then I just take a screenshot and open it in Photoshop...save as JPEG. Upload to ADVRider

Minor pain in the ass, but it's so much better when trying to understand where the heck people are going on these crazy adventures.

20190729.jpg

Thanks for sharing the full GPS track, just need to figure out where those water crossings were so I can avoid them
    motowest and Bonnie & Clyde like this.
  5. rickbt

rickbt rickt

Oddometer:
    If you follow the track in it's original direction they will be right after you should take a left turn that will lead you back to 395. Just remember you will be missing the fun part.

Rick
  6. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    @Smackit like rickbt said the water crossings are on desert creek road that go out to Wellington in Smith valley off of risue rd.

Smackit thanks for putting up with us neophytes and making sense of our tracks. I appreciate when you post your tracks as well. The screen shot off our ride looks cool thanks
  7. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Umm, there is nothing fun about any water crossing over three inches deep!!
  8. rickbt

rickbt rickt

Oddometer:
    Smackit

I tried what you did to get am image from Base Camp. Right clicking in the left area did not give me the option to view in google maps. I am running version 4.7.0. What version do you have? I also don't have Photoshop but I think I could use paint.

Anyway if you turn west on Risue road at 38 degrees 35.748, 119 degrees 20.182 and back track your track coming in it will get you back to 395. Coming in we took a turn east on what I was told is Ricky Canyon and took that over to Risue. That can be bypassed going both ways.

Also thanks for your pictures and tracks.

Water crossing may not be fun but they are memorable and picture worthy.

Rick
    Bonnie & Clyde and rjnutt like this.
  9. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd bump this back up and ask a DMV type question. I have converted/plated several dirt bikes in NV over the years. I have a question about something I haven't done yet What is the process to NV plate a bike which has been converted and plated in another state? Is it (hopefully) like any other vehicle--VIN inspection, proof of insurance and $$?

Thanks
  10. Dirty Sailor

Dirty Sailor Weekend Warrior

Oddometer:
    My guess is that It should be easy for you because the bike already has a plate.
    I just plated a new two stroke in Reno. The KTM dealer set it all up but basically the bike had to get front and rear blinkers, brake light, horn and DOT tires. Tractionator Enduro IT tires are great! Then inspected.
    Call Reno KTM and ask, I’m sure they could help
  11. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Anyone actually plated one?
  12. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    I had to do the whole inspection deal with my WR450F since the VIN kept popping up as a dirt bike. That has been several years ago on an AZ plated bike.
    renogeorge likes this.
  13. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    That's just what I am hoping won't happen....obviously
  14. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Provided the bike has all the goodies, is the inspection really that big of a deal? Have never gone that route myself, but considering it, and thought it was supposed to be pretty simple in NV. And due to availability in our little market, have also been window shopping Sacramento CL, so interested to hear about George's question.
  15. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Just walk in like you own the place and plop your paperwork on the counter like it’s done every day. The bureaucratic inertia may grab you and shit you out the other end, or, they will hand it all back and kick you to the curb with a three page to-do list...
  16. MojoRooster

MojoRooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  17. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    The inspection by a bike shop is no big deal. Getting all the stuff to pass it is a little bit of a PIA--turn signals, horn, mirrors, high and low beam headlight, stop light switches on front and rear brakes, odometer. I haven't been snagged for off road tires. But I guess it could happen without DOT tires. AZ is a lot easier.....

I'm selling an AZ plated 300 KTM. That's why I asked
  18. Smackit

Oddometer:
    and reflectors...don't forget those pesky reflectors. Orange in front, red in the rear, left and right sides. The DOT tire issue can be a bit of a PIA, but there are usually inmates here with DOT approved takeoffs that get passed around.
    renogeorge likes this.
  19. 211john

211john Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    George, I have some DOT takeoffs if you need them. Tires and reflectors are all the inspector ever checked. If it has a street title from AZ I don't think you even need the inspection. Just take the title in and transfer it.

If you are just trying to verify things so your buyer can do it, there is a phone number for the dmv somewhere. You may be on hold for a bit but they should give you a straight answer.
  20. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I’ll do some more checking. Seems like at least VIN inspection required.