Any triumph 800xc owners wish they would have bought a BMW F800gs?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Big Poppa T, May 18, 2013.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The AT is very BMW like but with better suspension. I've mentioned elsewhere that I was surprised I didn't like it as much as I thought I would when I rode one. I was sure it was going to be my next bike. It's all about checking boxes and everyone's priorities and likes are different.

I agree that it's great we have an ever increasing number of options in the "all roads" market.
    Black Rhino likes this.
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    However then you could say the same thing about the BMW, they compared it to the GSA rather than the GS

Your spot on about the reviews, and not just mag reviews any reviews, there just personal opinions and all these bikes do some things better than others, it all comes down to what you rank higher in your priorities and psersonal choices.
  3. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely not regretting my XCX purchase. My buddy with the GSA is starting to be bothered by the vibrations. He is seriously considering switching to an Africa Twin. We were both impressed with how smooth the engine is.
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell him to go for a ride on a 450 or 650, he'll love getting back on the smooth GS
  5. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He has had a XR650L, 2 KLR 650s and a XR650R plated. He knows what vibrations are. Lots of highway to get to any new and interesting riding any more.
  6. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't resist BD. He could do as you suggest , but then ride his mate's Tiger and find out what really silky smooth is!!!! (sorry in advance mate)

All silliness aside, I am waiting for the chance to go for a ride but we have had flooding rains and I am convalescing from ENT surgery. It is this time of year that the south coast weather almost makes me think of relocation up your way for a few months.

Funny thing about vibration is that you adapt to it after a while, then you ride something better and realize what you have been putting up with . It is relative though; I couldn't get over how much more my mate's DR650 vibrated compared to my DRZ400. But I had ridden a DR650 for 15 years prior and adapted to it.
  7. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some people like character in a bike, but if smooth as you can get is your aim why aren't you riding 4cyl or rotarys.
  8. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    They don't fit between the trees too well! Character is fine as long as your vision isn't blurred, your wrists are sore after a few hours and your back fillings are rattling out. Scratch the last one; that is good for business.
  9. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    I think both bikes have character. Yes , the general consensus is the GS is a better off road unit , and the Tiger on road. I have yet to ride a GS (don't know anybody that has one , and I doubt the dealer wants me to take one out for a test ride in the environment I torment my Tiger in.......:lol3 ) , but making the Tiger "better" off road is a relatively easy thing to do. I would imagine less than 500 bucks (suspension goodies , regear , etc) by the DYI type greatly improves the triples prowess off road. Still , I know many will die under the brand flag they are flying currently , but I think good healthy competition between the manufacturers ultimately produces a better bike for everyone.
    Lushtrucker likes this.
  10. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's something wrong with the bike if it vibrates like that, 1000km up the highway on mine very enjoyable

You gays are dreaming are you think F8's vibrate like that
  11. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:

No I was thinking of my DR650 and other singles like the 640 KTM. I would assume that a twin shouldn't vibrate that much.

Typo? gays? Just wondering.
  12. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahah, bloody autocorrect, when did it learn to type to what I was thinking :D

Now if they came like this maybe there would be some regrets

image.jpeg
  13. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a bit garrish for those with British tastes.

This thread is nine pages long now. PERHAPS it is time we ended it by answering the OP's question.

Not many Tiger owners are disaffected and those who are are more likely to buy an AT rather than a BMW.

The end.
    Lushtrucker likes this.
  14. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've test ridden an F800GS this weekend and I didn't like the motor at all - I'm coming off a hyperstrada and before that a street triple. it felt sorty wheezy and under acceleration the vibrations through the bars was pretty bad. at constant 70mph it was smooth though.

I'm going to ride a tiger in the next week or two as I try to figure out what my next bike will be. I expect street triple smoothness, but less power/excitement. I hope I feel like it is exciting enough though, because I'm really considering an xrx for my hyperstrada replacement now that I've ruled out the 800GS (my other choice was an FJ09 and .... its just too ugly.)
  15. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    It's plenty exciting between 6 and 10K rpm, so don't expect to see that on a brand new one, at least not according to break-in procedures.
    Otherwise it's just smoothness all the way. Likely the slickest shifting bike I've ever ridden. :thumb

Even after buying a new 1200GS I still wouldn't even consider a F800. In my experience there's just no comparison to the Tiger. Everybody has an opinion of course! :beer
  16. Black Rhino

Oddometer:
    Comments like that are going to get you banned from Gspot. :D
    browneye likes this.
  17. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Brang it. :chace
    Black Rhino likes this.
  18. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a Tiger 800 Roadie when they first came out. Only reason I sold it was I moved for work and I didn't want a bunch of bikes sitting in an apartment parking lot until I could get a more permanent home. Sold everything but my Street Triple. I have a soft spot for Triumphs and the Triple engine in particular. Sold my Vstrom recently and the Tiger XCX is high on my replacement list. Rode the F800 and want to like it, but the motor just doesn't do it for me. To each his own of course, that's why there are so many great choices...
  19. Lushtrucker

Lushtrucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a street triple as well, dropping the Tiger 800 counter sprocket to a 15 tooth makes it feel a lot more like the 675 than stock.
  20. Black Rhino

Oddometer:
    And it dramatically improves the low speed off road stuff. One of the complaints that is regularly brought up about the Tiger is its off road prowess Vs. the GS. That one tooth is a major improvement (and makes power wheelies more fun too).