Any Super Tenere owners tried putting her on a diet?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Stoic96, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Paul466

Paul466 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s why considering the weight of the bike I found the”worldcrosser” carbon bits ridiculous if they claim “weight savings”,they look cool but not cool enough for the CRAZY price. Now GYTR Yamaha Super Tenere carbon fiber frame & swingarm option would turn some weight saving heads! Would love to see the price on that.
  2. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, sounds like that fad KTM diet I keep hearing about.:wink::D
  3. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stripped the parts off of the rear of my bike earlier today. Quite a bit of stuff actually.

Can't bring myself to remove the centerstand. Use it too much.

Need to do the battery. Will get one on order.

Have to look really good to see what other possible weight savings can be had without removing functionality.
  4. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took some things off of ours and weighed them, then weighed the stuff I put back on. Managed to take 20 lbs of bits off, but then put 35 lbs of protection, rear rack and pannier mounts back on it. If I swap out the header, it will save another 8-10. The absolute BEST case scenario is that I get it back down to stock weight before adding the luggage and protection bits on.

The battery will save a few pounds, but the lead/acid battery is low down and will last for years. I'm not changing it until it needs it.
    16873 likes this.
  5. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20180422_145223.jpg
    IMG_20180422_145207.jpg
    IMG_20180422_145148.jpg

Weight reduction take 1.

Removed the rear rack, exhaust heat shield, passenger pegs, grab handles, front reflectors, and the adjustable windshield bracket.

That is the Givi Airflow that allows the bracket removal.

Any companies want to make titanium side stand and centerstand?

The bike looks really low in the rear with the parts gone.
    Peke likes this.
  6. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Mine lasted a year and even when it was brand new it never garnered a of confidence. My LiFe Scorpion on the other hand spins it over easily even in the teens since it has over twice the CCA and since it has low battery voltage protection, it saved itself from my stupidity when I left the key on for a week.

But I agree, I wouldn't buy a replacement till it needed it.
    Deathsoswiftly and 16873 like this.
  7. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Corbin prolly weighs 3Xs what the stock seat weighs!!!
  8. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the price of seat comfort.

Unless there is a model that has significant savings, the Corbin can stay.

I wasn't planning on a header but 10 lbs? Plus a few hp... I could get into that!
  9. HydroDog

HydroDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you going to strip off the ABS?

I thought about doing the same thing you are doing. I have a KTM 640e that I have been thinking of ditching and buying a high mileage Tenere to strip.
  10. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    I went the other way.

Made is as lardy as possible to soak up the crashes.

Worked well too. The wife and I came off on ice coming down the Andes (i.e. middle of f..king nowhere) and just picked the bike back up and rode off.

I like it lardy, in fact, you could say it has an exo-skeleton.
    Vrode likes this.
  11. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure yet as going too extreme could result in the value really plummeting on the bike.

It would be a nice weight savings and having a non-linked brake would be great.

Also, not sure what affect it may have on the cruise control.
  12. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering how hot the muffler will get? Are your legs forward of it when you ride?

Also have a question on the brakes. How does the ABS and linked system work off road? Is it an asset? Or do you disable it? Reason I ask is a buddy of mine has owned his since they first came out. He says the brakes are more than adequate just left alone when hitting the dirt.
  13. Sleepyc

Sleepyc ClevelandMoto Podcast, Tune in!

Oddometer:
    I ride around town with all that shite strapped on. I bring clothes, laptop, gym clothes, etc etc ect with me. It's why I bought the S10. I can bring all I need with me. Don't judge if you don't know why people do certain things...:hmmmmm
    steve68steve likes this.
  14. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Muffler is well out of the way.

As for brakes, I don't mind having front ABS but I could do without the rear.

I want to be able to lock and slide around corners.

It is also a function of the traction control which is a major hindrance if doing anything other than hard pack or dirt roading.

As a matter of fact, my biggest issue when getting the Tenere going out in the dirt is when I forget to turn off TC and proceed to get stuck when the bike cuts power on a hill or in the soft stuff and you come to a halt.
  15. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

My bike commutes, gets groceries, hardware, gas, runs errands, etc. I don't have a car to use as a DD.

I always carry tire patching gear (has saved my bacon), straps in case I have to carry something which won't fit in the bags, rain gear, reading glasses and flashlight. I don't carry tools (besides tire patching). On work days, add a lunch bag, thermos, and a cover to keep it from getting soaked a/o cooked in the sun for 45 hours/ week. In shoulder seasons I also carry a balaclava and cold weather gloves, and a jacket and hat for off the bike at work.

I ride my bike 70 miles/ day 5 days/ week.

I don't feel like I'm over-packed, but all that shite doesn't fit in my pockets.
  16. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spoke to my Yamaha dealer about ABS removal and they said call next week and they will place a call to Yamaha tech department to get info.
    ballisticexchris likes this.
  17. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not worked on stripping any more weight from the bike.

I did learn yesterday that even though you have abs, you can still toss it in the dirt on loose terrain. Exactly that happened yesterday.

Really thinking about that stripper route with my bike now.
  18. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the replacement headers weight reduction due to better design/lighter materials or lack of catalytic converter?

Is the performance improvement that comes with replacing the headers due to better design/larger diameter pipes or lack of a catalytic converter?
  19. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    My intention is to ride on shitty roads, to get to different places... not off-road...so the crash bars and the skid plate are there for an un-foreseen 'o crap', or when I run out of talent.... not worried about the weight... I can pick it up easily. This spring it miraculously weighted 40lbs lighter....but none of my gear fit anymore...lol... time to spend more $$...lol
  20. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure a bunch of the weight is the catalyst, but the piping around the cat is very thick also. The header has a better collector design, in my opinion, largely due to there not being a catalyst where the merge is. The pipe diameter isn't probably a large factor, I'd say more the design and lack of a catalyst for the improvement.

I wasn't originally going to get one, but I'm leaning that direction now. A header and a reflash to go with the muffler.
    twinrider likes this.