Any Reno-Tahoe-Carson Valley dualsport riders want to meet up?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Gangplank, Jul 19, 2010.

1. bdesj

bdesj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Selling Denio Junction I hope, not Fields? I like both of them, but DJ has been a bit flakey over the past 10 or 15 years- closed, open, no gas, out of gas, multiple ownership changes, etc. Fields is a detour from the roads that I need to be on, but has always been dependable.
  2. WestSlopeNorCal

WestSlopeNorCal Mark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuel is indeed a concern for this entire region.

Fields, Denio, and Gerlach, or even Empire can all have fuel but best to call ahead as in a worse case scenario you could miss in all of these. I always carry spare fuel anywhere north of Empire.

Talk nice to the folks at Soldier Meadows and they have at times sold me fuel but that has been some years ago.

I once had to beg fuel from a rancher in eastern Oregon. Luckily my wife was riding pillion and made our case well.
    squidchief likes this.
  3. WestSlopeNorCal

WestSlopeNorCal Mark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Food is indeed good in Fields and other supplies are also available. Approaching Fields from the north I find it very easy to burn fuel quickly.
  4. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just did that road a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised to see fuel available in Empire. Gerlach had fuel as well. The Soldier Meadows road is almost highway quality. We've had a pretty dry winter so the rods didn't take much of a beating. Keep your eyes open for a small cabin on your left just a couple of miles after Mud Meadows reservoir. Nice little spot to rest for a bit. Numerous hot springs within a ten mile radius of it. Things got little bumpy approaching the reservation but nothing too serious. We took Knott Creek Ranch road and then headed up to Onion valley Reservoir. That last couple of miles stretch heading up after the creek crossing was a bit greasy and rutted out but it was worth it once we made it up to the reservoir. Doubling back and going on to Denio the roads were great. Knott Creek ranch road hauls ass so don't be in too much a sightseeing mood. Was surprised we didn't see any wild burros in that area this last time. Typically there's a couple herds of them around the Alder Ranch and Knott Creek ranch roads. Denio had plenty of fuel and seemed to be well stocked. The grill was going full blast and cold beers were available at the bar. Rooms were for rent next door at the motel. What more could you ask for. When in Denio, don't forget you're real close to propeller meadows. There's another thread around here somewhere of some inmates that made a trek up there and planted a placard. Pretty damn cool. Enjoy your ride, it should be fun...... and hot as hell. Bring agua!
  5. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Actually the good folks that own Fields said they were wanting to retire. This is from memory but think that is right. They do have great food and it's a big serving. Last time I was there a home built Kit Fox plane landed taxied up and parked got lunch and took off down the highway;)
  6. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    I called Fields yesterday and they said they are open with gas.
  7. bdesj

bdesj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Juan from Grass Valley (somebody please help me with his ADVR user name) has a YT vid posted of landing his private plane on the highway at Fields. Pretty cool. I sure hope the folks who own that place don't retire and shut down before they find somebody to turn it over to.
    catfish likes this.
  8. knobbyjoe

Oddometer:
    Here ya go, more landings at Fields with the google " utube Landing at Fields Or"

Nice taildragger control :)
  9. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s visualzerent .
    bdesj likes this.
  10. tpappas

tpappas Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Blancolirio
  11. tpappas

tpappas Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He has a great channel
  12. knobbyjoe

Oddometer:
    Here it is
  13. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    Helllllllooooooo Reno

Anybody ridin?
  14. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    @Bonnie & Clyde and I just did a 1750 mile jaunt last week about 90% of which was off highway. Going to head down to Mt. Pat area this week before the snow flies.
    bdesj, renogeorge and Bonnie & Clyde like this.
  15. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
  16. sharpie1

sharpie1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you all healed up????
  17. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    not even close, but a boy can dream.
    sharpie1 likes this.
  18. azimuth551

azimuth551 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How old is this thread? Something new or outdated? There is an local forum also on ADV Rider
    Brent
  19. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    It's strange how quiet this thread is with all the people who ride in this area. Never understood it
    knobbyjoe and Rips Millar like this.
  20. knobbyjoe

Oddometer:
    Reno rider - I'm ready to go, dirt, street or adventure ride.

Been riding solo most of the time the last couple years. I'd rather have a buddy though for safety and camaraderie.

I'm getting older but still very capable. My issue is I am not into pushing the speed or the miles these days. I don't mind gnarly trails or dirt just like an easy pace, reasonable miles per day and time to stop and "smell the roses."

If anyone is in the same mind set give me a PM. I am into Jeeping with several overland clubs so maybe on the trail but motorcycle riding is still a something I will make time for and prioritize.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Boxerbreath, dlock5, SierraCB and 7 others like this.