1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Saskatchewan riders in here, need route advice?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jdrocks, Feb 9, 2021.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Looking for route advice from the Montana border to LaRonge. Interesting roads, graded gravel ok, and i want to bypass all large cities...I get enough of the metro area scene below 49. Camping all the way, so any recommendations there would also be appreciated. Might fish a little too.

Could be a pipe dream to have the border open in 2021, but if so, I want to have a route in the GPS.

50 years above 49th, this Wuhan border closing crap has been a setback, although I 100% agree it was and is necessary. If it opens, I have places to go.
  2. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    Whenever you do get to cross the border, cross over on the Alberta (Wild Horse Crossing) or the Saskatchewan side (Willow Creek) then spend some time wandering the ranch roads through the Cypress Hills.

After that there is literally a gravel grid road every mile east-west and every 2 miles north-south across the entire agricultural area of the province - up to about Prince Albert.

When you get tired of the gravel and flatlands, find some pavement and head NE till you get tired of pavement, then find some more gravel and repeat.

The TCAT gps files are here: https://www.graveltravel.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=4&Itemid=7

Mix and match what works going in your general direction.

It is hard to get lost in Saskatchewan knowing how the grid road system works.

Attached is a GPS file I have, but I left the flatlands some years ago - but it is still a good guide (roads are rarely ever eliminated).

Have fun dreaming about the day when the border opens.

Attached Files:

3. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info, i came down from Cold Lake on the AB/SK border and crossed at Wild Horse, then down to Havre. i should have clarified, this time i'm coming from the east, so i don't want to get as far west as Wild Horse. to get better lined up with LaRonge longitude, i'd cross in eastern Montana, maybe western North Dakota, staying east of Prince Albert before connecting with 2.
  4. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:

...... OK, then you will miss the best part in my view (western half), but the grid roads are much more regular on the eastern side as there is less grazing lands.
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    got to be more than just grid roads, especially the farther north you travel. i see some lakes, parks, and so on. one route must be better than another.
  6. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:

See all those small red and green lines around those squares............those are the grid roads
    [​IMG]

That grid of roads covers the province right up to the forest.

[​IMG]

If you are entering in the SE corner and moving NNW the Main physical features are Moose Mtn (pimple in reality, but a MOUNTAIN in Saskatchewan), followed by the Qu'appelle Valley (deep post glacial runway that runs east-west), followed by the Saskatchewan River Valley (again post glacial runway that runs SW-NE).

Flying, it is 700km from North Portal to LaRonge. The most direct driving route is about 890km of horizon to horizon roadway.

I am not sure what your expectations for Saskatchewan are, but it is largely one big flat place - the "Land of Living Skies" and squared off motorcycle tires.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    gpfan likes this.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    no problem with flat, and i'm not easily bored by what is new country to me. i have lots of interests, there's always something to see. i've been other places in Canada that are so open you can see the curvature of the earth, i wouldn't pass up a chance.

how about above 55?...120, 926, 969. looks like there are some smaller roads in there too.
  8. snobear

snobear Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you follow the TCAT through the NE you will see a lot more than flat sask, lots of forest roads and lakes, over Narrow Hills and up Harding road lots on great riding
  9. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i'm going to take another look at the TCAT roads, west to east. i had planned to go over the top through Flin Flon/La Pas, but might have to rethink that choice. the only thing on the Manitoba list is to bypass Winnipeg, been there 4 times.
  10. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    In the exploring that I've done crisscrossing the prairies, I've found some real jewels that stand out. As OMS mentioned, pretty flat, but the hills and valleys can be a real surprise. The great sandhills SE of Leader SK is a genuine desert, miles of sand dunes. Further south, there are hilly badlands, coulees and hoodoos, wild wild west, sparsely settled with large areas still natural. The Big Muddy Valley, Grasslands Nat'l Park, Frenchman River Valley (and in Alberta the Milk River Valley & Writing on Stone Provincial Park!), and the Cypress Hills region are favorites of mine, like straight out of a western movie... and they have shot western movies in those regions! There are some real jewels for camping - in the SE, Moose Mountain Provincial park is a great camping experience and has a bush road cutting east to west thru it. Another raised forested area like that is Greenwater Lake Provincial Park, headwaters of the Assiniboine River! The Qu'Appelle valley is a fantastic experience, and one of my favorite campgrounds is there, at Crooked Lake Provincial Park. Check out some of my ride reports (in my signature line), lots of pics of things to see in Saskatchewan.
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info.

connecting the TCAT into Manitoba, i've been through that area several times, including some of the same roads. there was no TCAT back then.