Any Reno-Tahoe-Carson Valley dualsport riders want to meet up?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Gangplank, Jul 19, 2010.

1. millertimesm

millertimesm Tahoe Lurkin

Oddometer:
    What up Fellas been riding up in South Lake Tahoe area for years. Recently sold the husky 610sm and purchased a KTM 1290 sar. New bike has been awesome! Last weekend I did a solo ride soda springs rd- foresthill rd. Looking for some like minded individuals who are down to explore on big bikes and drink good beer! I know its kinda late in the season but can always venture off the hill as well.
  2. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    I'm up for a ride. How about Reno to Carson up 50 take Genoa Peak road/trail over to Kingsbury Grade and down, cross over 88 to a 4x4 route to the back end of Indian Valley Reservoir to Highway 4/89 to Markleeville for a beer. Any day this week looks good weather wise.

Rode this route about month ago on my 990 Adv. Nothing a big Adventure bike can't handle and just a bit more rugged in places than Soda Springs road.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/nevada/genoa-peak-road

Note: Just read Genoa Peak road closed 9-14! Still could do the route and stay on pavement and bypassing this trail by going through south Tahoe to Kingsbury Grade.
    Note#2: USFS page says open so we can check it out one way or another.
  3. millertimesm

Oddometer:
    if we going down that way iggys & sqiggleys might have to happen!
    Bonnie & Clyde and knobbyjoe like this.
  4. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    i'm down for a street ride Saturday, just not quite ready for the dirt yet. if anybody wants to go post up.
  5. knobbyjoe

Oddometer:
    Rips, Nothing has been confirmed yet for a ride this Saturday so I'm still open for a street ride. Any ideas for a meetup location and where you would like to ride?
    Rips Millar likes this.
  6. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    i had some surgery 3 weeks ago so i'm gonna go out for a short one today and see how i feel and i will report back, we could simply go up to VC or the lake, or we could go further like hwy 4 or something....let me get back to ya!
  7. knobbyjoe

Oddometer:
    Ok that's good for me don't need a long ride and highway 4 would be good. I went out myself for a tune up ride yesterday after doing some electrical maintenance on the 990. Very good riding weather if you get home before dark.
    Rips Millar likes this.
  8. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    i'm good to go. Hwy 4 sounds great. i'm thinking pack a deli sandwich and picnic it up on the hill somewhere? if we meet at 11 it will be lunchtime when we get to the pretty stuff. sound good? how about the mcdonalds in the little strip mall on mt rose hwy right as you get off the highway and go up mt rose it's on the right? all welcome. boring first hour as we make it down to markleeville then the fun starts!
    knobbyjoe likes this.
  9. knobbyjoe

Oddometer:
    That's a good plan will be there.
    Rips Millar likes this.
  10. casey790

casey790 n00b

Oddometer:
    Mind if I tag along? I’ll be on my triumph speed triple.
  11. knobbyjoe

Oddometer:
    You're invited good to have you.

I'm going to get a sandwich at Raley's in the same shopping center as the McDonalds for lunch up on Ebbets Pass. Fall colors will be in their full glory.
    Rips Millar likes this.
  12. millertimesm

Oddometer:
    im in for sure
    Rips Millar and knobbyjoe like this.
  13. millertimesm

Oddometer:
    alpine lake lodge has some good food if we are trying to get adventurous? or picnic it?
  14. knobbyjoe

Oddometer:
    That would be a good idea but their web site says they have closed... I think bringing a lunch is the action for tomorrow.

https://lakealpinelodge.com/amenities

The Lake Alpine Lodge provides a healthy, affordable, and delightful dining experience. The restaurant is open daily from 11-6. The last day of the 2020 season will be Sunday, October 4th.
    Rips Millar likes this.
  15. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    So, normally, when a few guys on 990's and 1290's get together and go for a ride together, and one of those guys shows up with somebody on a 250.....and that person on the 250 happens to be a girl, (NTTIAWWT) i tend to formulate an opinion on how the day is gonna go....:fpalm

Well boy was i mistaken, @millertimesm 's friend Joanna made that little bike rip!!!! We didn't wait for her once, in fact i was havin a hard time keepin in front of her on the connector roads between Avery and Pioneer, it was a hoot! Goin up hwy 88 we were doin mellow 1290 speeds of 70-80 and she was doing everything she could to keep up, it was pretty fun, good for her!!:clap

So, 5 of us, good ride, back just before dark. Thanks all.:rayof
  16. millertimesm

Oddometer:
    Hahah Rips Millar I thought that in my head when we were showing up. Since she is familiar with that highway I decided to bring her. If we were doing a different faster route im sure she would have backed out anyways. The ride all n all turned out very well! W e all kept the rubber side down and no bike failures, except for Casey's bike not starting after the first stop on top of the peak, I got nervous for a second! He ended up just jiggling the clutch cable/ putting it in neutral and she fired right up...
    pics:
    found out the river spot we stopped at is called Macks Gultch
    south Lake Tahoe > markleeville> highway 4> Avery Sheep ranch Road> Rail rd Flat> highway 26> highway 88 > and back to Tahoe was a great loop!

Attached Files:

17. millertimesm

Oddometer:
    Wanted to get another ride in this weekend but doesn't look like mother nauture will be allowing that :(
  18. Ppppnut

Ppppnut n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Rips Millar! Haha, this post definitely made me giggle! :) I'm glad I didn't disappoint & I'm super stoked I was able to join you guys on that ride! Thanks for giving me the chance & not backing out when the little blonde girl showed up. I had a blast, I love hwy 4! I look forward to getting a bigger bike next Spring, but I love my XT250 for the local windy road/mountain riding. Not bad for my first 4 months riding a Motorcycle and the street =) - Ppppnut (Joanna)
  19. knobbyjoe

Oddometer:
    I was following and saw two good riders on 1290's burning and turning and right behind them was a little blue 250 looking like a pro right on their tail through the turns. Joanna is the real deal, sweet as pie and swift as the best adventure riders.
    Ppppnut, Rips Millar and renogeorge like this.
  20. Ppppnut

Ppppnut n00b

Oddometer:

Awe - thank you <3
    millertimesm likes this.